I have some performance problems with qTranslate and Atahualpa. I read one post (of which I can not find the link) that suggested the incompatibility between the two.
I also did some performance testing. I came to the same conclusion that qTranslate or Atahualpa by itself work OK but together it's a performance hog.
Here are the conclusions of the testing I did if it will be of any help.
On my girl's blog I found out that there are two weak points:
- loading posts (i didn't look further into this),
- loading category menus on the top of the page.
Pageload for Atahualpa + qTranslate = 2s
- of this categories = 0,5s
- posts (6 excerpts) = 0,5s
- qTranslate = 1,2s ; 9300 queries
Pageload for Atahualpa = 1s
- categories = 0,16s
- posts = 0,4s
Pageload for qTranslate = 1s;
- of this for qTranslate = 0,3s ; 3400 queries
To where I digged:
- atahualpa/index.html (post are in while loop, categories in "get_header" function);
- get_header opens atahualpa/header.php, in which the "bfa_header_config" causes most delays;
- bfa_header_config opens atahualpa/functions/bfa_header_config.php and calls "bfa_hor_cats";
- atahualpa/functions/bfa_hor_cats.php calls wp_list_categories.
If I comment this line, page loads significally faster.
I experimented in qtranslate_hooks.php with some success, but in the process the URLs in the categories got corrupted.