Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » Forum Usage » Forum How-To »

Easier to change to new theme?

Old Apr 16, 2010, 01:53 PM
Meg

12 posts · Apr 2010
I've worked with FrontPage 2003 for years to put up basic sites, but am now working with WordPress for a CMS site with a blog. Yikes. I downloaded the bytesforall theme and have been struggling with it for days -- can't even get the text wrap around images right yet.

Looking through info more closely, it looks as though it's a fairly old theme. But if I upgrade to Atahualpa or Montezuma, which seem to have more customizeable features, will I lose the days of work I've done with images and graphics on my bytesforall pages?

Thanks!

Meg
Old Apr 16, 2010, 03:30 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Most themes store there options in teh database, but one theme will not use the options set for another theme. So If you are using Atahualpa and upgrade to the latest version (3.4.6) you will not loose your settings, but if you swap to another theme, even another bytes for all theme, the options will not apply - they won't be gone from teh database, they just won't be meaningful for teh new theme.

Themes store their options in the database with a unique prefix's and that is how they are read, so theme 'A' might store an option called 'a-top-color' with a value of 'red', but you decide to install theme 'B'. It might look for an option called 'b-header-color' to set it's color, so you see the option you set for theme 'A' will have no effect.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 03:46 PM
Meg

12 posts · Apr 2010
Bummer. Then is it possible to change the header image and/or background colors for each page? I can't figure out how to do that from the dashboard / theme / bytesforall options.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 03:49 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Yes, but you will need to do it with CSS Inserts. Check oout this post for the method
Old Apr 16, 2010, 04:00 PM
Meg

12 posts · Apr 2010
Oops, don't see the post posted.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 04:58 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Sorry, here http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=6681