Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

Missing menu after Wordpress upgrade

Old Dec 10, 2015, 02:19 AM
tfarrell

43 posts · Dec 2012
Ireland
Hello
I updated Wordpress to the latest 4.4 and the menu has disappeared from the site. All the settings in the Menu seem to be unchanged but there is no menu on the site.

http://careersnews.ie

Hope you can help

TF
Old Dec 10, 2015, 04:34 PM
tfarrell

43 posts · Dec 2012
Ireland
Two files attached.
Whatever is in these has not been changed for a number of weeks - long before the update of WP.

Thanks.
TF
Attached Files
File Type: txt HEADER.TXT (146 Bytes, 1462 views)
File Type: txt ata-wwwcareersnewsie-20151210.txt (16.6 KB, 1612 views)
Old Dec 10, 2015, 06:58 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
very odd, your settings with WP 4.4 for me work fine - are you using atahualpa 3.7.24?
Old Dec 11, 2015, 01:17 AM
tfarrell

43 posts · Dec 2012
Ireland
Yes I am using 3.7.24
Old Dec 11, 2015, 02:02 AM
tfarrell

43 posts · Dec 2012
Ireland
I can give you a log in if that might help.

TF
Old Dec 11, 2015, 03:11 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Yes send me a PM with an admin ID/PW and I'll poke around a bit
Old Dec 11, 2015, 07:19 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
I'm not sure exactly what is happening, but I think it is a wordpress (??) issue. I created a new menu and when I assigned it to menu location 1, it showed up. Try it yourself.

My suggestion is to recreate the main menu
Old Dec 11, 2015, 07:31 AM
tfarrell

43 posts · Dec 2012
Ireland
OK
Thanks for that so far. Is there any way of copying the existing menu to a new one or of exporting its settings?
Can this be reported to WP and see if they have a solution.

I have another issue not related to the theme but caused by the update. Over 300 links to graphics are broken and as you know fixing all that is a lot of work.

TF
Old Dec 11, 2015, 07:53 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Quote:
Is there any way of copying the existing menu to a new one or of exporting its settings?
Not thhat I'm aware of, but there might be.
Quote:
Can this be reported to WP and see if they have a solution.
you can report it, but I'd try it with twenty-fifteen first. If it works there then it might be a theme issue, but since the test menu works, it could even be a database issue?? - to find out someone would have to spend some time playing with the site...or better yet, a copy of it.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 05:21 AM
tfarrell

43 posts · Dec 2012
Ireland
Hello

I didn't get much work done on this for the last few weeks. I have started to work on the menu again and am getting some very odd problems. At one point the menu just disappeared from the site after I added some items to it.

I deleted the menu in admin and when I looked at the site it had a menu listing every page I had.
I then started to create a new menu with only one item and it came up fine. However as I add more items to it at some point it disappears again. When I reduce the number of items it just comes back OK.

Any idea of what might be going on?
Thanks
TF
Old Jan 5, 2016, 11:59 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
No idea. Could be a plugin conflict, could be some corruption in the database. Do you have a caching plugin?
Old Jan 5, 2016, 04:35 PM
cefiar

24 posts · Jun 2014
Melbourne, Australia
@tfarrell : Have you tried the patch in the following link? http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=23360

Wondering if this is somehow related to the bug I discovered not long after 4.4 was released.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 05:05 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
(Head slap) mustn't have caught up from the holidays if I forgot about that already...sigh...good find @cefiar
Old Jan 6, 2016, 02:48 PM
cefiar

24 posts · Jun 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Also possibly related is that there are a bunch of fixes in WP 4.4.1 which has just been released: https://codex.wordpress.org/Version_4.4.1 Some of these appear to be related to Menus, which may also be relevant to @tfarrell's issue.

FWIW: I've tested that the new patch still works with 4.4.1, so no harm at all applying it. I haven't tried without the patch though, so it may still be broken, or it may have been a WP bug all along.

FYI: Even if it is fixed in WP, probably best to leave it in, as it's obviously more robust than it used to be.