Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Plugins & Atahualpa »

Landing Page (and Connection between Blog & Website)

Old Jul 22, 2009, 09:42 PM
SCLove

26 posts · Apr 2009
I am just learning about the importance of Landing Pages and was wondering if you could give me some advice:

In thinking about my question, below, maybe the smartest way to accomplish this is to push people from the WordPress Blog (www.lovepalmspringshomes.com) to something like the Property Valuation Page of my website (www.palmspringsgreathomes.com). I am imagining it wouldn't matter whether they had to provide their info either on the blog or site as long as we captured it. The site would open in a new window and they could either proceed with the site or blog after requesting their info.

1. Is there a Landing page Template that I can use for my WP Blog (incorporating a "Call to Action" - maybe for a Free property Analysis)?

2. Also, any ideas of how I can funnel traffic between the Word Press blog and my website site using a Landing Page?

Thanks very much.

Regards,

Stephen Love
Old Jul 23, 2009, 09:46 AM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
For a landing page you'd usually not want sidebars and not list the page in the page menu bar. You can do both through the theme options but to turn off the header and footer as well it would probably be best to create a page template for this, because that's not possible through the theme options alone, unless search engines don't matter for these landing pages, then you could do it through the theme options, with a CSS Insert

td#header,
td#footer {
display: none;
}

But the content will still be there, just not visible, which may be considered spamming/cloaking by search engines.

A cleaner way would be to remove header/footer for real: Create a new template named i.e. landingpage1.php with the following content

<?php
/*
Template Name: Landing Page 1
*/
?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" <?php language_attributes(); ?>>
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="<?php bloginfo('html_type'); ?>; charset=<?php bloginfo('charset'); ?>" />
<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=EmulateIE7" />

... plus other stuff copied from the <head>...</head> section of Atahualpa's header.php depending on what WP functionality you actually need for this page

</head>
<body>

Free style HTML here, and can use fragments from Atahualpa's index.php and Wordpress functions

The Atahualpa layout code is spread over header.php, index.php and footer.php: Best to create a new simple layout altogether, a simple centered div

<div style="margin:50px auto;padding:50px;border:solid 2px #000000;font-size:1em;text-align:center">
Content of landing page...
</div>

</body>

Upload this landingpage1.php into the Atahualpa theme directory, write a page in the WP write page panel, choose "Landing Page 1" as the page template (see drop down select menu at top right of Write Panel), and in ATO -> Page Menu Bar -> Exclude pages from Page Menu Bar? put the ID of the page to exclude it from the page menu
Old Jul 23, 2009, 10:42 AM
SCLove

26 posts · Apr 2009
Thank you very much, Flynn. But how would this lead the reader to the website page?
Old Jul 23, 2009, 11:49 AM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
I probably didn't understand the question. A landing page is usually used for visitors coming from outside i.e. from ads. To send visitors back and forth between your other site and your WP site, you'd set links
Old Jul 28, 2009, 10:24 AM
SCLove

26 posts · Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynn
I probably didn't understand the question. A landing page is usually used for visitors coming from outside i.e. from ads. To send visitors back and forth between your other site and your WP site, you'd set links
Yes, I understand that. Back to your advice regarding setting up the Landing Page. I think I follow you and would want to proceed with the "cleaner" way that you advised. I've copied the part of your message below that confuses me. What other stuff? Fragments? Then you say "Best to create a new simple layout altogether" (as a third option?). I'm confused. Do I do this by starting the same way in creating a template. (Haven't tried to create a template and assume it's self-explanatory in the Theme Dash as opposed to WP Dash?)

Wordpress for Dummies describes a simple approach using the Default Theme. Can I follow this without affecting my Atahualpa functionality?

Here's the excerpt of your reply tat I referenced above. Thanks, Flynn.....

... plus other stuff copied from the <head>...</head> section of Atahualpa's header.php depending on what WP functionality you actually need for this page

</head>
<body>

Free style HTML here, and can use fragments from Atahualpa's index.php and Wordpress functions

The Atahualpa layout code is spread over header.php, index.php and footer.php: Best to create a new simple layout altogether, a simple centered div

<div style="margin:50px auto;padding:50px;border:solid 2px #000000;font-size:1em;text-align:center">
Content of landing page...
</div>

</body>

Upload this landingpage1.php into the Atahualpa theme directory, write a page in the WP write page panel, choose "Landing Page 1" as the page template (see drop down select menu at top right of Write Panel), and in ATO -> Page Menu Bar -> Exclude pages from Page Menu Bar? put the ID of the page to exclude it from the page menu
Old Jul 29, 2009, 11:45 AM
SCLove

26 posts · Apr 2009
Flynn: Please have a look at my questions of yesterday Thanks. - SL
Old Aug 2, 2009, 09:28 PM
SCLove

26 posts · Apr 2009
I am sure he's busy and I haven't yet had a response from Flynn to my post of a couple of days ago. Need to set up a Landing Page ASAP and would appreciate it if someone might also advise me.

Part of the confusion is that someone told me that I have to add Atahualpa again in my sub-domain to create a Landing Page. Is this right? I see nothing about this is any other instructions.

Regardless, can I follow the simple "Wordpress for Dummies" instructions using the Default Theme just for the Landing Page while leaving Atahualpa configured as I do for the blog?

Thanks.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 03:43 AM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Copy and paste this into a new, blank text file and save and upload it as landingpage1.php into the Atahualpa directory on your web hosting account

PHP Code:
<?php
/*
Template Name: Landing Page 1
*/
?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" <?php language_attributes(); ?>>
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="<?php bloginfo('html_type'); ?>; charset=<?php bloginfo('charset'); ?>" />
<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=EmulateIE7" />
<?php /* if index.php or another page template (copied from index.php) was not used
(i.e. by a plugin such as WPG2), the global $bfa_ata would be empty */
global $bfa_ata; if ($bfa_ata == "") include_once (TEMPLATEPATH '/functions/bfa_get_options.php'); ?>
<?php 
if ( $bfa_ata['css_external'] == "External" ) { ?>
<link rel="stylesheet" href="<?php echo $bfa_ata['get_option_home']; ?>/?bfa_ata_file=css" type="text/css" />
<?php ?>
<?php 
include (TEMPLATEPATH '/functions/bfa_meta_tags.php'); ?>
<?php 
if ($bfa_ata['favicon_file'] != "") { ?>
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="<?php echo $bfa_ata['template_directory']; ?>/images/favicon/<?php echo $bfa_ata['favicon_file']; ?>" />
<?php ?>
<?php 
if ( is_single() OR is_page() ) { ?>
<link rel="canonical" href="<?php the_permalink(); ?>" />
<?php ?>
<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="<?php bloginfo('name'); ?> RSS Feed" href="<?php bloginfo('rss2_url'); ?>" />
<link rel="alternate" type="application/atom+xml" title="<?php bloginfo('name'); ?> Atom Feed" href="<?php bloginfo('atom_url'); ?>" />
<link rel="pingback" href="<?php bloginfo('pingback_url'); ?>" />
<script type="text/javascript" src="<?php echo $bfa_ata['siteurl']; ?>/wp-includes/js/jquery/jquery.js?ver=1.2.6"></script>
<?php if ( $bfa_ata['javascript_external'] == "External" ) { ?>
<script type="text/javascript" src="<?php echo $bfa_ata['get_option_home']; ?>/?bfa_ata_file=js"></script>
<?php ?>
<?php 
if ( function_exists('wp_list_comments') AND is_singular() 
# AND $bfa_ata['include_wp_comment_reply_js'] == "No" 
) { 

wp_enqueue_script'comment-reply' ); 
?>
<?php wp_head
(); ?>
<?php 
echo ($bfa_ata['html_inserts_header'] != "" apply_filters(widget_text$bfa_ata['html_inserts_header']) : ''); ?>
</head>
<body <?php body_class(); ?><?php echo ($bfa_ata['html_inserts_body_tag'] != "" ' ' apply_filters(widget_text$bfa_ata['html_inserts_body_tag']) : ''); ?>>
<?php echo ($bfa_ata['html_inserts_body_top'] != "" apply_filters(widget_text$bfa_ata['html_inserts_body_top']) : ''); ?>

<div style="margin:50px auto;padding:50px;border:solid 2px #000000;font-size:1em;text-align:center">

<?php if (have_posts()) : ?>

<?php while (have_posts()) : the_post(); ?>

<?php bfa_center_content($bfa_ata['content_inside_loop']); ?>

<?php endwhile; ?>
    <?php else : ?>

<?php bfa_center_content($bfa_ata['content_not_found']); ?>

<?php endif; ?>

</div>

</body>
</html>
After you uploaded landingpage1.php create and write a new page at Site Admin -> Pages -> Add new. A new box that you did not have before will appear in the top right of the page Site Admin -> Pages -> Add new / Edit. Named "Page Templates" or similar. Choose the "Landing Page 1" template there for the new page that you just created.

To edit the style of the landing page, edit this part in landingpage1.php:

margin:50px auto;padding:50px;border:solid 2px #000000;font-size:1em;text-align:center

This is an inline style because it is short and the CSS will only be used for all pages using this particular page template landingpage1.php.

Old Aug 5, 2009, 11:50 AM
SCLove

26 posts · Apr 2009
Flynn:

I am very appreciative of your taking the time to send the HTML and instructions. Thanks very much.

I uploaded the code (wp content/themes/atahualpa), but the new box from which I'd choose the New Template doesn't appear. I created a Draft and saved it and thought I'd then see the new box...??

Sorry to bother you, but what am I missing? Thanks again.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 11:32 AM
SCLove

26 posts · Apr 2009
Hi Flynn: Upgraded and activated the new Theme version and the landing page works perfectly. Thank you so much for all your help! (I will definitely be making a donation.)- SL