Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Page & Category Menu Bars »

How to segregate my blog...

Old Apr 26, 2009, 08:54 PM
scrubbs

22 posts · Apr 2009
Blog is http://www.inspirationalparenting.com.

The main purpose of the site is to provide a source of inspiration to parents. It is not a place for griping, venting or whatever... only uplifting info.

I have had requests, however, to add a separate page/section/not sure where parents can post questions and ask for help. I would love to provide this but it cannot be intermingled with the "inspiring" posts.

Is there a way to segregate these out or would I have to host a totally separate blog instance that I reference?
Old Apr 27, 2009, 07:06 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
You can create a page, at Theme Options -> Comments -> Allow comments on page pages too? choose yes, and in index.php change

PHP Code:
if ( is_single() OR ( is_page() AND $bfa_ata['comments_on_pages'] == "Yes") ) { 
to

PHP Code:
if ( is_single() OR ( is_page( array('Some Page''Another Page')) AND 
$bfa_ata['comments_on_pages'] == "Yes") ) { 
With "Some Page" and "Another Page" being the titles of the pages where comments are enabled.

Additionally you can choose to not include these pages in the page menu bar by putting their ID's into Theme Options -> Page Menu Bar -> Exclude pages from Page Menu Bar?

Then you could use a text widget to link to these pages from within the sidebar. Into the text widget you'd put
HTML Code:
 <ul>
<li><a href="/link/to/some-page/">Some Page</a></li>
<li><a href="/link/to/another-page/">Another Page</a></li>
</ul>
Old Apr 29, 2009, 01:26 PM
scrubbs

22 posts · Apr 2009
Perhaps I should know this but which index.php files do I change? I do not want this change to be universal.

The more I think about it, the basic function I am looking to add is the ability to do the following:

1. Have pages that show posts from specific categories... your code adds show me how to do this but I don't know where to add them...

2. Add an empty div container that auto adjusts height to the page template so that I can add information before the posts start... kind of like how they do it on wordpress.com when you search for a subject and you end up on a page that first summarizes that subject and then starts showing the posts below. Does that make sense?

This container would basically let me add static content on every page that would appear above where the posts start.

Is this possible?

I imagine this would really be something a lot of people would find useful as it would allow them to define pages more. It would even let me setup more of a homepage idea as I could add a bunch of static content with the posts following...

Last edited by scrubbs; Apr 29, 2009 at 01:29 PM.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 06:45 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
All files mentioned on this forum refer to files of the theme Atahualpa, in the theme's directory /wp-content/themes/atahualpa/ unless stated otherwise. There are various other index.php files inside a Wordpress installation but they belong to Wordpress and you'd usually never edit them

To add posts from a specific category to a specific static page use the Page2Cat plugin. Atahualpa is prepared for it, no file edits needed. I think this is what you want to do. Also regarding height of DIV's, they always adjust them selves to the height of their content if no height is specified.
Old May 1, 2009, 02:28 PM
scrubbs

22 posts · Apr 2009
I am trying to understand what will happen if I implement the changes to index.php that you have made. Won't changes made to index.php effect the entire site?

Let me try to better explain the goal...

Instead of the categories simply acting as a sorting function I would like to set it up as follows...

Homepage:
Has a static section div in the top of the middle section allowing me to add whatever content I want.
After this section, I would include posts and comments related to them associated with the category "Featured".

Page 1
Has the same header, sides and footer as all pages but the posts section is as follows:
1. Starts with a static area that I can change at will which is used to describe that page. This is the Div container I was talking about.
2. Below that container you would see the Posts and Comments marked Category 1.

Page 2, 3 and so on would have the same layout so that I could include some static information followed by posts and comments for category 2, 3 and so on.

I want to know how to basically do two things:

1. How to include a div container into the template that would be positioned in the center section right above where the posts begin. This would allow me to summarize the purpose of each page before the posts begin...

2. I want to know how to make each page show posts only for a set category. ie, page one is called "Parent Humor" and it consequently only includes category items set to Parent Humor. Sounds like Page2Cat can do this but I could not find that plugin? I found similar, unsupported plugins only. This would have to be something I could do for multiple pages and not just the main page of the site.

Sorry If I have been unclear before but I sincerely appreciate your support!!! If I can get this working the way I need I plan on making regular contributions to you!

If needed, you can email me at novelljeff@yahoo.com and we could take this offline. I could even give you my cell phone through email to discuss further.

Last edited by scrubbs; May 1, 2009 at 02:31 PM.
Old May 4, 2009, 09:49 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
1. For now you'd have to edit index.php. for this. You'll have to re-apply your changes to new theme versions, but not for long as in 3.3.4 (hopefully within May) this would be possible through the theme options. Edit index.php and put your code right after <?php get_header(); ?>

2. http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/page2cat/ can do all that
Old May 7, 2009, 01:14 PM
scrubbs

22 posts · Apr 2009
Thanks for all your assistance. One more thing I hope you can help me with and I think things will be as needed.

I have installed the page2cat plugin. It is exactly what I was looking for but it doesn't work exactly right and no one is supporting it any longer. The forum is gone as well as the developer's page.

Perhaps you can tell me what is going on... once I create a page and associate it with a category, if I then click on that category, it automatically brings up the page with the respective posts... perfect.

But if I go directly to that page, all it shows is the page with no posts. Is there some way to get it so that things look as they should whether you access the page directly or click on the category link?

One thing I noticed is that, if I go directly to the page, the link looks like this... http://inspirationalparenting.com/in...nal-parenting/

If I click on the related category, the link looks like this... http://inspirationalparenting.com/ca...nal-parenting/

Can I make it so that both links show the same information and posts?

Thanks!

Last edited by scrubbs; May 7, 2009 at 05:33 PM.
Old May 8, 2009, 02:51 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
One is the static page, the other URL is the category page, that you associated with the static page. Everything seems to work as expected. Page2Cat can either add posts of category X at the bottom of static page Y, or add the content of static page Y at the top of the category page X, with category page X being the page that lists all posts that were filed under category X.

You also removed the static page from the page menu at Atahualpa Theme Options -> Page Menu Bar -> Exclude pages from Page Menu Bar? Since the link to static page X (the URL without /category/) isn't listed anywhere anymore, the fact that it still exists shouldn't be a problem.
Old May 8, 2009, 05:23 PM
scrubbs

22 posts · Apr 2009
I removed the pages from the page menu bar because I don't want people going to them and not seeing the posts. But I also want people to be able to click on the categories and see the page info I have put in place.

Sounds like my best solution at this point is to go ahead and stick with the way I have it setup while hiding the pages.

If you ever find a solution that allows both options let me know...

Thanks so much for your dedicated assistance!
Old May 8, 2009, 06:02 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Yes you were supposed to remove the pages from the menu, I just wanted to reiterate that you did. The way it is now it works well IMO
Old May 15, 2009, 04:23 PM
monardo

10 posts · Feb 2009
Hi Flynn,
In the site I am doing we are not showing the "Categories" on the sidebars...
I installed page2cat and by reading this thread I realize that the posts won't show on the pages if clicking on the Page Menu Bar...
Well... just to be sure... isn't there any way of going around this issue*? It would be great!
Thanks in advance!

I found this in WP forums... but honestly, I don't understand a bit of it!
http://wordpress.org/support/topic/254427?replies=2
Old May 16, 2009, 07:06 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Page2Cat can do both. Display posts of Category X on Page Y, or display the content of Page Y on top of Category page X.
Old May 17, 2009, 04:58 PM
monardo

10 posts · Feb 2009
Yes I can see that, but the problem is that it always shows as a "/cat=x" page.
And unless I can force the item in the "page menu bar" to link to a "/cat=x" page it naturally goes to a "page_id=xx".
Example:
- In the site I am doing I would like the "We Inspire" page to have posts.
- "We inspire" is a page (/page_id=14)
- I installed page2cat, created the links between pages and categories and it works fine when clicking on a "category" item (if shown on the page).
- Categories are not shown in my site, so I would like to arrive to my actual page "We inspire" with it's related posts, just by clicking on the page menu bar. If I do so now, I only see the contents of the page without the posts.

Hoping I was clear...
Cheers and thanks!
Old May 17, 2009, 06:01 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Understood but why aren't you using the "cat posts on static page" method then?

Show posts of a category at the bottom of a static page. The static page would be linked in the page menu bar. Clicking on that link in the page menu bar would lead to the static page, listing the posts of the category.

These are two completely different modes of the Page2Cat plugin. They require a different setup and usage. I am not sure if you are aware of that.

In post #11 you mention "the posts won't show on the pages if clicking on the menu bar" but that's not the case.
Old May 19, 2009, 09:08 AM
monardo

10 posts · Feb 2009
Hi Flynn,
To be honest I don't know how to use the "cat posts on static page" method.
I went through all the available settings of cat2page and didn't find it.
I will look at other threads around here in case it is a custom setting that can be done, but if you can give me a hand...

Thanks again!
Old May 19, 2009, 12:04 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Look at the plugin description or the homepage of the plugin, it is described there. One method is configured through the plugin's settings page, the other method by putting template tags into a page
Old Aug 13, 2010, 10:53 AM
lblblog

7 posts · Aug 2010
I am trying to do this too now. But this hasn't worked for me; I must be doing something wrong?
Atahualpa 353 theme.

I want posts of a few categories on front page and posts of other categories to be on other specified pages. But I don't wan't any single post to appear on more than one page.
I set all the page and category links with Page2Cat, but it doesn't seem to work.
It just changed the title from category menus I already had set to say, "Archive from (cat name)." None of my posts actually changed their page location.