Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

Background image in left sidebar

Old Jun 11, 2010, 10:57 AM
camiana

15 posts · Jun 2010
Hi everyone

I'm trying to put a background image in the left sidebar, but the image doesn't show up. See www.ikff.no.

I'm using the following code in ATO - Sidebars and widgets - Style and configure sidebars - LEFT sidebar style:
padding: 0px 0px 0px 10px;
background: url(/wp-content/themes/atahualpa.3.4.6/atahualpa/images/menybar2.PNG);

Could you please tell me what I'm doing wrong? What's the right code?

Thanks!
Old Jun 11, 2010, 11:26 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
you have a mix up between your upper and lower case for the filename. They must match exactly
Old Jun 11, 2010, 11:32 AM
camiana

15 posts · Jun 2010
I fixed that, but the background image still doesn't show up. There's only a white space - www.ikff.no.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 12:01 PM
camiana

15 posts · Jun 2010
I also tried to convert the image to jpg, but it still doesn't show in the sidebar. What am I doing wrong? What's wrong in this code:

padding: 0px 0px 0px 10px;
background: url(/wp-content/themes/atahualpa.3.4.6/atahualpa/images/menybar2.jpg);
Old Jun 11, 2010, 01:33 PM
camiana

15 posts · Jun 2010
Please help me

I'd like to have a background image in the left sidebar on www.ikff.no, behind the links list. How do I do it?

I've tried to put the following code:
background: url (/wp-content/themes/atahualpa.3.4.6/atahualpa/images/menybar2.jpg);

in:
- ATO - Sidebars and widgets - Style and configure sidebars - LEFT sidebar styling
- ATO - Sidebars and widgets - Style widgets - Widget content
- ATO - Various content items - Add HTML/CSS inserts - CSS inserts
- Editor - css.php - "LISTS INSIDE OF WIDGETS"

But nothing of this worked. Either nothing happened or only a white space appeared where the image should have been.

What am I doing wrong? Is the code wrong? Or should I insert the code somewhere else? What exactly should I do to get a background image in the left sidebar, behind the links list?

Please help me!
Old Jun 12, 2010, 05:15 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
there must be a problem with eithor (1) the name of the image - it must be exact, no spaces, case is important, or (2) the permission of the file. You should be able to type the full quallified address of the image into a browser adnn see it. For example if you use
HTML Code:
http://www.ikff.no/wp-content/themes/atahualpa.3.4.6/atahualpa/images/header/header1.PNG
your header image shows up, but when you use
HTML Code:
http://www.ikff.no/wp-content/themes/atahualpa.3.4.6/atahualpa/images/images/menybar2.jpg
you get a not found which means the name or permission is wrong.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 05:58 AM
camiana

15 posts · Jun 2010
The image appeared now when I changed the case of the filename to .PNG
However, the image comes up in BOTH the right and the left sidebars. I just want it in the left sidebar. How do I make it appear in only the left one?
And how do I move the links in the widget go further down? I want them to fit into the image which resembles a menubar.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 06:11 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Because you added the background image to teh WIDGET sytle, it will show for every widget. If you only want in the left sidebar, you will have to move teh styling to the LEFT SIDEBAR styling. This will cause it to show up behind every widget in the left sidebar. If you only want it to show up behind one widget in the left sidebar, you will have to code a CSS Selector and rule to apply it to the single widget.

In order to play with the spacing of the links, you will have to play with top and bottom padding. A great reference for CSS is http://www.w3schools.com/css
Old Jun 12, 2010, 06:36 AM
camiana

15 posts · Jun 2010
Thank you. Is the css.php-file the right place to change the code for top and right padding?
Old Jun 12, 2010, 06:42 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
well you CAN change it there, but you will have to remember each time there is an upgrade, or you could put it at ATO->HTML/CSS Inserts->CSS Inserts and then it will be a theme option that gets carried over any theme upgrade.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 07:12 AM
camiana

15 posts · Jun 2010
Another problem turned up now - I can't move the image in the sidebar right. When I put a 20px padding in left sidebar styling, it's only the widget with the links that moves, not the image. Why?