Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Header configuration & styling »

I want (i did) split the center column in two columns and want to fill it

Old Aug 13, 2009, 12:36 PM
Sakshin

66 posts · Aug 2009
Amsterdam, Netherlands
I divided the centercolumn into two colomns, Have a look at http://newspiration.com/news/ of the home page horizontal, on the other pages vertical. I did this by pasting the div structure into the text area.
But now I want to show a different category on each static page, and to make it more complicated, the last post of this specific category should appear (in full) in the left column and the last 4 posts should appear (image exerpts or text exerpts) in the right column. For older posts of that specific category, you should somehow end up in the specific categorie archive.

i used the technic offered here and changed the % to fixed withs.

It all workes fine but now I want to fill the columns with posts.

Any advice is apreciated.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 02:04 PM
Sakshin

66 posts · Aug 2009
Amsterdam, Netherlands
I found a piece of script that might be usefull? http://forum.bytesforall.com/showpos...93&postcount=2 and then maybe add the name of the div where it's suppost to show?

I don't know.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 04:27 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
You should create a new page template for this (covered a couple times on the forum here, or see http://codex.wordpress.org/Pages#Cre...Page_Templates ) with your HTML, then use the code from the thread you posted to hard code specific WP queries into the various sections of your page template.

Create a new page in WP without content, upload the page template to the Atahualpa directory, and on the drop down menu on the top right of Site Admin -> Pages -> Add New / Edit Write Panel choose the new page template as the template for the new page

To create a page template, make a copy of Atahualpa's index.php, and modify if by removing unnecessary things, and by adding your DIV's. On top of the page template add its name as seen on http://codex.wordpress.org/Pages#Cre...Page_Templates
Old Aug 16, 2009, 09:05 AM
Sakshin

66 posts · Aug 2009
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Thanx Flynn, for the help. I've gotten somewhere, but my posts won't show up.
This is what I'm aiming at; http://newspiration.com/news/ and this is what I've created by making a new template; http://newspiration.com/news/test-new-index/ .

and this is the code I've entered into the template; What am I missing?

<?php
/*
Template Name: twocol_h
*/
?>

<?php /* get all options: */
include (TEMPLATEPATH . '/functions/bfa_get_options.php');
get_header(); ?>

<div class="txtboxhome1">

<?php if ( is_page('217') ) { ?>
<?php $my_query = new WP_Query('category_name=news&showposts=1');
while ($my_query->have_posts()) : $my_query->the_post(); ?>

This should display the latest post in category 'news'

<?php endwhile; ?>
<?php } ?>

<?php /* If there are any posts: */
if (have_posts()) : $bfa_ata['postcount'] == 1; /* Postcount needed for option "1 first posts full posts" */ ?>

</div>

<div class="txtboxhome2">

<?php $my_query = new WP_Query('category_name=vip&showposts=1');

This should display an exerpt of 4 lines of the latest post in category 'vip'

<?php endwhile; ?>
<?php } ?>
<br /><br />
<?php $my_query = new WP_Query('category_name=inspiration&showposts=1');

This should display an exerpt of 4 lines of the latest post in category 'inspiration'

<?php endwhile; ?>
<?php } ?>

<?php /* END of: If there are any posts */
else : /* If there are no posts: */ ?>

<?php /* This outputs the "Not Found" content, if neither posts, pages nor attachments are available for the requested page.
This can be edited at Atahualpa Theme Options -> Style & edit the Center column */
bfa_center_content($bfa_ata['content_not_found']); ?>

<?php endif; /* END of: If there are no posts */ ?>

<?php bfa_center_content($bfa_ata['center_content_bottom']); ?>
</div>

<?php get_footer(); ?>

With regards, Sakshin
Old Aug 16, 2009, 10:01 AM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Replace

This should display the latest post in category 'news'

with i.e.

<h3><a href="<?php the_permalink() ?>" rel="bookmark"><?php the_title(); ?></a></h3><?php the_content(); ?>
Old Aug 16, 2009, 05:31 PM
Sakshin

66 posts · Aug 2009
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Yes, you are right. This works. Thanks a lot,

Sakshin.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 07:24 PM
sspeedy

7 posts · Aug 2009
Sakshin,

I'm having a hard time doing a split. Can you expand on "I did this by pasting the div structure into the text area. " I'm assuming you had to create multiple loops... can you also explain how you did that? Thanks.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 01:02 PM
Sakshin

66 posts · Aug 2009
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Well, as I wrote, all I did the first time was paste the <div coll1></div> and <div coll2></div> into the text area of each page and gave CSS style info into the CSS panel from Atahualpa. It looked ok but is not really wordpress. So I went a bit further and made separate template files for different pages ond glued the above div stucture into these files, with the needed database requests in between.

Was this any helpfull?
Old Aug 30, 2009, 01:03 PM
Sakshin

66 posts · Aug 2009
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Here's a full example;

<div class="txtboxarchive1">

<p><h3>This weeks inspiration posts:</h3></p>

<?php if ( is_page('') ) { ?>
<?php $my_query = new WP_Query('category_name=news&showposts=4');
<h3><?php the_title(); ?></h3>
<?php the_excerpt(); ?>
<br></br>

<?php endwhile; ?>
<?php } ?>

<?php /* If there are any posts: */
if (have_posts()) : $bfa_ata['postcount'] == 1; /* Postcount needed for option "1 first posts full posts" */ ?>

<?php if ( is_page('') ) { ?>
<?php $my_query = new WP_Query('category_name=inspiration&showposts=4');

<h3><?php the_title(); ?></h3>
<?php the_content(); ?><br />

<?php endwhile; ?>
<?php } ?>

</div>

<div class="txtbox_small">

<?php get_sidebar(''); ?>

<?php /* END of: If there are any posts */
else : /* If there are no posts: */ ?>

<?php /* This outputs the "Not Found" content, if neither posts, pages nor attachments are available for the requested page.
This can be edited at Atahualpa Theme Options -> Style & edit the Center column */
bfa_center_content($bfa_ata['content_not_found']); ?>

<?php endif; /* END of: If there are no posts */ ?>

</div>

<div class="clear"></div>

<?php get_footer(); ?>