Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

Right sidebar won't allow widgets to be added

Old Jun 6, 2010, 10:30 AM
Kudzu

43 posts · Nov 2009
Tennessee
I can easily add more widgets to the left column but the right column won't allow widgets to be dragged to it. I thought maybe there was a max amount I could add (I had 3) so I dragged a widget off the right column to make room for a different widget. Now, I have 2, and it won't allow me to even add the one back that I dragged off.

Any one know of a fix for this?
Old Jun 6, 2010, 10:57 AM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
Which versions of WP and the theme? Try disabling all of your plugins, then try adding a widget. Also try switching to the default theme and see if that helps, but often this kind of thing is due to a hinky plugin.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 11:24 AM
Kudzu

43 posts · Nov 2009
Tennessee
I'm using WordPress MU 2.9.2 and Atahualpa 3.4.6. I'll try disabling the plugins as you suggested. Thanks for your reply.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 12:15 PM
Kudzu

43 posts · Nov 2009
Tennessee
No solution yet. I'll try uploading the theme files again.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 12:47 PM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Disabling plugins didn't help? Was it working before? What had changed?

Are you sure your right sidebar is enabled?
Old Jun 6, 2010, 02:20 PM
Kudzu

43 posts · Nov 2009
Tennessee
The only thing that changed was I did an automatic update to existing plugins that were on my site. In a couple of them, I saw an error that said something like the header info was already being used. I don't remember the exact message, but the plugin still continued its update and it reactivated itself.

In my theme page (index.php) I inserted the following line, which is on line 1:

php include("http://kudzujungle.com/site/main-header.php");

The reason I did that was because I wanted my own header and graphics to be used time, then called into each sub blog no matter how many instances of atahualpa I use.

I disabled all the plugins, but that didn't work.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 02:41 PM
Kudzu

43 posts · Nov 2009
Tennessee
Now it is letting me add widgets to the right column, but I haven't done anything to know what I did to make the problem go away. I was writing down the configuration settings before I uploaded the files again, but thought I would try dragging a widget again before doing that.

It allowed widget, but none of my plugins were activated, and the theme defaulted back to whatever widgets comes activated with the theme.

Now I noticed the center column doesn't stretch all the way across to the right column.

I'm adding the plugins back one by one to see if I can narrow down the one that isn't compatible with this theme. I had collapsing links and a text box on the right.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 02:49 PM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
I'll bet your right inner sidebar is enabled.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 03:15 PM
Kudzu

43 posts · Nov 2009
Tennessee
LOL...I'll bet you're right. I turned that on to see if I could add a widget to it, and it wouldn't let me. Now I know how you get 3 or 4 columns out of this theme.

Thanks again!
Old Jun 6, 2010, 03:58 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
check your version of php, some hosts (like godaddy was and may still) default to php 4 which causes problems - they have a faq on setting the default to php5. Php4 causes all sorts of greif with the later versions of WP

Another issue can be how much php memory you are trying to use vrs allowed to use (host limits)
Old Jun 6, 2010, 06:13 PM
Kudzu

43 posts · Nov 2009
Tennessee
I'm using HostGator with php 5.2.4, but not sure how to find out how much memory is used.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 06:46 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
could you send me a pm with a admin id and PW so I could take a look at the site? I'd check it first thing tomorrow.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 08:59 PM
Kudzu

43 posts · Nov 2009
Tennessee
Do you mean to Kudzu Jungle or to Hostgator?
Old Jun 7, 2010, 04:07 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
To the wordpress site
Old Jun 7, 2010, 01:54 PM
Kudzu

43 posts · Nov 2009
Tennessee
Okay juggledad...done.

It's back to not working. I installed the Wizzart comments plugin, to replace the current comment plugin on the right column. The theme doesn't allow me to drag any widgets to the right column again. So, it seems to be happening when I install plugins, even though they don't get activated. Though, I did activate the Wizzart one and tried to drag it. See if it lets you drag it to the right column.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 02:56 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
ok, I can't drag eithor, but it ou go to screen options and clicking the 'Enable accessibility mode' you can add widgets in (see the last one on teh right sidebar - it a text widget saying 'thisis a test')

If disabling plugins gets it to work, then I would suspect this is a php memory issue. You might ask Hiostgator to up it for you.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 03:57 PM
Kudzu

43 posts · Nov 2009
Tennessee
Host Gator said the max memory on a shared server is 64MB, and that if I need more than that, I have to upgrade.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 06:12 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
try adding the 'wp-memory-usage' plugin and see how much memory is being used
Old Jun 7, 2010, 09:09 PM
Kudzu

43 posts · Nov 2009
Tennessee
PHP Version : 5.2.13 / 32Bit OS
Memory limit : 64 MByte
Memory usage : 16.39 MByte

I have other WPMU blogs running under the same account, all using the same theme.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 09:41 AM
mhone

5 posts · Jun 2010
Hello,

I have the same problem, I can't add any widget on my right column, I have tried removing all my plugins (I have added quite a few recently) and I can't even add a text widget on the right column.

So I don't think it's a memory issue.
Kudzu, did you find a solution in the end?

Thanks for helping me.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 09:54 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
mhome,
what version of Atahualpa ande wp?
What is the url?
try swapping to the default theme and seeing if you can add widgets
who is your host?
Old Jun 13, 2010, 06:13 PM
mhone

5 posts · Jun 2010
Hello,

I have just updated to version 351 (I had 346) and now my widgets are back! I had swapped to the default theme but nothing had changed, so only with the upsdating to most recent theme version worked, I guess others should do the same.

Thank you!
Teresa