Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Montezuma Theme »

[SOLVED] Display full post instead of excerpt -need a little more help

Old Jan 2, 2013, 01:21 PM
RobinDenning

12 posts · Dec 2012
[SOLVED] Display full post instead of excerpt -need a little more help

As was discussed in a few previous threads, the post excerpt is controlled by
<?php bfa_excerpt(); ?>
[Default. Same as <?php bfa_excerpt( 55, ' ...' ); ?>]

and I changed that in my postformat.php Sub Template to:
<?php get_content(); ?>

Unfortunately, it does not completely solve the problem. I am working on a localhost before introducing changes to my my live site at http://alittlesewing.com.

edited to add: it looks like there is a limit to how many images I can upload.
The next step I took was to remove this line from postformat.php:
<?php bfa_thumb( 620, 180, true, '<div class="thumb-shadow"><div class="post-thumb">', '</div></div>' ); ?>

and that removed the thumbnail from displaying.
At that point the blog is displaying the correct date with the title of the post, but no content is shown.

I have looked all through the information in the Montezuma Options, including the Limited PHP code.
Unless you have a specific recommendation, it seems my next step is to learn how to create a child page? What am I missing.
Thanks so much for guidance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	1356
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	2164  Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	1317
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	2165  

Last edited by RobinDenning; Jan 5, 2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 03:12 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
for the moment use
HTML Code:
<?php bfa_excerpt( 99999, '' ); ?>
I'm looking into the issue with the_content()
Old Jan 2, 2013, 03:46 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
never mind, that will strip all html from the posts...
Old Jan 4, 2013, 07:07 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
I have a possible fix. I haven't tested it in all conditions but if you would like to try it
edit 'montezuma/includes/parse_php.php' and change line 35 from
HTML Code:
		if (have_posts()) 
to
HTML Code:
		if (is_single() AND have_posts()) 
and give it a shot. - let me know if you find any issues.

Last edited by juggledad; Mar 4, 2013 at 07:42 PM.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:35 AM
RobinDenning

12 posts · Dec 2012
Juggledad, I changed the HTML on line 35 of the parse_php.php file.

But now I have a different problem - when I use Text Wrangler to save it, it saves as a text file, not a PHP file. I am new to Text Wrangler, but can't find option to allow me to save as a PHP file.

At this point, it has crashed the site. I guess I need a different editing program so I can save a PHP file.
I'll let you know what happens when I get that part straightened out.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 11:40 AM
jerryc

367 posts · Oct 2012
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDenning
Juggledad, I changed the HTML on line 35 of the parse_php.php file.

But now I have a different problem - when I use Text Wrangler to save it, it saves as a text file, not a PHP file. I am new to Text Wrangler, but can't find option to allow me to save as a PHP file.

At this point, it has crashed the site. I guess I need a different editing program so I can save a PHP file.
I'll let you know what happens when I get that part straightened out.
I've run into this with other programs. Even the attachments on this blog won't let you upload a php file. Just save it as a .txt, then find a way to rename it, like through file manager or something. I use the WP-Filemanager plugin, which works from the dashboard. I hope this helps.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:43 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
you can ues the dashboard->apearances->editor to edit the file on the server.

textwrangler saves php files as test, it just gives them the extension of .php
On the MAC I juse 'FETCH as my FTP program and edit the file that way with no problem. It could have something to do with your server...

can you get into the back end?
Old Jan 4, 2013, 07:35 PM
RobinDenning

12 posts · Dec 2012
I got my localhost sorted out and got my site back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggledad
you can ues the dashboard->apearances->editor to edit the file on the server.
Ah, well that was much easier! Once I had everything back in place, I edited the parse_php.php file, but the site looks the same - the posts are still excerpts.

thanks for the extra info, though, about text wrangler and fetch.

What do you think - can this be resolved or might it become a Request For Enhancement? I love the overall style of Montezuma. If I can't display complete posts, I need to provide better navigation for users at the bottom of the comment page. They don't like getting to the end of the comments and being "stranded" there with only the previous post or next post to click on. They want to click and return to the main page. What can I say, my readers don't like all the extra clicking!
Old Jan 4, 2013, 07:54 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Well did you go into postformat.php in the virtual templates and change the 'bfa_excerpt(..)' to 'the_content()'?