Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » New Versions, & Updating »

Before upgrading shall I first backup

Old Jun 16, 2017, 05:37 AM
Kemal

39 posts · Mar 2015
Istanbul/Turkey
As below or any automatic procedure has been written?

1) backup your database (use phpMyAdmin to do a database export)
2) backup the wp-config.php file
3) backup the wp-content folder"

TIA

Last edited by juggledad; Jun 16, 2017 at 10:22 AM.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 10:25 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Backing up should be a frequent event. There are many plugins that will automatically backup both your database and all the other files.

But to answer your question...YES always backup before doing an upgrade, be it the theme, a plugin or even wordpress itself.
and it's good to have a play site (a copy of your site with a differend url) to test the upgrade on before doing it to your production site.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 10:50 AM
Kemal

39 posts · Mar 2015
Istanbul/Turkey
Thank you,

And (a copy of your site with a differend url) means acquiring an new NIC name or alternately downloading WP+Atahualpa et al to my PC right?
Old Jun 16, 2017, 01:50 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
depending on your host and the plan you have. On my plan, I can create as many subdomaind as I want, so if my domane name was juggledad.com I could create play.juggledad.com and oopsidroppedit.juggledad.com or hello.juggledad.com.

Or you could buy a new domain name. in each of these cases you would point ythe domain name to a new folder and create a new database and install a copy of your old site in it. You should go to wordpress.org and read about moving/copying your site.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 05:03 AM
Kemal

39 posts · Mar 2015
Istanbul/Turkey
Many thanks

Regards