Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Plugins & Atahualpa »

BuddyPress Single User Version

Old Mar 2, 2010, 11:04 AM
tinroofrusted

4 posts · Feb 2010
Hi All,

BuddyPress was formerly only available for WPMU (multi-user version of Wordpress). They just announced a version that works with the normal version of Wordpress. See the post here.

I tried loading BuddyPress on my Atahualpa themed site and it totally broke the page menus. It seems that BuddyPress menus appear exactly where the Atahualpa page menus appear. So my question for you all is "Has anyone figured out how to make BuddyPress work with Atahualpa?

Thanks.

Tin Roof

UPDATE: I did figure out how to get the Buddypress menus to co-exist with the Atahualpa page menu. Here is what I did: In the Atahualpa theme options page, go to the "Style and Edit Header" menu option, then under "Configure Header Area" make sure the menus come after the logo, etc. So you will replace the default (which is "%pages %logo %bar1 %image %bar2") with this: "%logo %pages %image". (Leave out the quotes.) You can also use the %bar1 and %bar2 if you want to. But have the logo first.

Next, go down to "Logo Area: Styling", and add this: "margin-top: 20px" That is going to add a bit of space above the logo, sufficient to contain the Buddypress menu.

That's it! I ended up not using Buddypress for other reasons, but with those changes, the Buddypress menus do seem to fit OK, and can peacefully co-exist with the Atahualpa menus.

Three cheers for Atahualpa, a totally awesome theme!

Last edited by tinroofrusted; Apr 24, 2010 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Update to resolved problem.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 06:21 PM
WebWeaver

28 posts · May 2009
Nevada City, CA
Send a message via Skype™ to WebWeaver
I got BuddyPress working on my site today: http://catswebweave.com. My problem is that after I installed BuddyPress, I upgraded Athualpa automatically and doing THAT broke my site. I had to revert back to 3.4.2 and now I'm scared to upgrade to the latest version!

But it works right now and all my content is intact. I installed the BuddyPress Template Pack to be able to keep using the Atahualpa Theme. Click "upgrade my current theme" in the "Buddy Press is ready" area message to be taken to the Template Pack Plugin install procedue.

Good luck!

-Web Weaver
Old Mar 9, 2010, 08:49 PM
Rashell

67 posts · May 2009
Anyone happen to know how to add the ATA sidebars to the BP generated pages?

Thanks much,

Rashell
Old Mar 14, 2010, 10:41 PM
Eric Bobrow

70 posts · Jan 2009
Rashell -

I saw you created a separate thread for this question about BuddyPress on this Atahualpa forum page:
http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=6253

Since you resolved your own questions, the thread was closed.
(By the way, your explanation was much appreciated - it looks like BuddyPress is functional and the sidebars show properly from my original Atahualpa setup.)

However, I'd like to ask how to get the extra navigation links that BuddyPress needs into the Atahualpa Page menu. The BuddyPress Compatibility page suggests:

Quote:
Navigation Links

You may want to add new navigation tabs or links to your theme to link to BuddyPress directory pages. The default set of links are:

Activity: http://www.gureasko.com/activity/
Members: http://www.gureasko.com/members/
Groups: http://www.gureasko.com/groups/
Forums: http://www.gureasko.com/forums/
Register: http://www.gureasko.com/register/ (registration must be enabled)
I recall a thread somewhere on this forum that described how to add one's own links to the Page menu, by editing the header-config file (or something similar). Is that the best way to do this?

Last edited by Eric Bobrow; Mar 14, 2010 at 10:45 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 07:11 PM
Rashell

67 posts · May 2009
Hi Eric,

Not quite sure how to do that.

I've always swapped out the normal ATA menus by using the plugin Menubar. It allows you to add whatever links you want (including external, tag, page & category combined on one menu) wherever you want. And gives you the ability to create as many menus as you'd like.

Sorry couldn't be of greater help.

Rashell
Old Mar 15, 2010, 07:36 PM
WebWeaver

28 posts · May 2009
Nevada City, CA
Send a message via Skype™ to WebWeaver
I would imagine then that when you update Atahualpa, you would need to make sure you have your custom menubar-related .php files backed up and place those in the new Atahualpa folder before you activate the new theme version to keep everything intact.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 07:15 AM
Rashell

67 posts · May 2009
with Menubar the plugin itself keeps the order of the menus in its own admin section. You just add the <?php menubar-name ?> snippet wherever you'd like it to appear from within the ATA Admin section. If in a sidebar use a php/text widget. You could add it directly to the backend php files but there's really no need.

Rashell

Last edited by Rashell; Mar 16, 2010 at 07:38 AM.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 12:03 PM
Eric Bobrow

70 posts · Jan 2009
Rashell -

Thanks for the info about Menubar. It was easy to install, and for the simple site layout I'm dealing with, it worked very quickly.

The main limitation (as far as I'm concerned) is that it doesn't appear to do anything automatically. When you add pages to your site, you will have to add them to Menubar manually. In Atahualpa, or WP in general, new pages immediately show up in your Page Menu (unless you use a feature to hide them). Thus, for a complex site, it will be extra work to maintain - not a deal-breaker, but certainly something to be aware of.

Also, I tried out various CSS stylings from their template pack, and found something nice enough for this new site, but I'm not sure how easy it will be to match the original Atahualpa look. Perhaps it's not hard, but I haven't tried it - I just swapped in different ones from their templates as a quick review until I found something I could live with.

In response to Webweaver, yes - you will need to copy the Menubar php files again whenever you update Atahualpa, since the install process involves placing them manually into the Atahualpa folder. I always update Atahualpa by creating a new folder, then switching themes in the WP control area; that way I can switch back if there's a problem, and also I can always go back to the earlier folder and copy things that I might have forgotten to move over (such as my header graphics).
Old Mar 16, 2010, 01:30 PM
Rashell

67 posts · May 2009
Eric,

I'm not sure if it's available for all the templates but there is an option called "page tree" that will automatically add new pages and subpages as they're created.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean about having to copy the menubar php files when you upgrade ATA. I kept all my files for menubar in the plugins folder and it works fine from there. If they were supposed to be moved to the ATA template folder, ...I just didn't follow the instructions very well.

Rashell

Last edited by Rashell; Mar 16, 2010 at 01:32 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 02:07 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
When you mentioned that Page Tree option I immediately tested it. Unfortunately the Page tree just adds a menu item for a page and it's subpages so if you add a subpage it will automatically show up but it won't dynamically change the menu which is why I continue to use the Atahualpa menu. Bummer
Old Mar 16, 2010, 03:11 PM
Rashell

67 posts · May 2009
you know Larry, you're totally correct. You have to choose a page for the top level menu item then it's subpages are automatically listed.

Sorry for being daft everyone,

Rashell