Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages »

[SOLVED] Hide certain categories from main page?

Old Dec 23, 2009, 12:00 PM
bobdobolina

2 posts · May 2009
I'd like to be able to exclude posts of a certain category from being displayed on the main page.

I'm trying to find a way to do this with plugins, to no avail (there are many options, but none so far I can find that work with Wordpress 2.9).

I use Atahualpa (old version - 3.2 - but am willing to upgrade if necessary) and was hoping there was an "easy" way to do it. I see it can exclude categories from showing on the category list... but is there any way to have it exclude all posts of a given category from the main page?

thanks!
Old Dec 23, 2009, 02:40 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Don't worry whether is says "compatible up to WordPress 2.9" in the repository. Many of the older plugins work just fine. Worst case is you have to ftp to the site and delete the plugin.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 05:49 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Well if you were on 3.4.4 you could wrap the code in 'The LOOP' option with some php code like
<?php if (is_front_page()) and (!in_category(xx')) { ?>
<?php } ?>
where you would put the category id in-place of the xx
Old Dec 24, 2009, 07:10 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
A plugin you could try is Frontpage Manager. It let's you choose which categories to show on the front page along with how many paragraphs, characters, or words to show.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 04:03 AM
shus

38 posts · Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggledad
Well if you were on 3.4.4 you could wrap the code in 'The LOOP' option with some php code like
<?php if (is_front_page()) and (!in_category(xx')) { ?>
<?php } ?>
where you would put the category id in-place of the xx
What must I write inside if I want to display static page instead list of posts?

By the way, Frontpage Manager doesn't support this possibility.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 04:23 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
shus what do you mean by a 'static pages'?

What is displayed as your landing page (ie your blog or some other page) is controled by WordPress (see dashboard->settings->general)
Old Dec 28, 2009, 04:39 AM
shus

38 posts · Dec 2009
Sorry, may be I have written not exactly.

When I click name of first level category at the sidebar I woud like see not list of posts, but certain page (wich I may edit at dashboard->pages).

webshus.ru
Old Dec 28, 2009, 04:50 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
If you are using the 'category' plugin, it is designed to display all the posts that are in that category. If you want to display pages, use the 'pages' plugin.

Plugins are not part of Atahualpa - Atahualpa is a theme that helps you in the look of your website. It sounds like you are new to wordpress, so I suggest you visit http://codex.wordpress.org/New_To_Wo...Where_to_Start and do some reading.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 05:03 AM
shus

38 posts · Dec 2009
I try to find suitable plugin and tested some of them.

Usually they can regulate number of posts at the front page, but can't put page instead list of posts.
And FrontPage Manager too.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 12:44 PM
bobdobolina

2 posts · May 2009
Frontpage Manager was exactly what I needed; thanks much!
Old Dec 28, 2009, 12:57 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Be aware that one person on this forum had a problem with Frontpage Manager and WP 2.9 so a new update for FPM may be in the works.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 02:43 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
I checked my site that had Front Page Manager installed and saw no issues with WP 2.9.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 01:39 PM
studioelle

40 posts · Mar 2010
Alabama, USA
None of these solutions worked for me on Wordpress 3/Atahualpa 3.5.3. So, I found my own solution. In case I'm not the only one with this issue, I posted my solution on another thread here.