Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

[SOLVED] Images Displaying Larger than Actual Size in Posts/Pages

Old Oct 18, 2011, 04:29 PM
travelswithkim

3 posts · Oct 2011
Hi,

I've searched for an answer both on the forums and search engines and can't seem to find an answer as to why my images aren't displaying correctly. I don't know what exactly is causing the problem so I thought I'd post here to see if anyone's experienced something similar when posting images.

The Problem:
Photos of different pixel widths are all displayed at the same width in my posts and pages when I select "full size."

For example, I have an image of dimensions 550x413 and one of 600x400 and insert them both at full size into a post. When viewing the post, they are displayed at the same exact size (which is actually larger than the image size itself. If you right click>view image you'll see the size shrink). It seems the images are getting upsized, so to speak.

Atahualpa settings:
Layout max width = 800
Right Sidebar width = 250

I'm not sure where to find out exactly what the center column width is but I believe it's about 650.

I've tried tweaking all of the settings I can think of in both Atahualpa and Wordpress and am at a loss as to what's causing this.

I'm using Atahualpa 3.6.7 and Wordpress 3.2.1. Here's a page with some example images sizes:
http://www.travelswithkim.com/test-image-sizes/

If anyone has any ideas I'd be grateful to hear them.

Thanks so much in advance!
Kim
Old Oct 18, 2011, 09:14 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
The images are physically larger than the area I see them in which is about 500px wide.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 04:16 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
when you use 'size-full' you are assigning a CSS 'class' to the element, so you have to look at the code to see what that CSS does
HTML Code:
.post img.size-full {
   max-width:96%;
   width:auto 100%;
   margin:5px 0 5px 0
   }
since your page max width is 800px and your right sidebar is 250px, the post area is (800-250) 550px wide. Since you have an image that is 750px, but with the CSS you tell it to only use 96% of the available space (96% of 550px = 528px) it is resized to site the space.

If you were to take off the 'size-full' the entire image would show and it would overlap the right sidebar.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 08:35 AM
travelswithkim

3 posts · Oct 2011
Thanks for the quick responses!

@lmilesw-
Looks like I should've made the center column larger to better illustrate my issue. I've reset the layout Max width to 1050, which should make the center column 800 so all of the images should now be smaller than the width available.

@juggledad-
Whoops, it would help if I did my math correctly. You're right - the center column was initially 550. And thanks for the other info but I'm still having trouble.

Now that I've made the layout max width 1050, all of the images are now displaying at different sizes. However, they're all displaying at sizes larger than their actual pixel size which is degrading the quality of the photos.

There are two ways I can tell the images are displaying larger:

1) When right clicking on the image > view image, the image noticeably shrinks from the size it was showing on the post or page.
2) When in Photoshop I can view the photo at "actual pixel" size and it's smaller than what's getting displayed on the screen in my posts and pages.

Basically, all of the images seem to be showing at something like 125% instead of 100% or less.

I mainly use Firefox and this is where I'm having the issue. I just tested on Internet Explorer and interestingly the problem doesn't occur there. The images show at their true size.

Thanks again for your help!
Old Oct 19, 2011, 10:28 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Do you, perhaps, have your browser set with a zoom? they are the same size when I look at them in Safari on my mac
Old Oct 19, 2011, 10:47 AM
travelswithkim

3 posts · Oct 2011
@juggledad,

That was exactly what the problem was! I had totally forgotten that I changed the zoom and didn't realize how it was affecting the overall display of the page and images. I spent so much time and could not figure out what it was until you suggested that.

I really appreciate your help. Thanks again!