Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

So..you have a problem and need some help...

Old Apr 5, 2010, 05:47 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
As of today May 6th 2015 - this post is still valid

If you have a problem and need some help then you have to provide some basic information. Saying
Quote:
I'm really new and don't know what I'm doing so could you tell me how to change the background?'
or
'how do I put my own header image in?'
or
'something doesn't work, can you tell me how to fix it?'
isn't going to get a solution.

1 - Start at the basics - disable all the plugins, Swap to twenty-fourteen, remove any extra code you added and see if the issue is caused by something you added

2 - Make sure you have applied any the PATCH's that exist for your release
go to the 'New Versions & Updates' forum and look for the thread 'PATCH vvv-nn:..."
where vvv=the version number, nn=the sequential number of the fix - apply them ALL.

3 - LOOK THRU THE FORUMS! 80-90% of the questions anyone is going to ask have already been asked, and the answer is in the forums. So do your due dilligance and search and read the forums for the answer and to learn.

4 - LOOK THRU THE FAQs (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)

5 - LOOK THRU THE OPTIONS. There are lots of options so do some homework and read thru all the options so you will no what is available to you. There is nothing worst than someone who doesn't think they should look for an answer but wants one handed to them.

6 - Experiment a little. If you can't figure out how to do something, you will be surprised how easy it is to experiment.

7 - Deactivate all your plugins - since plug-ins are written by different people, using different coding standards, and there are thousands of plug-ins, inevitably there are going to be conflicts. Conflicts between plug-ins, conflicts between a plug-in and a theme, conflicts between plug-ins and WordPress (there are/were several plug-ins conflicts with WP 3.0 when it first came out. The plug-ins cause sites not to work at all). So deactivate your plug-ins and see it that resolves the issue.

8 - Learn some CSS - there are great references on the Internet to help. I am constantly going to http://www.w3schools.com/css to check on syntax and test things out.

9 - if you are having problems with a widget/plugin - try it with another theme (twenty-eleven) - if you still have the issue, contact the plugin's author.

=========================
If you still need help and open a thread
=========================
1 - Provide the version number of Atahualpa and WP you are running - saying 'I'm using the latest version' is useless, what if a new version came out earlier today or you only think you are using the latest version. Besides, six months from now that statement won't help someone else looking for an answer.

2 - Provide the URL! - if there is a problem on a particular page - give the url pointing to the page!!

3 - be descriptive - if you have a problem with a widget, don't say ' one of my widgets doesn't work' or 'I want to change the title of a widget to blue' - doing this may get you the code to change the wrong one. - Better to say, I have the PAGES widget in the inner right sidebar and I want to change the title to blue, what do I do?' (Of course you will never ask this question because you will have already searched the forums and found the answer already - I was just using this as an example)

4 - attach an export of your settings (ATO->Export/Import Settings)

5 - only ask one question per thread and don't ask a second question till the first is answered.

6 - if you have an issue with a plugin, give a direct link to the download of the plugin

If you do all these things, you will learn and probably solve your own problem and get an answer much more quickly.

Last edited by juggledad; May 7, 2015 at 05:29 AM. Reason: added - disable plug-ins
Old Apr 5, 2010, 09:45 AM
Wimbledon

320 posts · Apr 2009
[VA & AZ], USA
All of the points above are very good advice juggledad. I really have to echo #1 especially - almost everything has been asked already at some point!