Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Header configuration & styling »

[SOLVED] remove header from frontpage (static page)

Old Aug 13, 2009, 07:36 AM
marec

2 posts · Aug 2009
Atahualpa 3.4.2
My frontpage is static page. I need to remove header of this static page, in other words I need to remove this block <div class="post-headline"> from frontpage. Probably I have to edit bfa_header_config.php, but what exactly should be changed?

Although Atahualpa already has a lot of settings, but I think it would be a good idea to add the ability to remove frontpage header and remove home button through theme options in admin panel, as is done in some other wp themes.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 08:46 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Try this CSS Insert
HTML Code:
body.home div.post-headline {
display: none; 
}
Old Aug 13, 2009, 10:03 AM
marec

2 posts · Aug 2009
it's not the solution, i need to exactly remove this header from my frontpage, not hide
Old Sep 26, 2010, 05:02 PM
stephlynnmor311

3 posts · Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggledad
Try this CSS Insert
HTML Code:
body.home div.post-headline {
display: none; 
}
Thank you for the tip. What about removing the headline on all other pages without removing it from the blog post?

Thanks!
Steph
Old Sep 26, 2010, 06:29 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by marec
it's not the solution, i need to exactly remove this header from my frontpage, not hide
What's the difference?
Old Sep 26, 2010, 06:33 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephlynnmor311
Thank you for the tip. What about removing the headline on all other pages without removing it from the blog post?

Thanks!
Steph
In Atahualpa 3.5.3 there is a way to enable the ability of not showing the title on any page or post you want. In ATO>Configure SEO you turn on Use Post/Page Options. Now when you create a post or page there is a new area with a box you can check to not display the title.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 09:18 PM
stephlynnmor311

3 posts · Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmilesw
In Atahualpa 3.5.3 there is a way to enable the ability of not showing the title on any page or post you want. In ATO>Configure SEO you turn on Use Post/Page Options. Now when you create a post or page there is a new area with a box you can check to not display the title.
That sounds like a great solution... one thing... I'm using 3.4.9. Is there a way to do it in this version? Or where can I find information on doing an update? (something with a step-by-step would be great!). Thank you for the quick response!
Old Sep 27, 2010, 09:44 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Here are the instructions for updating. It is best to use the manual update method.

To "fix" this in 3.4.9 you would probably have to use a combination of display:none and selectors for specific pages which would be a pain. There may be a plugin to accomplish this as well.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 08:47 PM
stephlynnmor311

3 posts · Sep 2010
Thank you Larry, I updated the theme and it went very good, no problems! The option for the header was exactly how you said and it worked great. Thank you for your help!

Steph
Old Mar 18, 2011, 08:38 AM
bluesboy

7 posts · Feb 2011
I too would like to be able to remove the header div. The difference between removing it and hiding it or choosing not to display it is that when hidden it's still creating white space at the top of the content area? This means that my static home page contents (where I've removed the title) begins several pixels below all the other pages and this creates a 'jump' when flicking through the pages.

On a similar note, after choosing not to display the post title, I notice that aligned-right images don't quite align to the top of the body type? I've removed all image border info - is there some other hidden padding pushing the image down slightly below the top of the body text?
Old Mar 18, 2011, 09:08 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
On a page where I have checked box in the Atahualpa Page options to NOT display the Body Title on Single Post or Static Pages the space taken up by the title is removed. Is that what you are doing?
Old Mar 18, 2011, 09:10 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
the only way to do that would be to edit bfa_header_config and add something like
HTML Code:
if (is_home() ) return;
as the first line of the function. You would set the conditional to what ever you want. If you never want the header then you would just code the 'return;'
Old Jun 5, 2011, 10:17 AM
kristal

32 posts · Feb 2010
I also would like to remove the title from my home page. I tried using the css insert, and I also tried turning on the Use Post/Page Options and checked to not display the title on my page. They both worked, but left a space/padding where the title used to be.

I'm not sure I understand your last suggestion 'juggledad'. I tried adding that code to the bfa_header_config, but it didn't do anything.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 01:39 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Just checking the box should do the trick. Do you have a link to your site. If your recently updated to 3.6.7 did you apply the three bug fixes listed in New Versions and Updating?
Old Jun 5, 2011, 01:55 PM
kristal

32 posts · Feb 2010
Yeah, I have the updated version with the bug fixes. Like I said, those options worked, but it left a huge space where the title was.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 02:39 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Are you saying there is NO difference in the space at the top of a page when you check to not display a title? If should reduce it by the size of the title but will not take out padding that is set in ATO>Style Posts & Pages>Post Container box for example.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 07:10 PM
kristal

32 posts · Feb 2010
When I remove the title on my home page, then compare that page to the rest of my pages with titles, the text baseline starts lower on the home page than it does on the other pages where the title baseline is. See here: http://www.twiddlelee.com/ Compare the home and about pages. The about title starts up higher than the text on my home page.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 08:27 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
That is because there is padding built into the page independent of the title. One thing that makes that more noticeable in your case is the presence of the horbar1 (%bar1). I would first take that out and see what you think if if that doesn't look right for you then you could add the following to ATO>Add HTML/CSS Inserts>CSS Inserts to get reid of the padding on the home page.
HTML Code:
body.page-id-1001 td#middle {
    padding-top: 0;
}
Old Jun 6, 2011, 06:32 AM
kristal

32 posts · Feb 2010
Yeah I added in the bar padding because it seemed like it needed some space on the blog pages. The css addition you provided worked great, thank you!!