Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » New Versions, & Updating »

Still getting Update Available notice after manual update

Old Nov 22, 2016, 04:50 PM
tbaxter

92 posts · May 2012
Germantown, MD
I uploaded the update manually, with the version number on the end of the theme folder name.

But my original theme still shows an "Update available" on the theme in the Theme menu, and also in the Updates panel.

How do I deal with that and get rid of the notice?
Old Nov 23, 2016, 05:05 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
So If I understand you, you have two copies of Atahualpa installed - the current version and an old version, but the old version is the active theme and it is displaying the update message. Do I have that correct?
Old Nov 23, 2016, 08:35 AM
tbaxter

92 posts · May 2012
Germantown, MD
You're right about the two versions, but the newer version is the active one. And the older one is saying it needs to be updated.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 10:43 AM
tbaxter

92 posts · May 2012
Germantown, MD
Just noticed a couple of other anomalies:

http://carmichael-hill.com/
  • Once logged in, there's no black bar at the top of the home page showing you’re logged in and giving access to edit
  • when home page is opened from Pages, it only shows Text view, not Visual view. Cannot switch.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 03:01 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Quote:
ou're right about the two versions, but the newer version is the active one. And the older one is saying it needs to be updated.
Why would you expect anything different?
Quote:
Once logged in, there's no black bar at the top of the home page showing you’re logged in and giving access to edit
when home page is opened from Pages, it only shows Text view, not Visual view. Cannot switch.
have you tried disabling ALL your plugins?
Old Nov 23, 2016, 03:18 PM
tbaxter

92 posts · May 2012
Germantown, MD
"Why would you expect anything different?"

Because in your instructions for updating the program, you told us to load the new version by ftp into the Themes folder, and include the version number after the theme name. So I figured it would automatically detect the new version and no longer tell me it needed to be updated.

Is there something missing in your instructions for updating? Did I miss a key step? Should I add the version number to the old file name? Should I click on the auto update version of the old theme? Would that screw up the already updated version already installed?

Clearly I'm missing something. I'd love for you to spell it out to me.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 03:27 PM
tbaxter

92 posts · May 2012
Germantown, MD
Deactivating plugins didn't do anything.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 04:23 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Wordpress is looking at the versions of themes you have installed and looking at what the newest version is for that theme. If there is a newer version, WordPress tells you about it. If you want to see the reminder removed, remove the older version of Atahualpa.

as for your other issue, what happens if you swap to twenty sixteen, do you see the same issue?
Old Nov 23, 2016, 06:01 PM
tbaxter

92 posts · May 2012
Germantown, MD
Ah. So, the paragraph in the updating instructions that says, "By manually installing the new version, you can actually have multiple versions of the theme in the theme picker. This allows you to 'try out' the new version and switch back to the old version if you have an issue. So here is a suggest list of steps to take to install a new version of the theme." is true up to a point... you don't want to permanently keep both versions... Got it.

Switching the theme to Twenty Sixteen did nothing.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 07:13 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Quote:
Switching the theme to Twenty Sixteen did nothing.
so with twenty sixteen you still have the issue?

If s, go check your user profile to make sure the option is turned on.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 10:16 PM
tbaxter

92 posts · May 2012
Germantown, MD
Apologies. With Twenty Sixteen, the black bar returns. That does fix it, with that theme activated.

I did not understand your comment about the user profile... *what* option?
Old Nov 24, 2016, 03:28 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Quote:
I did not understand your comment about the user profile... *what* option?
dashboard-> Users->edit (a user)->Toolbar

What browser are you using?

I just tested it in Safari, fireFox and Chrome and in all three browsers, IF I am logged in, I see the black admin bar at the top.
If you don't then I would suspect that ou added some CSS to remove it. I'd check your CSS Inserts.

Last edited by juggledad; Nov 24, 2016 at 04:02 AM.