Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

general WP/Atahualpa questions

Old Sep 2, 2010, 04:09 PM
lauras2010

16 posts · Sep 2010
I need to create a three column layout with vertical navigation in the left sidebar (all pages), different right sidebars for different pages, and a customized layout with easily editable content areas in the main content area for the front page.

Typically I would edit the index.php file for the home page, and create different page templates and/or use custom fields for the inner pages. But the Atahualpa settings seem to apply site-wide.

In Atahualpa, it looks like I can handle the front page custom layout in the Style & Edit Center Column options box -- but will this carry over into all pages?

Also, I don't have a sense of how to get the vertical navigation in the left column, or how to have different right column setups for different pages.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
Laura S.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 04:30 PM
lauras2010

16 posts · Sep 2010
Ok, I figured out how to get the vertical navigation in the left sidebar (I used Custom Menus widget), but the child pages don't appear when I click on one of the parent pages. Can you help me figure out how to display the child pages within a section when I am on any of the pages in the section?

Also I see that customizing the layout in the "Style & Edit Center Column" only affects the front page, but I don't really understand why. Can you explain?

Thanks,
Laura

Thanks,
Laura S.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 06:34 AM
lauras2010

16 posts · Sep 2010
I figured out how to get stuff to show up on the home page vs. other pages. Still don't know how to get child pages to appear below the parent pages in the left sidebar nav.

Am I posting this question in the wrong sub-forum? Why hasn't anyone replied? Am I expecting too much out of this theme?

Thanks,
Laura S.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 04:57 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
What version of Atahualpa and WP?
What is the url?
how are you building your menus? using the automatic menu creation or using WP 3.0's new menu structure?
Old Sep 12, 2010, 05:04 AM
lauras2010

16 posts · Sep 2010
I'm using WP3.0.1 and Atahualpa 3.4.9.

URL is http://apicne.org/wordpress

Right now the site is using a "custom menu" I created with the new WP 3.0 menu functionality.

On the site, you can see that all of the page nav items are listed in the left column. This is not what I want. I want my left nav menu to look like this:

=====
Home
About Us
Membership
Conferences
Education
Resources
=====

and when I click on About Us (for example), the subnav menu gets displayed, and the menu should look like this:

=====
Home
About Us
Mission Statement
History
Board of Directors
Contact Us
Membership
Conferences
Education
Resources
=====

(Note that this is NOT a javascript fly-out menu. It's just a nested list.)
(Ideally the submenu would show/hide the links to child pages without reloading the page.)

This seems like it should be fairly straightforward (or maybe not?), but I don't seem to be able to find anyone who can help me do it ... or even point to the correct resources. I keep getting sent to the dropdown-menu-widget plugin, but that only deals with flyout menus.

If you could help me, I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks,
Laura
Old Sep 12, 2010, 05:08 AM
lauras2010

16 posts · Sep 2010
Sorry, some of my formatting got lost. The second list (with the submenu) should look more like:

=====
Home
About Us
- Mission Statement
- History
- Board of Directors
- Contact Us
Membership
Conferences
Education
Resources
=====

i.e., the sub-menu should be indented or different in some way.

Thanks,
Laura
Old Sep 12, 2010, 05:25 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
what plugin/widget are you using?
What happens if you use it in the default theme?
Old Sep 12, 2010, 10:55 AM
lauras2010

16 posts · Sep 2010
I'm not using any nav plugin ... I've just created a "custom menu" under Appearance > Menus, and then moved that Custom Menu widget into the left sidebar.

If I switch to the default theme, then the main navigation shows up in the horizontal nav bar, and when I mouse over one of the top level items, I can see its subnav items there.

In Atahualpa (current theme), *ALL* of the nav items are showing up in the left sidebar (I only want top-level items to show, and subnav items to show once you've clicked on one of the top-level items). Also, each of the nav items has a purple/black rectangle next to it. I've tried messing with the styles quite a bit, but can't find the right style to change.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Laura
Old Sep 12, 2010, 01:17 PM
lauras2010

16 posts · Sep 2010
Sorry, I neglected to say that I would like to get rid of the purple/black rectangles, and re-style the text links (which I would be able to do myself, if I knew the particular class names).
Old Sep 12, 2010, 07:22 PM
lauras2010

16 posts · Sep 2010
I've tried all kinds of combinations ... this is just a small list:

div#nav_menu-3 ul#menu-sidebar ul.submenu li { list-style-type: none; }
.widget .widget_nav_menu div.menu-sidebar-container ul#menu-sidebar .menu ul.submenu li { list-style-type: none; }
.widget_nav_menu ul#menu-sidebar ul.submenu li {
div.menu-sidebar-container ul { list-style-type: none; }
div.menu-sidebar-container ul li { list-style-type: none; }
div.menu-sidebar-container ul.submenu { list-style-type: none; }
div.menu-sidebar-container ul.submenu li { list-style-type: none; }
div.menu-sidebar-container ul#menu-sidebar ul.submenu li { list-style-type: none; }
div.menu-sidebar-container ul#menu-sidebar.menu ul.submenu li { list-style-type: none; }
div.menu-sidebar-container ul#menu-sidebar .menu ul.submenu li { list-style-type: none; }

and so on ...

Thanks,
Laura
Old Sep 12, 2010, 09:18 PM
lauras2010

16 posts · Sep 2010
Ok, I figured out how to get rid of the purple rectangle by setting the left border to 0px in the widgets configuration area. But I would also like to set a style for the sub-menus, and that doesn't seem to be an option in the set of config options. I'm assuming I have to create a new style.

Thanks anyway,
Laura
Old Sep 12, 2010, 09:39 PM
lauras2010

16 posts · Sep 2010
Ok, I figured that out too
Old Sep 22, 2010, 01:18 PM
JaneD

72 posts · Jan 2009
Could you describe what you did to get it to work that way? I would like to do that on my site as well... Thanks.