Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

Future Post 3.7.24 Stability, Kickstarter for Upgrades, Alternatives

Old Jun 23, 2017, 03:48 PM
bswb97

158 posts · Aug 2010
I've build customer sites on Atahualpa for years. I've got my one tricks and hacks on it, but the core customizability always works the best for me to set up the foundation of my site before I really dive into the CSS.

I understand that there won't be any significant upgrades due to WordPress' rule about the (awful and limited) options panel.

Flynn, Juggledad, so will there never be any further upgrades after 3.7.24? Atahualpa has been stable for a while but I worry about WordPress changing a core element that winds up with rendering problems.

Two tangents to that.

1) Juggledad mentioned that it would cost about $4k in hours to revise Atahualpa and make it compliant. Would the team be willing to crowdfund this? I would be happy to donate to this cause.

2) Has anyone found a theme with a similar structure (up to four sidebars, header and footer space)? I can most likely CSS-hack widths and other stuff as needed but I really need the core structural options of Atahualpa. My graphic design partner has learned to use it well in her designs before I build.

Thanks! And if this truly is the end of it outside of support on this forum, I just want to say thank you to the team. From a developer standpoint, you've created the best skeleton theme I've encountered in ten years of using WordPress.

Last edited by bswb97; Jun 24, 2017 at 01:23 PM. Reason: correct typo in headline
Old Aug 8, 2017, 09:06 PM
bswb97

158 posts · Aug 2010
No one answered this but I found a theme that I like called Donna. It's free, though there's a premium version. It's adaptable for different three-column layouts and pretty flexible with a good CSS structure. I use a CSS plugin and a header/footer plugin and I can achieve pretty much the same thing as Atahualpa, though the configuration isn't broken into nice sections like Atahualpa.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 06:58 AM
frenk

2 posts · Mar 2010
Hi!

I think that complying to WP rules and making a plugin with the options for Atahuapla as they are (something like for Parabola theme) could be a good solution with minimum effort.

Are there any news about future versions of the Atahualpa theme?

Crowdfunding is also a nice suggestion ...

Best regards F.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 07:18 AM
Steve700

17 posts · Dec 2016
Ohio
I am a novice user and had a hard time finding a theme for my genealogy site. I tried numerous WordPress themes. Twenty-fourteen showed some promise but found if you're not a coder or a big fan of green, you're out of luck. After reading reviews about Atahualpa I installed it and was amazed at the flexibility and ease of use. Atahualpa was like finding a diamond in the rough for me. The Atahualpa options surpassed ever other theme I tried.

A quick look at the WordPress download page reveals users are still downloading Atahualpa. I have not found another theme that offers so many ways to customize a site and would be more than willing to contribute to either an upgrade version or configurable plugin. If WordPress changes the core, and causes rendering problems with Atahualpa, I will be out of luck.

Thanks Flynn for developing a great theme and Juggledad and lmilesw for your extremely valuable help.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 08:28 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
I still keep using Atahualpa and if a issue with a WP comes up, I'll try to fix it and put the corrections here. I don't always look at the forum every day but do check in.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 12:41 PM
rickpoet

80 posts · Jan 2010
Hi,

I'm a self confessed Atahualpa lover...(My wife gets jealous sometimes...oh you're spending time with Atahualpa again..." It gets awkward.)

I would definitely contribute to help bring Atahualpa to the modern responsive / compatible with current WP theme requirements...so if that's a possibility, ignore the rest of this and tell me it's a go and I'll donate away.

That having been said, I don't think I can legitimately develop a new site for a client with Atahualpa without it being future or even today-proof, responsive etc...so with gratitude for the developers and support experts here for all the work and incredible response time on every issue, I would love to continue this conversation about alternatives, or successors.

I haven't found anything perfect yet...I've used ZPlus for a couple sites...it's a similar approach with lots of options, though they don't seem as well organized or as intuitive as Atahualpa and I find sites are a little slow.

I glanced at Donna as suggested earlier in this thread, but heard to tell without a demo of the admin area available.

Anyone have any other suggestions based on experience with Atahualpa and having to find something else? Divi? Beaver Builder.

Thanks!

Rick
(Atahualpa will always be my first love.)
Old Oct 7, 2017, 04:38 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Just to let anuyone reading this, at one point one of the people who made the decision about the customizer said he could convert Atahualpa but he would charge $6,000 to do it. It would be a significant committment of time to pull off. (sad face)
Old Dec 12, 2017, 12:20 AM
bswb97

158 posts · Aug 2010
I have found an alternative that I like. It's a plugin called Oxygen, which overrides your current theme. It's similar to Atahualpa in that the foundation is built upon activating settings and tweaking them, then adding custom CSS on top of that as needed. Oxygen is half WYSYWIG, half code. It's very powerful and inherently responsive, though it does cost $100 (when I bought it, it was a one-time purchase that could be used for as many sites as you want).