Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages » Comments, trackbacks & pings »

Changing text from 'Leave a Reply' to something custom

Old Jul 22, 2010, 10:53 AM
Aineoin

13 posts · Jan 2010
I'm working on www.brian-mcdonald.info. It's a memorial site for my father-in-law. The Memorial page invites folks who knew him to tell a story about how Brian touched their lives. I'd like to change the very generic, un-friendly 'Leave a Reply' in the comment box to something friendlier, like 'Tell us your story.' I'd also like to change the text on the submit button to 'Share!' or something like that. I've been hunting through the options and don't see a place to make these changes. Help?

Thanks!

Nonie
Old Jul 22, 2010, 10:58 AM
Aineoin

13 posts · Jan 2010
Also, after making a test comment there, I see the '1 comment to In Memoriam' text. It's a bit too big. Can you also point me to where/how to make that smaller and less bold? I'm digging around and not finding it.

Thanks!

Nonie
Old Jul 22, 2010, 11:15 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Those are in comments.php and comments-paged.php. In comments.php Just change the instances of 'Leave a Reply', as shown in red to what you want. Below that is the line for the submit button where you would change 'Submit Comment' to what you want.

The comments-paged.php file has similar entries but I am not entirely certain where they would show.

<h3 class="reply"><?php comment_form_title($noreplytext = __('Leave a Reply','atahualpa'),
$replytext = __('Leave a Reply to %s','atahualpa'), $linktoparent = TRUE); ?></h3>

<p><input name="submit" type="submit" class="button" id="submit"
tabindex="5" value="<?php _e('Submit Comment','atahualpa'); ?>" />

I would also download a copy of any files you change so that if you goof in editing you can always just upload the copy and overwrite the offending file.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 11:20 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aineoin
Also, after making a test comment there, I see the '1 comment to In Memoriam' text. It's a bit too big. Can you also point me to where/how to make that smaller and less bold? I'm digging around and not finding it.
You could add the following to CSS Inserts changing the font size to what you want.
HTML Code:
h3#comments {
font-size: 14px;
}
Old Jul 22, 2010, 11:38 AM
Aineoin

13 posts · Jan 2010
Thanks - the changes to the custom text seems to have worked Still monkeying around with trying to find the CSS inserts to change the font size of the '1 comment to post' line.

I'm noticing that on the 'Memories' page, which is just a page and not where the blog posts go, now that I've left a comment, the 'leave a comment' link is gone. As we're hoping to have lots of folks leave lots of comments, this is a bit of a problem Any ideas as to why it's gone, or how to put it back?
Old Jul 22, 2010, 11:47 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
It's in ATO>Add HTML/CSS Inserts>CSS Inserts
Old Jul 22, 2010, 12:03 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aineoin
I'm noticing that on the 'Memories' page, which is just a page and not where the blog posts go, now that I've left a comment, the 'leave a comment' link is gone. As we're hoping to have lots of folks leave lots of comments, this is a bit of a problem Any ideas as to why it's gone, or how to put it back?
How are you generating the memories page?
Old Jul 22, 2010, 12:10 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Also in ATO>Style & Configure COMMENTS you have "Allow comments on "Page" pages, too?" set to yes.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 12:58 PM
Aineoin

13 posts · Jan 2010
Got the text size fixed with the pointer to the CSS Inserts - thank you

I'm generating the Memories page both by trying directly for it's url (http://brian-mcdonald.info/?page_id=2) and by clicking on the Memories tab at the top of the Home page. At the bottom of the blurb on the page is the date of the post, then 'One comment' (which I'd also like to change to 'one story shared if you can point me to the right bit of code for that), with no other 'leave a comment' sorts of options.

Yes, the leave comments to 'page' pages is set to yes in ATO. It let me leave the test comment, but now doesn't appear to let anyone else comment.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 07:55 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
I'm drawing at straws now but do you have the "Allow Comment" box checked on the Memories page?