Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Plugins & Atahualpa »

Automatic Backup of theme AND contents needed

Old Jul 4, 2011, 06:26 AM
quintain

68 posts · Nov 2010
Hi
WP 3.1.4 - ATA 3.6.7

Can any one recommend a free plugin (or low cost) to automatically backup my site/s.

Backupbuddy premium plugin seems very expensive.

I would prefer to set the backup to do its work automatically and then have the files zipped to me or amazon s3 without me being involved again.

Ease of use of the backup to restore the site when the proverbial hits the fan is important.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 07:43 AM
KatyDigg

319 posts · Jul 2009
I tend to prefer manual back up, does not take long, though I dare say if you have large number of sites to back up then auto would deem necessary.

Run a search for WP-DBManager as it is referred to often, here.

Looking at WP Plugin Directory - updated fairly recently:

Compatible up to: 3.1.4
Last Updated: 2011-5-3
Downloads: 445,859

Here is a useful BFA Forum Link to Back Ups / WP-DBManager http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthr...t=wp-dbmanager ... you can schedule backups and have the backup emailed to you.

Last edited by KatyDigg; Jul 4, 2011 at 08:29 AM. Reason: typo
Old Jul 4, 2011, 01:51 PM
rickheck

139 posts · Oct 2009
Best one I have used is "WP Database Backups" by Austin Matzko ... here http://austinmatzko.com/wordpress-plugins/wp-db-backup/

Can backup to server, or send via email. Works really good, simple to use.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 02:59 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Remember, a database backup is only half he solution. If you don't backup the wp-contents folder and plugins, themes, or media you upload is not backed up.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 05:01 PM
quintain

68 posts · Nov 2010
Hi Everyone
Thanks for your replies and advice.
I realise this forum is not for general WP matters such as backup but the ATA community always wants to help, hence my question.

I have just looked in WP Plugins and chose the following backup plugin to try out. (my knowledge doesn't allow me to judge it tech' ability but seems OK & can be set to auto)
Any thoughts and or advice about it would be good.

EZPZ One Click Backup(OCB)
http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/.../installation/
Old Jul 4, 2011, 06:50 PM
Jam

1,112 posts · Mar 2011
Perth, Western Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by STB
Keep in mind most (last time I checked, about all) free/cheap backup plugins take care of the "backup" part ...
but don't let you easily restore your backup.

Not impossible ..but a lot more manual work and knowledge needed.
could mean the difference between getting a site back in half an hour or ..say.. 1 or 2 days.

Depends on how critical it is for you to get a site up and running again.
This post should be in bold, take note people, STB is spot on here.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 03:12 AM
KatyDigg

319 posts · Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by STB
Keep in mind most (last time I checked, about all) free/cheap backup plugins take care of the "backup" part ...
but don't let you easily restore your backup.

Not impossible ..but a lot more manual work and knowledge needed.
could mean the difference between getting a site back in half an hour or ..say.. 1 or 2 days.

Depends on how critical it is for you to get a site up and running again.

Absolutely, that's why I prefer manual backup.

And, I can get a site back up in half an hour.