Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages » Excerpts, Read more, Pagination »

Special Characters for French are not displayed

Old Jul 22, 2010, 04:41 PM
shirley1

65 posts · Jun 2010
Hi

I have two blogs with wordpress 3. One with the wordpress theme by default (Blog1) and the other other with atahualpa 3.5.1 theme (blog2).

With the blog2 , i can not see the special french characters in my homepage.However in the blog1 I can see these french characteres.

My wordpress and atahualpa is in english . I've put the french po,mo in wordpress/content folder. I don't use the atahualpa french files .

Thanks

Last edited by shirley1; Jan 26, 2011 at 07:48 AM.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 07:38 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Does this problem only occur when viewing excerpts?
Old Jul 23, 2010, 06:23 AM
shirley1

65 posts · Jun 2010
Yes, only with the excerpts.
I've tested with « read more» and it works well.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 06:48 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
What's happening is you have some non-printing characters that are causing problems. WordPress by default strips html tags from from excerpts. Atahualpa has a setting in ATO>Configure EXCERPTS to only show excerpts or full posts on various pages. You can set this to show full posts and the issue goes away. I have no way to experiment but perhaps there is something you can add to Don's strip these tags? to fix it as well.

If you PM me a login and password I could take a look.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 08:23 AM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
I have a similar problem, and I'm sure it's Wordpress, not the theme. I want to use the word puree with the acute accent in the body of a post and in the headline. It works fine in the body but not in the headline. Obviously, Wordpress is stripping out the diacritical marks in the headline.

I'll research it at wordpress.org, but if anybody has a quick fix, I'm all ears.

UPDATE:

OK, I found the solution to my problem. While you can use the Omega icon to bring up special characters in Tiny MCE Advanced and then paste them within a post in Visual mode, to add one to the headline, you must switch to HTML mode. You paste in the special character, and when you publish, you'll see the special character. Voila! http://www.larchmontgazette.com/dine...sparagus-soup/

Last edited by paulae; Jul 23, 2010 at 08:41 AM. Reason: found solution
Old Jul 23, 2010, 08:38 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
And I have tried those same characters in both the body and the title and they show just fine in both excerpts and full text. I am using the ascii code to insert them. Is that how you are as well Paula? How about you Shirley?
Old Jul 23, 2010, 08:44 AM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
I'm using the HTML code, as in
Code:
é
Old Jul 23, 2010, 08:57 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
If I use the html code I get the same results as you Paula. If I use for example alt+130 to use the ascii code for the eacute; it works fine.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 08:59 AM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Good to know, Larry. But my way, I don't have to keep a cheat-sheet handy.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 09:48 AM
shirley1

65 posts · Jun 2010
The problem is only with the character « à ». the ascci code is ALT+133. I've used the omega icon to insert it and it does not work neither with the ascci code.

Also I have a french keyboard.

It is only with the excerpts. It is an intranet i can not sent you the link. My client wants the excerpts in the home page .

Update : The problem is only with the excerpts, title, full post is ok. I've used the fonction «Dont strip» <p><a><span><em> but i have the same results.

Last edited by shirley1; Jul 23, 2010 at 10:07 AM.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 10:01 AM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Shirley, I am using WP 3.0 and Atahualpa 3.5.3. Look at the first excerpt at http://www.larchmontgazette.com/. I was able to use the e-acute code when I created the post, but I was in HTML view at the time.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 11:04 AM
shirley1

65 posts · Jun 2010
The problem is with the character « à ».
Old Jul 23, 2010, 11:12 AM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
I just tested that character in the same excerpt, and it worked fine. I can't leave it there because it's a live site, and the post's author would be upset to find this random character there!

Are you sure you're using HTML mode when creating the post? Be sure to publish from that mode, don't switch back to the visual editor first.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 01:33 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
I have to work at it to get the html characters to show and then when I refresh all is good. I have no clue unless it is on the server. Could the php version have anything to do with it? How about the host? I would need to test on a site where the problems are occurring.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 01:42 PM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Larry, would WP 3.0 even run without PHP 5?
Old Jul 23, 2010, 02:05 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
I think so but with "issues". I recently replaced an old Joomla site with a WordPress site and the site wasn't quite "right" I checked the php version and it was set to 4. I am not sure though whether I had WP 2.9.2 or 3 installed at the time. This was really just a shot in the dark and something easy to check. I'm scratching my head on this one.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 06:37 PM
shirley1

65 posts · Jun 2010
I have php 5 and mysql 5.

What is the function that works with the excerpts in the home page? Maybe I need to modify something there.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 08:29 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
There is a section in the ATO for excerpts
Old Jul 24, 2010, 07:55 AM
shirley1

65 posts · Jun 2010
I mean in the code. Maybe I have to modify the php code . I want to add that I have a windows server and i've tried at home (windows xp) I got the same result.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 07:59 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
I have no idea how a Windows server might affect WordPress and I pretty much stay out of the code as than makes upgrading the Theme more cumbersome as you have to remember all the changes. That is to say nothing about finding the code in the first place.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 07:59 AM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
If it works for me on a live site, it should work for you. I can't see any PHP reason for just that one character not working. You've tried other special characters using the method I outlined above?
Old Jul 24, 2010, 08:29 AM
shirley1

65 posts · Jun 2010
Have you both tried with the character « à » in the excerpt in the visual editor without using the html code ? Maybe it is dificult since you don't have a french keyboard.

Well, I've tried the html editor and in the excerpts I've put &agrave;. and voila! it works.

However my client is not a technical person for that reason I wanted that he uses the visual editor.

I've just bought a shared linux hosting plan and i will see how it works.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 08:34 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Well it seems likely that it is just how the keyboard "codes" the « à » but at least you have a work around albeit not the simplest way.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 09:06 AM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
I'll bet the French keyboard produces the ascii code, not HTML, so it wasn't getting interpreted properly by Wordpress. This is an inherent problem for a client like yours, I guess. Have you looked in the wordpress.org forums for ideas? This can't be the first time this problem has appeared in the WP community.

To help your client, you could write out a step-by-step process for inserting the proper HTML code. Or this could be an opportunity for you to have a maintenance contract, where you'll have to come in and fix his grave accents when he needs one!
Old Jul 24, 2010, 06:31 PM
shirley1

65 posts · Jun 2010
I've been doing my test using Atahualpa 3.4.9 before someone told me to use the new version 3.5.3.

I've just changed the theme of my blog and with atahualpa 3.4.9 it works!!!. The excerpts works.

So it means there is something rare in Atahualpa 3.5.3. Maybe the excerpts functions are not the same ?

Any clue ? I would love to use the latest version of Atahualpa.