Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » Forum Usage » Forum How-To »

Please help. How to create a double navigation bar?

Old Apr 15, 2010, 04:52 AM
hankypanky

2 posts · Apr 2010
Hello! I've been having a bit of trouble trying to create a double navigation bar for my homepage. I'm still working on the wordpress blog, so unfortunately don't have any link to provide as it's under construction and password protected by CSS jockey Plugin. And to make things worse, I'm a newbie and a "terrible" creator of codes. I can manipulate with them, but I can't really create anything new. I have a 8 categories excluding the home tab, and each of those categories have around 5 sub-categories under them.

I wanted to create a navigation tab just like the one in www.gq-magazine.co.uk . In my blog home page, the categories show up on a horizontal navigation bar right now. I've looked all over the web for a code similar to GQ's, but the best I could come up with is a navigation bar where the categories are present, and when I hover the mouse pointer over them, the subcategories show up in the space below the horizontal navigational bar. But when I move the pointer away, the subcategories don't show up. I checked everywhere and couldn't find a clue.

The code that I'm using right now in my header.php file (creates a horizontal menu, and shows the subcategories only when I hover on the Categories tab) is the one I've pasted below.

</div><!-- #header -->

<div id="menu">
<div class="pads">

<ul id="topnav">
<li class="<?php if (((is_home()) && !(is_paged())) or (is_archive() && !(is_category())) or (is_single()) or (is_paged()) or (is_search())) { ?>current-cat<?php } else { ?>cat-item<?php } ?>"><a href="<?php echo get_settings('home'); ?>"><?php _e( 'Home', 'wpbx' ) ?></a></li>

<!-- change "depth=3" to suit your menu depth level, and change "exclude=x" with the category ID that you want exclude from the menu (multiple categories separated by , (comma) -->
<span><?php wp_list_categories('orderby=ID&order=ASC&depth=3&t itle_li=&exclude='); ?></span>

</ul>

</div>
</div>

<div id="container">
<div class="pads clearfix">

Can anyone tell me what I can do to create a horizontal navigation (categories) tab that would show subcategories under them only when I click a particular category, and not just a hover effect? I've racked my weak coded brain for quite a few days, and I'm so frustrated! And I'm stuck with no options. Please, if anyone can help me, I'd be much obliged. Thank you very much in advance.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 01:27 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
All Web Menus will do what you want and has a WordPress plugin available but if you want the menu to mirror your site automatically it costs extra. The menu program sells for about $60 and the extra if you want the dynamic WordPress menu is about $50 for one domain or you can buy a 5 pack for more savings.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 01:33 AM
hankypanky

2 posts · Apr 2010
Thanks a ton, lmilesw. I'll take a look at those options right away!