Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Header configuration & styling »

[SOLVED] Transparent header turns solid white upon scrolling

Old Jan 13, 2018, 08:06 AM
rominjn

22 posts · Jan 2018
Hi Atahualpa community,

I need help on something that I haven't found the solution to. I have a header that includes a logo and a menu bar and is fixed in its position at the top. I would like the header to be transparent when I'm at the very top of the page so that the beautiful background image can show through, but turn solid white upon scrolling. I can't figure out what CSS code I should insert in order to accomplish this. Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Daniel
Old Jan 14, 2018, 04:07 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Can you provide the URL of the site?

To change the property of the image 'on the fly' you are going to need a script to do it. You might want to look at the Jscript tutorials at https://www.w3schools.com/js/default.asp

Last edited by juggledad; Jan 14, 2018 at 04:11 AM.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 10:42 AM
rominjn

22 posts · Jan 2018
It's test.dlimconsulting.com.

It's a draft website in progress.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 02:16 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Why don't you change the image by adding the whitespace to the top of it. Then make the logo/menu bar have a transparent background.

That way, when you scroll, the white - which is part of the image - will scroll up and the image will show thru the logo/menu.

of course since threr is text scrolling wth the image. that will show behind the logo/menu when it scrolls far enough...
Old Jan 16, 2018, 02:28 PM
rominjn

22 posts · Jan 2018
That would actually do the opposite of what I want. I want the header to be transparent when the page is at the very top and then turn white when I'm scrolling. I hope this makes sense.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 06:34 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Ok, this isn't really an Atahualpa question, but a javascript question because you will need a javascript to do what you want. ut being intrigued, I thought I'd do some searching and see what I could find.

So I did a little googling and looked at w3schols.com and came up with this that would solve the case I first assumd it would be. This should be added to ATO->Add HTML/CSS Inserts->HTML Inserts: Body Bottom
HTML Code:
<script>
onscroll = function() {myFunction()};

function myFunction() {
	document.getElementById("header").style.backgroundColor = "transparent";}
</script>
but you will have to do it a bit differently because you need to change the header to transparent to start and then change the color here. And you may have more to do, but I'll let you play with it and see where you get.

Feel free to ask for hints if you get stuck.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 07:52 AM
rominjn

22 posts · Jan 2018
Okay thanks. As I was trying out the javascript you shared, my first obstacle seems to be that the menu bar cannot have a transparent background. So I'll have to figure out how to fix that first.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 08:22 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
hint: CSS inserts override what the theme options do....
Old Jan 17, 2018, 09:52 AM
rominjn

22 posts · Jan 2018
Haha I know. I tried but adding this code in the HTML/CSS Inserts and it did not work.

Code:
#menu1 {
background: rgba(200, 200, 200, 0.0);
}
This was meant to make the menu background completely transparent, but it did not work.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 10:28 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
that would work if that was the correct element. Try:
HTML Code:
div#menu1 ul.rMenu {background-color: transparent;}
Old Jan 17, 2018, 10:40 AM
rominjn

22 posts · Jan 2018
That did work to make the menu bar transparent, but the individual menu items still have a white background. You can look at the website to see what it currently looks like.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 10:44 AM
rominjn

22 posts · Jan 2018
Using what I know about using CSS to modify lists, I added this but still no luck.

Code:
div#menu1 li {
background-color: transparent;
}
Old Jan 17, 2018, 11:03 AM
rominjn

22 posts · Jan 2018
NVM. I figured it out. This is the correct code to make the menu items transparent as well.

Code:
div#menu1 ul.rMenu li {
    background: rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.0);
}
I will now try the javascript code and see how it goes.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 01:28 PM
rominjn

22 posts · Jan 2018
I tried the javascript and it works, but once the header turns white upon scrolling, it stays white even when I return to the top of the page. I'm missing a step in the script that tells it to go back to transparent when I'm at the very top. Your help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 01:36 PM
rominjn

22 posts · Jan 2018
If possible, I would like the transition from transparent to white and back to transparent be on a gradient rather than abrupt, if that makes sense.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 02:05 PM
rominjn

22 posts · Jan 2018
I used a different jscript and it seemed to do the trick. I didn't get the gradient transition I was looking for, but it's a minor detail at this point.

Code:
<script>
$(window).on("scroll", function(){
        if($(window).scrollTop() > 0){
        $("#header").css("background", "rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.9)");
        }
        else if($(window).scrollTop() == 0){
        $("#header").css("background-color", "transparent");
        }
    });
</script>
Old Jan 17, 2018, 04:30 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
I'm not seeing it on the site, you should disable your caching plugin when doing Development so you can see the changes as you make them.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 10:31 AM
rominjn

22 posts · Jan 2018
Wow I did not know a cache plugin existed. I disabled and deleted them. Hopefully you can see it now.

I also figured out the gradient transition detail I wanted.

Thanks for your help by the way.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 02:01 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Glad I could help you learn something (grin)