Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

Page widget styling problem.

Old Aug 31, 2010, 04:59 PM
Kadin

39 posts · May 2010
I'm trying to get the collapsing pages widget plugin displaying correctly but I keep running into the same issue where the left border for the category link extends all the way to the bottom of the listing. That description is very vague but I can't think of any better way to describe the problem. You can look on www.pvpgamer.com at the menu on the right side named "Game Resources" to see what I'm talking about.

I've noticed that the default page widget displays the borders in the correct manner but if I add a "custom menu" widget it will have the same formatting problems that the collapsing pages plugin is having.

In any case any help would be appreciated as I've been knocking my head against this for about 5 hours now and I'm still clueless as to what the problem is. Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 11:08 PM
Kadin

39 posts · May 2010
I found this post and that cleared things up. Hopefully the new menus will be made compatible in the near future.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 03:49 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Are you useng 3.5.3 and have you applied the bufpgfix's? (go to to 'New Versions' forum)

Last edited by juggledad; Sep 2, 2010 at 05:45 AM.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 01:34 PM
Kadin

39 posts · May 2010
Yes I have applied the fixes. Didn't change the display error.

The only difference I can see is that the page widget uses the <ul class="children"> whereas the collapsing menu plugin and the new menus use <ul class="sub-menu">. As far as I can see that's the only difference.

Edit: The children vs sub-menu class is not the problem. Still trying to figure it out.

Edit, Edit: Found the problem. It's something to do with the "widget widget_nav_menu" class of the <div> tag. The page widget uses the "widget widget_pages" class instead and it doesn't have this problem. Still have no clue how'd I'd go about fixing it or what the offending parameter within the class is.

Last edited by Kadin; Sep 1, 2010 at 02:00 PM.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 02:28 PM
Kadin

39 posts · May 2010
Seems like this guy is having the same problem. Seems like it would be best to slave the new menu classes to that of the page items so everything is uniform when you configure it in ato. Still way too new of a WP feature to be supported. I'm sure it will be in the future.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 05:40 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
I just installed that plugin into 3.5.3 and it works fine for me. If you are having problems, try disabling your other plugins to see if there is a conflict
Old Sep 1, 2010, 08:49 PM
Kadin

39 posts · May 2010
Does not appear to be a plugin conflict. Going to rest all my settings one page at a time, see if I can locate what is throwing it off. Probably just an artifact css setting from an older atahualpa install.

Edit: I exported my settings then went back and reset all Atahualpa options, disabled all plugins, and reapplied the bugfix. However after all that the wordpress custom menu widget was still displaying incorrectly. If that's the case I really have no idea what else it could be, perhaps a host configuration?

In any case I shot you a message with login info if you are intrigued enough to take a look. As always thank you for your effort in this regard.

P.S. When I say that it displays incorrectly I am meaning that it shows up in a format like this:

As opposed to this:

Last edited by Kadin; Sep 1, 2010 at 10:48 PM.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 05:44 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
ok, I'm confused - are you having an issue with the 'collapsing pages' widget or something else?
Old Sep 2, 2010, 09:59 AM
Kadin

39 posts · May 2010
The problem I'm having with the collapsing pages plugin is the same problem I'm experiencing with wordpress 3.0's default "Custom Menu" widget. The custom menu widget works perfectly when it is used with the horizontal menu bar, but when the widget is placed into a sidebar it displays like this:

This is obviously not working as intended. This problem persists even after all plugins are disabled, and all theme settings are reset.

At this point I'd just like to get the "Custom Menu" widget displaying correctly. As I stated above the problem lies in the "widget widget_nav_menu" class. If you replace that class with the "widget widget_pages" it then displays (correctly) like this:

Last edited by Kadin; Sep 2, 2010 at 10:04 AM.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 12:05 PM
Kadin

39 posts · May 2010
After puttering around with this for a few more hours I think I'm beginning to see where the problem lies.
In the custom menu widget the border-left and padding attributes are causing the problem. You can remove the borders completely by sticking this into the CSS insert.

div.widget ul li {
border-left: 0px !important;
padding: 0px !important;}

The border in front of the links in the page menu widget is being styled by the div.widget ul li a tags so the styling is in the <a> tags not the <div> tags. Not sure how to fix this beyond basically copying and pasting the entire css properties for div.widget_pages and pasting it into the css inserts renamed div.widget. I'm sure there is a more elegant solution but I'm a complete newbie to CSS altogether.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 01:38 PM
Kadin

39 posts · May 2010
Ok I just pasted this into the CSS/inserts and it fixed my problems:

div.widget ul li {
border-left: 0px !important;
padding: 0px !important;
}

div.widget ul li a:visited,
div.widget ul li a:active,
div.widget ul li a:link {
border-left: 7px solid #888;
padding: 0px 0px 0px 5px;
}

div.widget ul li a:hover {
color: white;
border-left: 7px solid #FFF;
}

div.widget ul li ul li a:visited,
div.widget ul li ul li a:active,
div.widget ul li ul li a:link {
border-left: 7px solid #666;
}

div.widget ul li ul li a:hover {
}

div.widget ul li ul li ul li a:visited,
div.widget ul li ul li ul lia:active,
div.widget ul li ul li a:link {
border-left: 7px solid #444;
}

div.widget ul li ul li ul li a:hover {
}

I would like to see the ATO -> Style Widgets pick this formatting up in the future tho. Is that on the books?

Last edited by Kadin; Sep 3, 2010 at 01:56 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 11:05 PM
damian

22 posts · Feb 2010
I'm having the same problem you had, Kadin, but your solution didn't work for me (it did nothing). I inserted the code you suggested into the Sidebars & Widgets->Style Widgets>Widget Content Box. Is that right? I'm using WP 3.0.4 and Atahualpa 3.6.1.

Under Widget Content Box, it reads the following:

Quote:
The Widget Content Box is gone since Atahualpa 3.4. for better plugin compatibility. It was a propretiary Atahualpa feature that provided extra styling possibilites but didn't play well with all plugins because some of them rely heavily on widgets having the same structure as in the "Default" theme (which does not have this extra DIV inside each widget). Instead of "div.widget-container" the styles that you put here will be applied on "div.widget ul, div.textwidget". That will cover all text widgets and all widgets that consists of unordered lists, which should be the majority of all widgets. Otherwise look into the source code of a browser rendered page of your site to see which DIV or other HTML element wraps around the body content of the widget that was not covered by this, and add a CSS Insert such as: div.some-class { margin: 10px }.
I don't fully understand what all that means--I'm a true newbie--but is that the reason your solution is no longer working?

Anyone come up with another solution to this annoying problem?

Thanks!
Old Jan 22, 2011, 03:12 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Put the code in CSS inserts