Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Installation/Upgrade Issues »

Sidebar reset after upgrading to version 3.7.24

Old May 31, 2015, 01:37 AM
Mikii

23 posts · Jul 2009
Hi.

I lost all the sidebars settings after updating to 3.7.24. They got back to a default wordpress installation.

I tried exporting and re-importing settings and this did not work. I also try to save all the different settings after updating and this did not work either.

Reverting to version 3.7.23 solved the problem.

Any suggestion? thank you.
Old May 31, 2015, 10:55 AM
geezergeek

19 posts · Mar 2014
Same problem here. Everything else seems to work fine, but this affects all posts and pages. I hope they issue a fix pronto. Seems clear this update did not undergo careful testing, as that's an elementary problem, immediately visible.
Old May 31, 2015, 02:00 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
I knew this was going to turn out to be an issue.

WordPress created a new requirement for themes - dealing with widgets - that had to be included in themes or your theme would fail the review and not be approved. And it effects your widgets.

If you go to your widgets page, you should see all your widgets in the 'inactive widgets' area - you can just drag them back to the sidebars.

Last edited by juggledad; Jun 1, 2015 at 03:50 AM.
Old May 31, 2015, 02:11 PM
geezergeek

19 posts · Mar 2014
Why does no one issue an alert on this before the upgrade goes out, or accompanying the upgrade? Easier to move and reinstall my widgets at that point than to revert to the previous theme, move the widgets, install the new theme, etc.

Last edited by juggledad; Jun 1, 2015 at 03:50 AM.
Old May 31, 2015, 06:04 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Quote:
Why does no one issue an alert on this before the upgrade goes out,
How? Do you come here before doing every install? do you go to every plugin's page to see it there is an alert before doing an update?

You do a full database and file backup before doing ANY update so you can revert in case of an issue...right?

I feel your frustration, I am bothered when A change I make effects others especially when the change is mandated by WP. This is not the first tie a WP 'decree' has come down that causes ripple effects. What bothers me about this one is that people were arguing against it becasue of the ramifications and WP did it anyway...sigh

Last edited by juggledad; Jun 12, 2015 at 01:37 PM.
Old May 31, 2015, 08:07 PM
geezergeek

19 posts · Mar 2014
Many thanks. Relatively painless, and now all's well again. Some online searching indicates that this should be solvable within Atahualpa -- some mdofication of the theme templates. Should we expect that in the next update, or will we have to go through this again?
Old Jun 1, 2015, 12:26 AM
lancecarr

8 posts · Aug 2010
I just update and of course the side bar stuff disappeared... but!
If you just go into the Widgets area there will be a new entry of Inactive Sidebar and your widgets will be there.

Just decide which new sidebar you will be using then drag the old widget to that one and everything is back to normal.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 02:19 AM
Mikii

23 posts · Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by geezergeek
Exactly how do you "revert to the prior version"? A search for that here at the forum brings up nothing.
This is the link I used:
https://wordpress.org/themes/downloa....zip?nostats=1

You have to download the file on your local computer. Then you have to connect via ftp to your website dir, and replace all the "new" atahualpa content with the one in your local 3.7.23 folder. Hope this helps.

EDIT: just fund this! it is supposed to import / export widget settings, but have NOT tried yet. Have no time now:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/widget...-importexport/

Last edited by Mikii; Jun 1, 2015 at 02:31 AM.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 03:57 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
@geezergeek
Quote:
Should we expect that in the next update, or will we have to go through this again?
No, this is one time 'issue'
Old Jun 1, 2015, 09:55 AM
Gail_NK

128 posts · Oct 2010
Juggledad,

Good news in this flurry:
1) The system seemed to keep all my "removed" widgets in order, so all I had to do was move them back to the proper side bar or widget space.
2) With any new widgets I added I was lucky enough (certainly not smart enough!) to label each one with its proper location. My memory is just bad enough that I need all the clues I can get! So all I had to do was put the "removed" widgets in the right boxes.

Wow, that was a heart-stopper this morning!

Thanks for the great support!!!

Gail N-K
Old Jun 11, 2015, 02:43 PM
tfarrell

43 posts · Dec 2012
Ireland
Hello

I have just done the update and without any warning the site falls apart. I have had to take it offline for the last two days while I try to figure out what is gone wrong. On the right column I have two overlapping sets of information appearing. One is ads that should be there and overlapping them is a long list of every link and category on my site.

I have restored the widgets from the unused section but that does not clear up the problem with the right column.

Is all this just confined to this theme or are other themes similarly impacted?

Would really appreciate helpful advice.
The site is offline for now but if somebody wants to take a look I can turn it back on.
Thanks

Last edited by lmilesw; Jun 11, 2015 at 03:08 PM.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 03:11 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Did you have two sidebars operational? Are all the widgets that were in them back in them? What version did you update from?
Old Jun 11, 2015, 03:43 PM
tfarrell

43 posts · Dec 2012
Ireland
Thanks

I had two sidebars operational.
One on Left and one on right. The left one was easy to fix, just replace the widgets.

The right inner is where the adds are and I replaced the widgets there but other material was overlapping them.

I played around with things and put a widget into the right sidebar and to my surprise all the links etc disappeared.

I now have one widget in that otherwise unused right sidebar with just the code for a line and all is working perfectly.The overlapping material has disappeared.

I have put the site back online.

http://careersnews.ie/

I am very puzzled on what is happening, any explanation.
I have got to know this theme and like what it does for me, so I am not anxious to go looking for a replacement any time soon.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 04:09 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Here is what happened.

When a theme adds a sidebar, you could optionally give the sidebar an ID. If you didn't give it an ID, WordPress would create a random ID.

Things have changed and now WordPress requires that each sidebar have a unique ID. In order for a theme to pass the theme review, it couldn't have any errors so we had to set a unique id.

And you are seeing the repercussions. When you upgrade, the theme now registers the new ID, but all the widgets are using the random ID wordpress assigned. Since they don't match, WordPress moves all the widgets to the inactive widget area.

And (in your case) since there weren't any widgets in the right sidebar, the theme puts in the default ones. Once you added a widget to the right sidebar, the default ones go away.

Last edited by juggledad; Mar 9, 2017 at 11:39 AM.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 10:19 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Instead of putting an empty widget in the sidebar you could also just set that sidebar not to show in the theme settings.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 04:37 PM
tfarrell

43 posts · Dec 2012
Ireland
Hello
Thanks to both of you for the reasoned (and calm) replies. When something breaks it is easy to think the worst and think that there is no solution. I am pleased to say that my confidence in the theme has been completely restored and the site is working normally again.

Keep up the good work.

TF
Old Jun 30, 2015, 09:41 AM
alain61

2 posts · Aug 2011
With the new version 3.7.24, i had same problem with my sidebars (left and right)
I lost all the sidebars settings after updating

I can just drag widgets in the 'inactive widgets' area back to the sidebars and that's ok

But when i read a post or a page, i lost again the 2 sidebars ...

I had this
<?php $left_col="on"; $right_col="on"; ?>

in header.php and footer.php and that's ok
Old Jun 30, 2015, 12:50 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
@alain61: are you saying you have an issue or is that what you did to resolve a problem you had?