Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Plugins & Atahualpa »

Simple Facebook Connect - works but doesn't display Facebook avatars

Old Aug 12, 2010, 03:16 AM
grahambae

1 posts · Aug 2010
Wordpress 3.0.1 + Atahualpa 3.4.9

I installed the Simple Facebook Connect plugin and it works quite nicely, except for one thing:

When a user comments on a post, it displays their Gravatar (or Mystery Man if they don't have one) instead of their Facebook profile photo. I dug around looking for an answer, including on these forums, and it seems like it's got something to do with the way Atahualpa fetches a commenter's avatar.

Is anyone able to provide any advice on how I can get the Facebook profile photo to override the default photo?
Old Aug 12, 2010, 04:53 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
I have no idea if this would fix your problem but I would first upgrade to Atahualpa 3.5.3 manually per these instructions.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 04:01 AM
AussiAnni

24 posts · Sep 2010
Adelaide, Australia
I have jusst integrated this plugin today and it works perfectly. Do you see the blue connect with Facebook button on your comment form. This will only be visible if you are logged out of WordPress.

If you don't you need to follow the instructions from the plugin developer for implementing the commenting. They can be found here. Scroll to the bottom of the page to the "Special note about the comments plugin" . Atah must use the old way of calling the commets form as I had to insert these lines of code for it to work.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 03:41 AM
derekwbeck

151 posts · Nov 2010
Thanks for this, it was useful. I needed to add the code you mentioned to get it to work too. By the way, for clarification for future readers, you need to go into WordPress proper: Appearance: Editor: Comments (comments.php) and put the code as described at the link above in the section that begins:

<?php // If User is not logged in: Display the form fields "Name", "Email", "URL"

You can place it before or after the name, email, url boxes.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 03:43 AM
derekwbeck

151 posts · Nov 2010
Oh, and this is necessary to get Simple Twitter Connect to work too... (the one fix above enables both login options)
Old Nov 4, 2010, 09:22 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
I have sent this info to the developer.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 01:02 PM
derekwbeck

151 posts · Nov 2010
thanks sir!
Old Nov 4, 2010, 01:10 PM
derekwbeck

151 posts · Nov 2010
For those interested, I specifically added this code to my comments.php:

Code:
<div class="altcommentlogin" id="comment-user-details"> <!--added for Facebook Connect and Twitter Connect-->
<?php do_action('alt_comment_login'); ?> <!--added for Facebook Connect and Twitter Connect-->

</div><!--added for Facebook Connect and Twitter Connect-->
Note the new style class? I found that the buttons did not appear flush to the left of the name, email, url textboxes when rendered on the page. I also found that the facebook image had an underline appear when my mouse hovered over it (because I have a site-wide style that links underline red when you point to them). Only the facebook image had an underline appear through it (not in it, but through it), while the twitter image did not. This is because, under close inspection, the twitter button is an image, the facebook "image" is really a text link inside a fancy colored box of code.

At any rate, to have control over these, and to locally eliminate the link underline for that button only, I created that new style class, which I put in
ATO>Add HTML/CSS Inserts>CSS Inserts. The code I used is:

Code:
div.altcommentlogin {
margin: 2px;
}
div.altcommentlogin a:hover{ /*special class to stop underlining of links whilst hovering*/
text-decoration: none;
font-style: normal;
}
Finally, I copied and pasted my comments.php into a local computer file for backup.

Last edited by derekwbeck; Nov 4, 2010 at 01:13 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 06:17 PM
derekwbeck

151 posts · Nov 2010
out of date thread...