Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

Sub-menu indicator not working correctly in menus

Old Dec 14, 2015, 11:09 AM
cefiar

24 posts · Jun 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Getting a weird issue with menus not working correctly.

Site has a defined menu in Wordpress (WP4.4). Two top level options first up that have no sub-menus, then 3 options that do have sub-menus. Atahualpa is configured to use the menu as the first option.

Issue seems to be that the `rMenu-expand` class gets added to the first menu entry that doesn't contain a sub-item which appears before the menu entry that contains a sub-item (instead of the entry with sub-items). In the case of my site this is the first menu entry "Home".

Site: http://www.hackmelbourne.org (Connected Community Hackerspace in Melbourne, Australia)

Works fine with the twentyfifteen theme, but it doesn't really add a class like this (just sub-items). Have tried with no plugins. Also tried without & in the menu entry title. Also tried recreating the menu entry from scratch. Tried with and without my child theme.

Config attached, but pretty sure this is a code bug. Also attached is a pic of the menu as currently configured in WP. Most items in the menu are Pages, so should be easily reproduced.

FYI: Moving "Blog" after "About CCHS" (and it's sub-items) ends up with a sub-item marker attached to "Blog" as well (the one from "About Rules & Policies" disappears).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cchsmenu1.jpg
Views:	1463
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	2727  
Attached Files
File Type: txt ata-wwwhackmelbourneorg-20151214.txt (17.5 KB, 1317 views)
Old Dec 14, 2015, 11:27 AM
dabeed

30 posts · Nov 2012
I'm getting the same thing. I'm also on WP 4.4, and Ata is up to date. I believe it happened for me right after the 4.4 update.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 02:03 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
@cefiar - I can't reproduce it with your export. Mind sending me a PM with an admin id/pw so I can poke about?

EDIT: NEVER MIND - I HAVE REPRODUCED IT. Now let me see hat is happening...

Last edited by juggledad; Dec 14, 2015 at 02:05 PM.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 04:27 PM
cefiar

24 posts · Jun 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Great to see you've reproduced it.

As @dabeed said, it only seemed to appear once updated to 4.4.

I upgraded my test site first and didn't notice it before I upgraded the live site. I only noticed as I had another tab open from before the upgrade (live site) that I hadn't refreshed.

@juggledad - Many thanks for your time on this. As always, it's appreciated.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 04:18 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
The problem is caused by wordpress changing the string the custom menus returned. The good news is (after banging my head on this for a loooooong time) it is a simple fix, so please try this.

edit bfa_new_wp3_menus.php and change line 43 from
HTML Code:
	$newmenu = preg_replace("/<li (.*?)class=\"(.*?)\">(.*?)\n(.*?)<ul class=\"/i","<li \\1 class=\"rMenu-expand \\2\">\\3\n\\4<ul class=\"rMenu-ver ",$newmenu);
to
HTML Code:
	$newmenu = preg_replace("~menu-item-has-children~","rMenu-expand menu-item-has-children",$newmenu);
and let me know if you have any issues
Old Dec 15, 2015, 11:26 AM
dabeed

30 posts · Nov 2012
It works (for me)! Thank you so much, Juggledad! You = Da man. : )

One issue:

I have this CSS, for making the menu slightly transparent:
Code:
ul.rMenu-ver {
opacity: .95;
}
But now that code has no effect, and I tried adding !important.

Last edited by dabeed; Dec 15, 2015 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Adding issue.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 12:12 PM
dabeed

30 posts · Nov 2012
Ok one fix for the issue above is to change the CSS to:
Code:
ul.sub-menu {
opacity: .95;
}
Thanks again, Juggledad!
Old Dec 15, 2015, 03:26 PM
cefiar

24 posts · Jun 2014
Melbourne, Australia
I agree, you're definitely "Da man" @Juggledad!

Fix is now in and working perfectly!

@dabeed - I might just steal that menu opacity CSS idea.