Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Header configuration & styling »

[SOLVED] Explorer problems; can't find the code errors

Old Dec 13, 2009, 07:26 AM
snphillips

5 posts · Dec 2009
Brooklyn, NY
A site that I created has many errors when viewed with Internet Explorer:

http://www.trendnu.se

After scouring the forum it appears as if most errors result from minor code errors.
I ran the site through http://validator.w3.org and found 9 errors. Now I need to figure out where in the theme files to look to find the problem code so I fix the errors.

For instance, the Validator told me that I have an error on Line 145, so now I'd like to find this bit of code to fix it. In this case it is a header problem. I searched in many of the theme files but cannot find the code in question.

# Error Line 145, Column 88: end tag for "tr" which is not finished

…"0" border="0" width="100%"><tr></tr></table> <div class="horbar1">&nbsp;</di

Most likely, you nested tags and closed them in the wrong order. For example <p><em>...</p> is not acceptable, as <em> must be closed before <p>. Acceptable nesting is: <p><em>...</em></p>

Another possibility is that you used an element which requires a child element that you did not include. Hence the parent element is "not finished", not complete. For instance, in HTML the <head> element must contain a <title> child element, lists (ul, ol, dl) require list items (li, or dt, dd), and so on.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 09:24 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
1) What version of Atahualpa and WP?
2) What is the content of your post displayed via teh HTML editor

It looks to me like your page has some HTML errors that is messing up the rest o the page. See if there is a </p> at the very beginning

If you look at the generated source of the page and cop it into a text editor, you will see the line numbers that are being refered to.

Last edited by juggledad; Dec 13, 2009 at 09:34 AM.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 12:48 PM
snphillips

5 posts · Dec 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Thank you Juggledad

Apahualpa:3.4.4
Wordpress:2.8.6

Yes, I know from using the validator that I have 9 errors, and I know exactly where they are as the site reads. What I need to figure out is where each mistake is on each file so that I can root them out to fix them one by one. For instance, do I look in header.php, index.php?
Old Dec 13, 2009, 01:00 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
The errors are in your post, not any of the files.

Go to your page and edit the page using the HTML editor. Look for a </p> right at the beginning
Atahualpa generates the <div class="post-bodycopy clearfix"> and then your post is displayed.

To verify this, edit the page and put 'DEBUG' as teh very first characters on the page and then view the generated source of the page again. You should see
<div class="post-bodycopy clearfix">DEBUG</p>
Old Dec 13, 2009, 02:22 PM
snphillips

5 posts · Dec 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Thank you Juggledad.
There was a </p> at the very end of one of my pages. Once I removed it The Markup Validation Service is now telling me that 8 of my 9 errors have disappeared. Success!

The remaining error is on line 145, which is in the header section (I've pasted it below). This is the error I've been trying to fix because it was first on the list. Where would I fix this one?

Code:
#  <!-- Header -->
# <td id="header" colspan="3">
#
# <table id="logoarea" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"><tr></tr></table> <div class="horbar1">&nbsp;</div> <div id="imagecontainer" class="header-image-container" style="background: url('http://www.trendnu.se/wp-content/themes/atahualpa/images/header/header.jpg') top center no-repeat;"><div class="clickable">
# <a class="divclick" title="trendnu.se" href ="http://www.trendnu.se/">&nbsp;</a></div></div> <div id="menu1"><ul id="rmenu2" class="clearfix rMenu-hor rMenu">
# <li class="page_item page-item-18"><a href="http://www.trendnu.se/?page_id=18">Kontakt + Om trendnu + Köpinformation</a></li>
# </ul></div>
# <div class="horbar2">&nbsp;</div>
# </td>
# <!-- / Header -->
Old Dec 13, 2009, 05:13 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
This is reporting a false error. It is reporting that <tr></tr> is invalid, that is a table row with nothing in it. I beleive this is because you have %logo in the ATO->Style & edit HEADER AREA->Configure Header Area but your not using a logo. Just remove the %logo
Old Dec 14, 2009, 12:44 PM
snphillips

5 posts · Dec 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Thank you Juggledad.
Yes, removing %logo did prompt a clean report from the validation service.

My site still looks different in Explorer but now I can bark up an other tree to figure out what is wrong.