Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

Using tables

Old Dec 21, 2008, 12:13 PM
Ron

5 posts · Dec 2008
Hi Flynn

thanks for creating this super theme, I have a question about tables.
I noticed there is customisation for tables, but how do I create a table in a post/page.
Is it just a case of pasting a table in (which usually causes formatting problems) or is there a better way to do it.
Sorry if this sounds silly.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 01:27 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Because of the formatting issues it would be better to create the table inside the Wordpress editor in HTML mode, i.e.

HTML Code:
<table>
<tbody>
   <tr>
      <th>Name</th>
      <th>Cups</th>
      <th>Type of Coffee</th>
      <th>Sugar?</th>
   </tr>
   <tr>
      <td>T. Sexton</td>
      <td>10</td>
      <td>Espresso</td>
      <td>No</td>
   </tr>
   <tr>
      <td>J. Dinnen</td>
      <td>5</td>
      <td>Decaf</td>
      <td>Yes</td>
   </tr>
</tbody>
</table>
Or try inserting an existing table and clean up the code afterwards in HTML mode
Old Dec 21, 2008, 02:00 PM
Ron

5 posts · Dec 2008
Flynn, I am not quite sure how I would do that from an Excel sheet.
So what does the theme customise refer to - the zebra stripes etc , table body cells etc ?
Old Dec 21, 2008, 06:28 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Those theme options are visual styles for the tables, they don't do anything with the table content

If you cannot create a HTMl table as described above, maybe this plugin can assist you in importing an excel table into wordpress. Looks like you'd have to save your excel table as .csv first

http://alexrabe.boelinger.com/wordpr...gins/wp-table/

Or read this on how to import an excel table without plugins http://wordpress.org/support/topic/162704
Old Jan 28, 2009, 08:02 AM
mactony

67 posts · Jan 2009
Is there a way to remove the default white background from the table cells? I have tried background-color: none and transparent, but they always come up white. I have used the table section of the editor but I cannot change the table cells. Apologies on what must be a very simple setting I am over looking here...
Old Jan 28, 2009, 08:36 AM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Have you tried Atahualpa Theme Options -> Tables -> Table Body Cells?

The default settings are:

HTML Code:
padding: 4px 8px;
background-color: #ffffff;
border-bottom: 1px solid #dddddd;
text-align: left;
Change the background-color line, i.e.

HTML Code:
background-color: transparent;
To apply the same color to the whole table background choose "No" at "Zebra stripe all tables?"

Or, edit "Zebra row TD style"
Old Jan 28, 2009, 09:27 AM
mactony

67 posts · Jan 2009
I tried those options and they didn't work, and combed through the stylesheets to see if I was missing something. I truly didn't want to post to the forum for something I felt was so easy! But I am at a loss. Any advice would be appreciated!
Old Jan 28, 2009, 10:05 AM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
The forums are for posting so don't worry. CSS can be very, very hard.

Please post or PM me the URL with the table in question.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 11:31 AM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Sorry, my fault - it could not work because there's still "white" set as background for the table as such, and I've not included that in the theme options.

Please find in style.css.php (should be line 1183-1187):

HTML Code:
.post table {
    border-collapse: collapse;
    background-color: #ffffff;
    margin: 10px 0;
    }
and delete the line with "background-color"

I am also removing that from style.css for the next theme version
Old Jan 28, 2009, 11:43 AM
mactony

67 posts · Jan 2009
Uh oh. Believe it or not, I tried that before I posted to the thread, and it still comes up as white. I removed the background-color, and then tried reinserting it and setting it to transparent. No change on either. I tried it after this latest post, again, thinking maybe I had missed it or found something similar, but still no change. I think the white is here to stay!
Old Jan 28, 2009, 11:45 AM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
O.k. can you try this

HTML Code:
 .post table {
    border-collapse: collapse;
    background-color: transparent !important;
    margin: 10px 0;
    }
Old Jan 28, 2009, 11:49 AM
mactony

67 posts · Jan 2009
Actually I think what happened was that my dashboard was updating the wrong style sheet!

I have two versions of Atahualpa on my server, and it looks like the wrong one is getting updated. I have to investigate further but I think that is what happened. I will report back!

Old Jan 28, 2009, 11:53 AM
mactony

67 posts · Jan 2009
That was it. I uploaded the latest version, but for some reason when I updated the css on the previous version. Sheesh. I don't understand why it happened, but everything is making a little bit more sense now! thanks for all your patience and support.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 12:13 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Good to hear. So we both had our share of CSS trouble for today.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 12:56 PM
Tigger

35 posts · Feb 2009
Hi Flynn,

I am using Tiny Editor Advanced Plugin.

I added a one row / one cell table into the text area on a page. The cell I defined as 1200px wide and 40px high. The background is a picture (a long line, which is used as a text interruption)

When I now look into the browser with IE, everything is fine. The right sidebar is overlaying the tale, which is of course too wide to display. When I resize the browser and make it samller, the right sidebar is cutting more and more from the table ... like I want. It is only displayed in the center page area where I add text.

When I now look on the same page with Firefox ... ups ... the table is overlaying the right sidebar. Even when I write everywhere "border-collapse: collaps" the table is still overlaying the right sidebar.

Any idea ?

Last edited by Tigger; Mar 3, 2009 at 01:13 PM.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 12:58 PM
Tigger

35 posts · Feb 2009
By the way ... when I add the line as a picture, it works on both browsers. The right sidebar is overlaying it, when resizing the browser. But I need to work with tables ... and there it does not work.

Last edited by Tigger; Mar 3, 2009 at 01:12 PM.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 04:02 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
PM or post a URL, I didn't see this on your site. And if the table has only one cell, a DIV container might be better.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 11:14 AM
Tigger

35 posts · Feb 2009
Dear Flynn,
please look into the section "Downloads".

Thank you !
Old Mar 4, 2009, 11:49 AM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
You can make it hide with

HTML Code:
td#middle {
overflow: hidden;
}
This might create issues somewhere else though, I cannot predict this
Old Mar 4, 2009, 03:01 PM
Tigger

35 posts · Feb 2009
Thank you for quick reply ! I will test it.
Old Mar 29, 2009, 03:11 PM
JenniC

1 posts · Mar 2009
If you are asking 'how to automatically create html tables from Excel files, there are several articles posted about how to do that with biterscripting. A simple script is posted at http://forums.htmlhelp.com/index.php...8387&pid=35390 . Perhaps, you can try it.

You will need to save the excel spreadsheet in .csv format. In general, biterscripting is good for manipulating csv (comma-separated-values) or spreadsheet files - and it is free.

Jenni