Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Header configuration & styling »

Make specific blog posts with smaller sidebars, leaving main posts intact.

Old Oct 15, 2009, 06:34 AM
Chrism

2 posts · Oct 2009
Hi, I've been reading threads on making alternate templates for pages on atahualpha, but I can't seem to find how to do something similar but with posts. I'd really appreciate it if someone could help.

I want most of my normal blog posts with sidebars of a certain width which is normal.

Every now and then I want to do a post that does not contain those sidebars (or has much smaller sidebars) which will allow for when I use very wide images in a post which would otherwise overstretch the sidebars

I can manipluate normal html and php for basic websites in which I would simply use another dreamweaver template, but am not sure how to create another POST template or how to implement it in Atahualpha.

Can anyone give a bit of a walkthrough on how to do this. I'd be really grateful. If this is not possible, then instructions on exactly how to do it with pages will also help.

Thanks
Old Oct 15, 2009, 07:07 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
I'm not sure if this is doable. Atahualpa treats the page as a big table with three rows:
HEADER
MIDDLE and the
FOOTER

The Middle row has one to five columns depending on the number of sidebars you are using:
LEFT - LEFT INNER - CENTER - RIGHT INNER - RIGHT

each of these is a cell in the table

the CENTER is built with the maximum number of posts. (this generally determines the height of the row,unless one of the sidebars has a bunch of widgets and they take more space than the center)

The width of the sidebars can be set, but there's no way I can see that you could make an area of it smaller since each sidebar is actually a table cell

hope this explains it and helps
Old Oct 15, 2009, 07:09 AM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
First of all, you can create specialized templates for post categories as well as pages. You just have to put a special name for it at the top of the file. I copied the index.php file from Atahualpa, put in the custom code I wanted, and put this at the top:
Code:
<?php
/*
Template Name Posts: My Teen Health Template
*/
?>
Then I named the file my-teen-health-template.php and uploaded it to the Atahualpa theme folder.

But your sidebar question is another matter. In the theme options/configure sidebars area, you can have the various sidebars show up or not on certain pages or categories. For your situation, I guess you could create a new category for the post you're talking about, and untick its box for all or certain of the sidebar types. If you want smaller sidebars, use the inner ones.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 05:22 PM
Chrism

2 posts · Oct 2009
Thanks a lot for your replies.

I will see if I can use a new catagory temeplate to work round it.

Cheers