Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages » Comments, trackbacks & pings »

Trackback URL not showing

Old Apr 12, 2009, 08:21 AM
ianuy

14 posts · Apr 2009
Hi,

I used Cpanel's Fantastico De Luxe to install WordPress 2.7.1. So far, so good. Everything is working as expected.

I installed Atahualpa Theme and configured the "Post/Page info items". In my footer, I want to show the TrackBack URL for the post. So I used the prescribed syntax %trackback% but the trackback URL is not being displayed. (It's just blank).

I also tried %trackback-linked('linktext')% but still no go.

Also, if I tried to trackback my post using TT (Trackback Tester), incoming trackback still don't work. However, if I trackback the TT post, it will work. Meaning, outgoing trackback works.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 04:07 AM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
This wasn't working until recently but does in the newest version 3.3.2 http://wordpress.bytesforall.com/?p=70
Old Apr 14, 2009, 04:14 AM
ianuy

14 posts · Apr 2009
Hey Flynn,

Thanks for the reply.

If I need to upgrade, will I mess up my settings? Is there a way to easily backup my settings?

Thanks
Old Apr 14, 2009, 04:20 AM
ianuy

14 posts · Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianuy
Hey Flynn,

Thanks for the reply.

If I need to upgrade, will I mess up my settings? Is there a way to easily backup my settings?

Thanks
Sorry, scratch my question. Read the FAQ page. Thanks!
Old May 20, 2009, 10:02 PM
stefan

1 posts · May 2009
I just installed 3.3.3 because trackbacks were not working for me.

Now %trackback% works, but %trackback-linked('linktext')% still does not. It shows this exact literal rather than replace with a link with the linktext.
Old May 21, 2009, 05:30 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan
I just installed 3.3.3 because trackbacks were not working for me.

Now %trackback% works, but %trackback-linked('linktext')% still does not. It shows this exact literal rather than replace with a link with the linktext.
Thank you for finding this bug. To fix it in 3.3.3 change in functions/bfa_postinfo.php

PHP Code:
if (strpos($postinfo_string,'%trackback-linked%')!==FALSE) { 
to

PHP Code:
if (strpos($postinfo_string,'%trackback-linked(')!==FALSE) { 
Old Jun 7, 2009, 08:20 AM
ldsmedia

69 posts · May 2009
Ohio USA
Send a message via Skype™ to ldsmedia
I got to tell you I feel like an idiot. I have 3.3.3 (I believe) and my trackback urls are not showing either. I did make my selections in the WP admin panel under discussion settings to allow both link notifications from others and notify when I link to others. Is there something more I am supposed to do? I just used the default settings in ATOs. For the most part I believe these settings are what most people would want.

Sorry Flynn, I have no idea where the file is that you are talking about (functions/bfa_postinfo.php). Sometimes us non-techie types just have a hard time following.

If it matters, I am using WP 2.7.1

Thanks for any help. I did search for track backs and trackback in the FAQ section and it came up with nothing.

Last edited by ldsmedia; Jun 7, 2009 at 01:13 PM.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 02:08 PM
fromtheranks

149 posts · Apr 2009
Dev Env't: XP Pro SP3, IIS 5.1, MySQL 5.1, PHP 5.2.x, WP 2.7.1, Atahualpa 3.3.3, IE 7, FF 3.0.x
Idsmedia,
Don't feel bad ... all of us us have or are starting as "newbies". I'm sure some of my questions have some of the "ole pro's" shaking their heads. But. It's part of the fun of exploring and taking on new challenges.

To find bfa_postinfo.php, first find where you installed WordPress. For me, I created a folder called "WP" on my E: but it is often on C:. Some of the rest of the path depends on how you installed it, and what O/S you installed it on. But at some point under your WordPress folder you have a folder called "\wp-content" then under that is "\themes" under that is "\atahualpa333" (or whatever version you are using) and under that is a folder called "\functions". If you are on Linux, the slashes go the other way, i.e. "/" instead of "\".

In the "\functions" folder you will find a file called: bfa_postinfo.php. This is the .php file you need to edit. Personally, I use MS Front Page 2003 to edit these files as it formats the code in such a way that it is easy to read. But Notepad works too. Don't use Word or any other word processor that is going to add formatting info to the file. These are raw, basic text files so you want to keep them that way.

Once you have the file open, do a Find and look for a line that contains "trackback-linked" and matches the rest of the line as noted in the earlier reply -- in my copy there are only three lines containing this search string, and only one line that matches exactly.

What you want to do is replace the "%" at the end -- i.e. %trackback-linked% -- with an "(" -- i.e. %trackback-linked( . Do not add any extra spaces, just replace that one character.

Hope this helps.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 03:02 AM
wildangelone

8 posts · Jun 2009
Netherlands
I use Atahulapa 333 and WordPress 2.7.1, I changed the file in bfa_postinfo.php but the incoming and outgoing trackbacks still don't appear. Can anybody tell me where to find the solution for this problem?
Old Jun 8, 2009, 01:44 PM
ldsmedia

69 posts · May 2009
Ohio USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromtheranks
Idsmedia,
Don't feel bad ... all of us us have or are starting as "newbies". I'm sure some of my questions have some of the "ole pro's" shaking their heads. But. It's part of the fun of exploring and taking on new challenges.

To find bfa_postinfo.php, first find where you installed WordPress. For me, I created a folder called "WP" on my E: but it is often on C:. Some of the rest of the path depends on how you installed it, and what O/S you installed it on. But at some point under your WordPress folder you have a folder called "\wp-content" then under that is "\themes" under that is "\atahualpa333" (or whatever version you are using) and under that is a folder called "\functions". If you are on Linux, the slashes go the other way, i.e. "/" instead of "\".

In the "\functions" folder you will find a file called: bfa_postinfo.php. This is the .php file you need to edit. Personally, I use MS Front Page 2003 to edit these files as it formats the code in such a way that it is easy to read. But Notepad works too. Don't use Word or any other word processor that is going to add formatting info to the file. These are raw, basic text files so you want to keep them that way.

Once you have the file open, do a Find and look for a line that contains "trackback-linked" and matches the rest of the line as noted in the earlier reply -- in my copy there are only three lines containing this search string, and only one line that matches exactly.

What you want to do is replace the "%" at the end -- i.e. %trackback-linked% -- with an "(" -- i.e. %trackback-linked( . Do not add any extra spaces, just replace that one character.

Hope this helps.
Well fromtheranks, It didn't work. However, your instructions were absolutely perfect and easy to follow. I assume you have been around a while since you are a diamond or maybe you just are a generous soul that happens to have some money. I am a generous soul too, but unfortunately I have been on and off unemployment since late 2003. I guess part of the problem is that I am over 50, any how so I supplement with temporary work. This all lead to giving the net a try.

Here is what my code looked like if (strpos($postinfo_string,'%trackback(')!==false) { before any changes. Here is the code changed: if (strpos($postinfo_string,'%trackback-linked(')!==FALSE) {
I uploaded the file via FTP and opened my blog and refreshed, it still didn't show up.

Yeah I am a newbie, but I do not how to use a text editor and I do know how touchy code can be (that's why I don't want to be a coder) I do know about the WP content and themes folder, but I have never opened up functions under a themes folder before. I learn whatever I happen to come across. Never know what's next.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 03:14 PM
fromtheranks

149 posts · Apr 2009
Dev Env't: XP Pro SP3, IIS 5.1, MySQL 5.1, PHP 5.2.x, WP 2.7.1, Atahualpa 3.3.3, IE 7, FF 3.0.x
Idsmedia,

Mmmmm ... from what I can tell in your reply it looks like maybe you fixed the wrong line of code, it appears as if your search landed you on the first "%trackback%" instead of the first "%trackback-linked%".

You need to tweak the line that originally looked like this:
Code:
// Trackback Link
if (strpos($postinfo_string,'%trackback-linked%')!==FALSE) {
To this:
Code:
// Trackback Link
if (strpos($postinfo_string,'%trackback-linked(')!==FALSE) {
Be sure to set the original line of code back to what it was. I am guessing the one you tweaked was this line:
Code:
// Trackback URL 
if (strpos($postinfo_string,'%trackback%(')!==FALSE) {
Hint: whenever I modify a line of code (.php or otherwise) I add a remark with the date and time and why I changed it ... so I can go back and "find and fix" again if I need to.

P.S. I have been "around" for a while -- pounding code and building applications for a couple of decades -- but WP is new to me so I definitely fit (back into) the newbie category.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 10:38 AM
ldsmedia

69 posts · May 2009
Ohio USA
Thanks, newbie mistake. I'll let you know how it works out. I always knew that I was not meant to be a "techie or geek" or whatever you want to call it. There is just to much detail in code and working with it gives me a headache, but sometimes I do it because of self-preservation. You wouldn't believe how many times a paid someone to fix something and they did it with the least amount of effort and created the craziest crappiest code that was difficult to work with or one who just took forever to do the smallest thing. He took the time to "condenee" my css page supposedly for faster loading. The real issue was the bookmarkz's servers are just overloaded.

Any, I am sure juggledad and Flynn appreciate other people helping out once in a while. You are great. You have to point me to some of work sometime.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 11:05 AM
ldsmedia

69 posts · May 2009
Ohio USA
As Robin used to say "Holy Batman". the code line you gave me for trackback link was already correct. Believe it or not, I cannot find the original line for trackback url. Could it have disappeared?

I don't remember doing any deleting. I looked at the same file in my other theme and it looked nothing near Flynn's. Flynn marked each section with a colored header and ## signs. There is one that says Track backs, but I don't know what happened yesterday I could have sworn it said track back url now it says trackback link.

Now you know why I only do this out of pure necessity. Help isn't hard to find but good help still is. There are some arrogant people out there that think they should be paid for their time even though they do not accomplish anything. sorry for them with the new trend of pay for performance.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 11:54 AM
fromtheranks

149 posts · Apr 2009
Hmmmm ... The plot thickens as Sherlock Holmes used to say.

If I understand correctly, it appears that someone else has been editing your .php files for you? In addition to your own efforts? If that's the case that could explain the missing lines ...

I'm taking my hat in my hand by suggesting this solution ... because I'm not sure what has gone on with your files ... so before doing anything else ... make a copy of the current bfa_postinfo.php file in your site's "..\function" folder and set it aside. If something goes BOOM with my proposed solution you'll want that copy to put back.

Then:

If you have your original download version of Atuhualpa 3.3.3 ... (I kept a separate clean, untouched, copy for just such cases where I inadvertently stepped on something I shouldn't have) ... copy the bfa_postinfo.php file from there and replace the current one in your site's "..\function" folder with it.

If you don't have the original version tucked away, then re-download the zip file for 3.3.3 ... into a "Temp" folder ... and extract it into that temp folder. Once you've done that, then do the step above.

If the clean version runs on your site (other than your Trackback URL issue) then go in and make the fix as noted earlier to the "//Trackback Link" line not the "//Trackback URL" line (that one is correct ... in a clean version of the file).

Let me know how it goes.

P.S. I should have the first cut of my first WP site up in couple weeks; I'll be happy to share.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 12:03 PM
fromtheranks

149 posts · Apr 2009
P.S. This fix was assuming that you are using 3.3.3 ... I just scanned back through the thread and noticed in your first reply that you weren't quite sure.

To confirm the version go to: Login (as Admin) --> (admin) Dashboard --> Appearance --> ATO (Athualpa Theme Options). The theme name and version number are right at the top.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 07:30 PM
ldsmedia

69 posts · May 2009
Ohio USA
Okay, I think i put the 333 version in the wrong place and then expected it show up on the top of the page, I just had to scroll down a bit to activate it. I did manage to fix the file and I think trackback urls are showing but they are not what I expected. The problem with searching on the web is that you never know how outdated the info is.

But correct me if I am wrong, the trackbacks are actually the links that show your keywords or categories and those links take your visitor to the page with the track back url showing up in the address bar. You are supposed to copy that correct? I expected it to say track back url, but the web does often assume that you know certain things. Believe it or not someone said buy the book WordPress for Dummies, all of those books are outdated by the time you buy them. Not to mention they can't discuss every theme out there.

Thanks for not only your help, but your patience and kindness. Those qualities make you golden.

Can't wait to see your work.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 09:11 PM
fromtheranks

149 posts · Apr 2009
Yes! I knew you could do it! Good going.

As for trackbacks, the best thing I can do for you is point you to the intial references on trackbacks in the WordPress Codex glossary: http://codex.wordpress.org/Glossary#Trackback. That may help. There is more info on WordPress but to get it from the "horse's mouth" you might check out this when you have some time: http://www.sixapart.com/pronet/docs/trackback_spec

With all of that said (and I am still speaking from in-experience as my first site is not yet up), it almost sounds like you were thinking more along the lines of "tags" not "trackbacks". Tags are the keywords on your site (if you are using them), along with categories too (in a way). Trackbacks simply let you know who is chatting about your blog-site (or a post on it) on some other blog-site. The URL may be "pretty" but it should just be a URL.

As for my help. You are most welcome. Pass it along to someone else when you get a chance.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 08:37 AM
ldsmedia

69 posts · May 2009
Ohio USA
Well I have already visited a few forums and told them how great this theme is when they ask about free themes versus thesis. The biggest benefits from my point of view are the ease of customization and this forum so you can ask questions. People are always impressed when then check out this theme but sometimes also a little scared about something they already know they want to do. I have assured one person about how active this forum is in answering questions. I also suggest that they give at least something to Flynn since this is comparable to the paid theme "Thesis".

I have never checked out Thesis so for all I know this may actually be better than Thesis.

No I was not speaking of tags or categories. I was confused about how you find a track back url. I thought there would actually be text next to the link stating it was a track back url. However, I find that when you click on the tags I used it takes you to the pretty permalink url and I assume that is how people find your track back link.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 08:43 AM
ldsmedia

69 posts · May 2009
Ohio USA
I don't know what is wrong, but every time I want to mark a post as solved I have a hard time finding the link to mark it. I am not sure whether it just doesn't show up sometimes or not. I'll edit this when I check out how to use this forum.

I have found options on this forum that I didn't even initially think about. But I still have no idea of what to type in to find out how to mark a post as solved. Can someone tell me?

Last edited by ldsmedia; Jun 11, 2009 at 08:52 AM. Reason: update search for answer
Old Jun 11, 2009, 09:03 AM
fromtheranks

149 posts · Apr 2009
Idsmedia,

1. I believe that only the originator of the thread, or perhaps a moderator or administrator, can mark a thread as solved.

2. Glad you've sorted out the trackback issue.

3. I spent a lot of time researching themes before deciding on Athualpa, as far as I am concerned it is very "top drawer" and well worth supporting so we keep Flynn and Juggledad "hard at it".

4. When first stepping into WordPress and Themes it can be intimidating ... there are a lot of moving parts to figure out and wire together. Atahualpa goes a long ways towards making the process easier but it still takes some time (the size of the WordPress Codex is a clue as to how many gears there are).

Which is why I've been documenting my learning curve on building a development site on XP Pro with IIS 5.1 and plan on posting them on my site; once it's up. This is one of the reasons why it isn't up yet. I'm currently on TechNote 22 and there are a few more to go.

Happy Blogging!
Old Jun 11, 2009, 10:00 AM
ldsmedia

69 posts · May 2009
Ohio USA
That explains why sometimes I see the solved option. I only see it on threads that I have started.

I am seeing my categories and my tags as links on my posts, but I am still not seeing any track back url. I finally now know what it looks like. That was the whole area of confusion to begin with.

I have checked the appropriate functions code in 333 and it is correct. So it must have been corrected before I downloaded it. Now that I am thinking about it, maybe it's the accidental code change I made before that is the problem. You remember when I changed trackback url rather than trackback link. I'll try that and let you know. Funny how things hit you as you write about them.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 10:18 AM
ldsmedia

69 posts · May 2009
Ohio USA
I have to admit that I take my hat off to anyone who has the patience to do programming. It is so difficult to find such an itty bity mistake that can create havoc. I believe I now have both lines of code fixed and now not only do I not see trackback urls my tags and categories do not show up either.

Flynn please let me know if I accidentally messed up your code and cannot see it? Here is the way it appears.

// Trackback URL
}if (strpos($postinfo_string,'%trackback%(')!==FALSE) {
$postinfo = str_replace("%trackback%", $trackback_url, $postinfo);
trackback link
// Trackback Link
$trackback_url = trackback_url(FALSE);
$trackback_link_text = preg_match("/(.*)%trackback-linked\('(.*?)'(.*)/i",
$postinfo_string,$trackback_matches);
$trackback_link = '<a href="' . $trackback_url . '">' . $trackback_matches[2] . '</a>';
Old Jun 11, 2009, 11:31 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
ldsmedia

the code is messed up and I can't be sure from the snippet if you have something else worng.

Restore bfa_postinfo.php with an original copy (Down load Atahualpa333 to your hard drive and unzip it. The edit bfa_postinfo.php and only change thi line
HTML Code:
// Trackback Link
	if (strpos($postinfo_string,'%trackback-linked%')!==FALSE) {
to
HTML Code:
// Trackback Link
Then upload the file to your host

Last edited by juggledad; Jun 12, 2009 at 03:41 PM.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 11:00 AM
ldsmedia

69 posts · May 2009
Ohio USA
Flynn must have fixed this piece of code in the download area before I downloaded it because it is character for character absolutely correct. I did repeat the download before however, in the process this thread got confusing because I did something incorrectly and didn't immediately realize it.

So the problem still remains: my tags are showing, my categories are showing and my comment link is showing but the trackback url for the blog is not.

There is only one thing that I can imagine and that is that WordPress won't show it to me when I look at my blog or maybe because I haven't created any trackbacks yet. But my understanding of trackback urls is that they should show up underneath or next to the tags so that someone will know which url to use if they want to track back to you.

So can anyone think of a reason why they are not showing up that has to do with some settings. As far as I can tell I have them turned on both in WP and in ATO. confused as ever

Laura
Old Jul 15, 2009, 01:31 PM
conon

21 posts · Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynn
Thank you for finding this bug. To fix it in 3.3.3 change in functions/bfa_postinfo.php

PHP Code:
if (strpos($postinfo_string,'%trackback-linked%')!==FALSE) { 
to

PHP Code:
if (strpos($postinfo_string,'%trackback-linked(')!==FALSE) { 
Does this work with 3.2 too?

Best,
Sebastian