Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages » Excerpts, Read more, Pagination »

Next/Previous Single Post Navigation

Old Apr 1, 2010, 08:08 AM
samij0

18 posts · Nov 2009
Hi,

This seems like it should be an easy fix, but I haven't found the solution yet!

On single post pages, instead of the next/previous post navigation to say the title of the next/previous post, I'd like it to just say "Next Post" and "Previous Post". I tried putting "« Next Post" into the correct box on the Next/Previous Navigation page in Atahualpa, which puts the correct text there, but it doesn't actually link to the next post.

Thoughts?
Old Apr 1, 2010, 09:46 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Remember "Next Post" in WordPress means an older post so you would probably want to put "« Next Post" in to the "Older Post" link box and maybe switch it to "Next Post «"
Old Apr 2, 2010, 06:44 AM
samij0

18 posts · Nov 2009
Thanks, Larry. That makes sense. However, it still doesn't create links to the older/newer posts, just the text.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 07:34 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
I misunderstood what the problem was. Can you send a link to the site?
Old Apr 2, 2010, 07:55 AM
samij0

18 posts · Nov 2009
I can't because it's a website I'm developing for a client and it's in maintenance mode, but let me try to clarify. When you're looking at a single post, the default previous/next post navigation will show one post name before and one post name after the current post. I'd like it to just say "previous" and "next" or "older" and "newer." Is there a way to do this?
Old Apr 2, 2010, 09:16 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
It should be just as you did. Here is a screen shot to confirm.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:02 PM
darlene

6 posts · Oct 2012
I am having this same problem. On single posts I can only get the text newer and older. There are no links. I have a screen shot but I don't even know how to post it here. My site is darlenemichaud.com but I'm playing with it so you probably won't see what I mean. How to I put a screen shot here? When I try to attach all I get is this Click image for larger version

Name:	screen-shot.PNG
Views:	2672
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	2089
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:04 PM
darlene

6 posts · Oct 2012
Oh! I see the screen shot! Here is the code I'm using... Click image for larger version

Name:	screen-shot-2.PNG
Views:	2683
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	2090
Old Oct 31, 2012, 03:47 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
currently on a 'single post' page, the links in the navigation area are the titles of the next and previous posts. If you want to change this, you will have to edit the theme code and keep notes so you can redo it everytime the theme is upgraded.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 05:16 AM
darlene

6 posts · Oct 2012
Okay, that's fine. I would not mind the entire titles but is there a way to make the text small?
Old Oct 31, 2012, 05:55 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
you can style it with CSS

Last edited by juggledad; Oct 31, 2012 at 05:59 AM.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 06:07 AM
darlene

6 posts · Oct 2012
I'm clueless, but that's okay. I try to learn one new thing per day and css is not on the list yet. LOL
Old Jul 25, 2013, 04:05 PM
jrobie23

63 posts · Feb 2011
Boulder, CO
Hey Juggledad.. I see that this is a VERY old post, but I'm having the same issue. Is it still necessary to edit the theme code to get "next" and "previous" to be the LINKS at the top of the single-post pages?? I made the adjustments in the ATA next/previous section, but it does not seem to work. %link still works, but not just the text "next", etc...

thanks!

jr
Old Aug 1, 2013, 10:10 AM
jrobie23

63 posts · Feb 2011
Boulder, CO
I don't suppose you'd want to shed some light on what parts of the bfa_next_previous_links.php file one should/could manipulate to get those post title/links to be different??
Old Aug 1, 2013, 10:57 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
so do you want the words 'next' and 'previous' and have those words be the links to th posts?
Old Aug 1, 2013, 11:01 AM
jrobie23

63 posts · Feb 2011
Boulder, CO
absotively. posilutely. (yes.)
and if the client wants them changed, I'm guessing I'll be able to decipher what you've done to make adjustments.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 01:23 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
You will want to look at the code in bfa_next_previous_links.php to make the change you want. I toook a few minutes to see if I could give you an exact solution, but it is going to take some time to study the code and play and test it.

Let us know how you get it to work.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 02:31 PM
jrobie23

63 posts · Feb 2011
Boulder, CO
I certainly will!
Old Sep 15, 2013, 01:05 PM
davidsteinmusic

13 posts · Sep 2010
I am trying to do the same thing and so was able to style the links via css.

I'm using the '&laquo; %link' for "newer posts" and the '%link &raquo;' for "older posts" in ATO>Next/Previous Navigation (for single post pages) and these are the css selectors i used to target the links and the carrats or the << and >>

I make no claims it's proper css or anything but it's working for me.....

div.older, div.older a:link, div.newer, div.newer a:link {

font-size: 95%;
font-weight: normal;
text-transform: uppercase;

}

I really would prefer to simply have the text "newer posts" and "older posts" and have them link to the next and previous posts respectively but after looking at the php file JD mentioned, i recognize that's out of my league.

If any one does find out how to sub the actual text of the post to whatever the desired text is, I'd love to know.

thanks, david
Old Jul 30, 2015, 10:54 AM
rickpoet

80 posts · Jan 2010
Hi,

Wondering if this issue every got cleared up. I have a new site here http://www.haikuniverse.com/ which displays a single post on the home page - when you click Previous at the bottom (Technically this is a multi-post page even though I have it set to only display one post) it's a live link which takes you to the previous post, also technically a multi-post page, and the "Next" link works fine there.

HOWEVER, when I view the actual posts (click on post title) as single post pages, the "Next" and "Previous" words are there, but they are not linked. I don't want to use the post title, (though when I do use that the links work on single post pages.) Is there a way to get the words "previous" and "next" on single post pages to actually be links?

Thanks!

Rick
Old Jul 31, 2015, 10:03 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Do you have all %link in the appropriate fields. For single post pages Next or Previous is not an option.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 12:21 PM
rickpoet

80 posts · Jan 2010
Thanks...is there a workaround...I don't have %link in those fields but I don't want to use the post title...more of a styling issue as we're using a large font for everything and the titles are too long to make that work. Is it possible to have just "Next" and "Previous" linked on single post pages through any code or css tweak?

Thanks,

Rick

p.s. I guess it wasn't clear in the ATA options that you couldn't use Next or Previous in single post pages (or perhaps I'm just not a very good reader.) Intuitively I think if you can use text such as "next" and "previous" in the navigation fields in other items in that area of ATA options it would make sense that you could use them on single post pages too? (I live in a fantasy world where everything is ideal.)
Old Aug 1, 2015, 12:25 PM
rickpoet

80 posts · Jan 2010
Ooh for that matter, for this particular website instead of trying to make that work, is it possible to still use the %link item for single post navigation, BUT tell it somewhere in the code to alter the behavior of that command...ie instead of having %link put in the post title automatically, have it use words we choose?
Old Aug 1, 2015, 05:11 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
You can edit the code to do this. Edit bfa_next_previous_links.php and change line 96 from
HTML Code:
				next_post_link($bfa_ata['single_next_prev_newer'], '%title', TRUE);
to
HTML Code:
				next_post_link($bfa_ata['single_next_prev_newer'], 'next', TRUE);
and change line 121 from
HTML Code:
				previous_post_link($bfa_ata['single_next_prev_older'], '%title', TRUE);
to
HTML Code:
				previous_post_link($bfa_ata['single_next_prev_older'], 'previous', TRUE);
This will change teh %link to next/previous.

remember to keep notes for you will have to do this again if you update the theme in the future.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 06:05 PM
rickpoet

80 posts · Jan 2010
OK, that really feels like it should work...but for some reason it's not. I've got the 2 lines in bfa_next_previous_links.php edited. I put %link in place for the Newer / Older post on SINGLE Post pages in ATA options. And just to be sure I deleted all caches. but it's still showing the actual titles of the next and previous posts.

Is there another place that defines what %link is that might need to be adjusted too?

Thanks!