Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

Exclude category from Recent Posts in sidebar

Old Mar 19, 2009, 02:05 PM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
I do not want the latest obituary posts showing up in the Recent Posts sidebar widget on the left.
http://larchmontgazette.com/wp27/

I want to be able to exclude obituaries and maybe some other categories, in the future, from the sidebar widget. I tried the Advanced Category Excluder plugin, but it didn't do a thing for me. I don't see any other likely plugins when I search the Wordpress plugin directory.

Help!
Old Mar 20, 2009, 03:48 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Use one instance of the PHP code widget http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/php-code-widget/ and inside the widget put:
PHP Code:
<ul>
<?php
    $recentPosts 
= new WP_Query();

$recentPosts->query('showposts=5&cat=-XX,-YY,-ZZ');
?>
<?php 
while ($recentPosts->have_posts()) : $recentPosts->the_post(); ?>
    <li><a href="<?php the_permalink() ?>" rel="bookmark"><?php the_title(); ?></a></li>
<?php endwhile; ?>
</ul>
In showposts=5&cat=-XX,-YY,-ZZ replace 5 with amount of posts and XX, YY and ZZ with the ID's of the categories that should be excluded
Old Mar 20, 2009, 04:24 PM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
I got it working, thanks!

Very nice.

You're the best!

Last edited by paulae; Mar 20, 2009 at 04:54 PM.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 06:18 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
That's kinda funny, I just googled for this and found my own post
Old Apr 21, 2009, 07:23 PM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Mirrors within mirrors.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 02:29 AM
anou

1 posts · Jan 2011
Lyon
Just what i was searching for.
Thank you
Old Mar 18, 2011, 05:04 AM
Helleshoj

1 posts · Mar 2011
Randers, Denmark
Interesting, but for one or another reason in my site it still shows all the categories. Wordpress 3.1, PHP 5.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 05:13 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
What version of Atahualpa?
What is the URL?
Old Apr 13, 2011, 10:33 AM
dkat1043

3 posts · Apr 2011
Sorry to jump in, but I have a similar problem. I want to exclude a category from the next/previous listing on the single-post page. I've used a plug-in to disable the category from appearing on the home page, but it shows up in the sidebar listing of categories on the single-post page, and in the next/previous header. I'm not sure where in Atahualpa to look to edit this page template, or whether there's an easy way to keep the category out of these listings. Using theme v. 3.2, Wp v 3.1.1. Thanks.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 11:14 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Version 3.2?? Wow are you using an old version of Atahualpa.

The things in the sidebar are widgets. Without the site URL or knowing what widget you are using I can't tell you if it is an Atahualpa widget or from someone else. If it is from someone else then you have to look at the plugin code and/or contact the plug-in's author about this.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 11:28 AM
dkat1043

3 posts · Apr 2011
Yes, it is an older version. It took a while to get the site set up and customized, and I've been concerned that upgrading might break something, but I guess I have to take the plunge at some point.

An example of the single post page is here: http://tiffanyannlewis.com/blog2/?p=4678 You can see that the next post in the header is a date, which is the title of a post in the category called Itinerary. Itinerary shows up in the category list on the right, but if you go to the home blog page, it does not, as I intended it. I'm using a plugin called Category Exclusion.

So I'm wondering where in the code I can go to get Itinerary Category to not show up in the category list on the single post page, and not appear in the Next Post listing as well. I'm using the theme's default Category widget, modified by a plugin called Category Order.

Thanks for your help, and please let me know if you need more info.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 02:25 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
So you are using the 'Categories' widget in the right sidebar...correct?

This widget is part of WordPress and not Atahualpa. What you should do is a google search on 'wordpress category plugin' and see if there is one that will let you exclude a category.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 02:34 PM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
I use a combination of Enhanced Recent Posts and Widget Logic plugins to control placement of categories.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 07:21 PM
dkat1043

3 posts · Apr 2011
Thanks to both of you for your help. I'll check the code and the plugins.

Dan
Old Mar 22, 2013, 04:55 AM
shawx

1 posts · Mar 2013
Hello all

I want to customize my wordpress widget by excluding first 3 posts from recent posts. I do not want to show them. I've set recent posts to show to 10 currently.

Please help. thanks
Old Mar 22, 2013, 05:40 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
what version of Atahualpa and Wordpress are you on?
What widget are you talking about?
Old Apr 9, 2013, 02:45 AM
belantos

73 posts · Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynn
That's kinda funny, I just googled for this and found my own post
LOL. Google replaces our memory
Old Apr 9, 2013, 08:34 AM
canhtt

2 posts · Apr 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynn
Use one instance of the PHP code widget http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/php-code-widget/ and inside the widget put:
PHP Code:
<ul>
<?php
    $recentPosts 
= new WP_Query();

$recentPosts->query('showposts=5&cat=-XX,-YY,-ZZ');
?>
<?php 
while ($recentPosts->have_posts()) : $recentPosts->the_post(); ?>
    <li><a href="<?php the_permalink() ?>" rel="bookmark"><?php the_title(); ?></a></li>
<?php endwhile; ?>
</ul>
In showposts=5&cat=-XX,-YY,-ZZ replace 5 with amount of posts and XX, YY and ZZ with the ID's of the categories that should be excluded
oh, so good, tks verry much