I missed a step somewhere. I installed sociable 3.5.2 and used the ATA recommended settings and
1) not sure where the icon(s) are supposed to show (if you uncheck all of the 'position' boxes) and
2) not sure where code is supposed to be changed (if at all).
ATA Recommended settings:
%sociable% - Displays little icons, linking the post to social bookmark sites. Requires the plugin Sociable. Customize the output at the Sociable Options Page.
* "Tagline:" - Will be ignored
* "Position:" - Uncheck all boxes
* "Use CSS:" - Uncheck this
* "Open in new window:" - Check or uncheck, will be used
* Click "Save Changes"