Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » New Versions, & Updating »

Is the current theme version the last that will be available?

Old Feb 13, 2017, 03:06 AM
negue

13 posts · Jul 2012
Romania
Hello,

Seeing no updates for Atahualpa in quite a while, I thought I should pass by and ask those in the know if this theme is considered a closed project. Wordpress advances, updates, and I believe the themes should keep up with said updates.

What is going on with Atahualpa? I became kinda attached to it, easy to use, plenty of options.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 06:45 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Sad to say, the short answer is 'There will not be any more updates on WordPress.'

The long answer/reason is that a year and a half ago, the Wordpress Theme Review team made the unilateraial decision that all themes must use the customizer. They decided to force standardization of theme options. (Stifling inovation in my mind)

In order to change Atahualpa to conform to the 'customizer' it would take a complete rewrite of the theme and I don't think it would be nearly as easy and powerful as it is. (One of the theme review team said he would rewrite it for $4,000.00)

If any issues occur, we will still try to address them with patches and maybe supply a new releaase on this site if needed.

Hope this answers your concerns.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 12:56 PM
negue

13 posts · Jul 2012
Romania
Thank you. That is indeed sad. So even with a $4,000 theme rewrite, there is no way to tell if it will have the options that really make it so easy to use...

About patches, I have seen threads. Are these patches generally recommended (as in "for all Atahualpa users") or do these address plugin conflicts ect?

I understand the (forced) decision not to update the theme on the Wordpress site anymore. However, you have mentioned the possibility of a new version becoming available here, on the bytesforall site. I have used this theme for so long, yet contributed almost zero. If the team decides to release a new, up-to-date version, I would very much like to be informed about this option. You could eventually make it a 2-versions, like others do: Free, no support, no tickets, no... nothing, and the Premium version, paid, more customization options, support/tickets system included. I don't think the price would be a prohibitive one, or at least I hope so. I would be among the customers for the Premium version for sure, as a lot of the actual theme users would be too, I think.

Once again thank you for explaining what's going on. Have a great week!
Old Apr 2, 2017, 05:22 PM
ctenos

23 posts · Jul 2009
I would also be very happy to pay a significant price (or make a contribution) to be able to continue using this outstanding theme.

In case that doesn't happen, can anyone guess how long it might be before WordPress drifts so far that Atahualpa stops working? And can anyone suggest a theme that - if not as superbly customizable - is at least somewhat comparable to this gem?

Thanks for replies, and thanks to Atahualpa's creators and managers for several years' use of this terrific theme.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 03:09 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Quote:
In case that doesn't happen, can anyone guess how long it might be before WordPress drifts so far that Atahualpa stops working?
twenty minutes...30 years??? Your guess is as good as anyone's.