Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » New Versions, & Updating »

Can author of this theme or admin suggest an alternative to this theme?

Old Oct 27, 2016, 06:28 PM
alexmai

25 posts · Dec 2014
Can author of this theme or admin suggest an alternative to this theme.

I believe author is working for a major update or upgrade of this theme, but it has been years. And I still using this theme. Alot of stuff needs to update.

I really need an alternative to keep my site going, anything that is similar to Atahualpa will do. Need as light wight as Atahualpa. I will sure come back to Atahualpa when the author lanuch a major upgrade. this theme is gold, could make millions off it, I hope the author can really make it out ASAP.

Lately, what would be the alternative to Atahualpa for now? Any member can leave your recommendation down below. thank you so much!
Old Feb 9, 2018, 08:29 AM
Grum

49 posts · Feb 2010
Scotland
I would also be interested in hearing some suggestions for a replacement theme. Atahualpa has been fantastic, but it is getting a bit too long in the tooth now and I think we've been spoiled with all the configuration options in the theme.

Is there life after Atahualpa?
Old Feb 9, 2018, 10:07 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Sorry I don’t have any suggestions. I think Larry the other moderator started using Divi.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 11:52 PM
_kimberley

51 posts · Dec 2011
Amsterdam
So nu update anymore??????
Old Feb 24, 2018, 02:39 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
What kind of update do you need?

The big issue is tat a couple years ago the WordPress Theme review team made a decision that all themes HAD to use the customizer for theme options. To make Atahualpa do that would involve many many many hours of coding. One of the WordPress Theme review team members offered to do it for $4000.

Where would be the payback for eithor spending the time to recode it to follow there decision or paying someone to do the coding?

At any rate it still is working - i.e. I haven't seen anything that 'breaks' it.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 03:46 AM
Grum

49 posts · Feb 2010
Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggledad
I think Larry the other moderator started using Divi.
I looked at Divi, but read somewhere that it is quite messy in its coding, making it very difficult to replace once it's installed.

Another one I've looked at is Elementor, which is open source and seems very flexible.

My main issue with most of these modern template designers is that they all tend to look a bit 'samey' - big screen-wide bands, lots of empty space and not much information or styling, requiring endless scrolling to get at the content. That's the main reason why I still like using Atahualpa.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 05:36 AM
WebHeer

23 posts · Jul 2010
I use GeneratePress and/or Weaver.
Both not for free. But as Atahualpa becomes as good as it was the programmer can make a lot of money for it. The 4.000 is just a small investment.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 05:45 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Quote:
But as Atahualpa becomes as good as it was the programmer can make a lot of money for it. The 4.000 is just a small investment.
Only if Flynn was to start charging for it.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 11:42 AM
rickpoet

80 posts · Jan 2010
I investigated a lot of the new page-builder CMS's out there (Divi, Elementor, Beaver Builder, Thrive Architect)...watched a lot of tutorials, and read a lot of third party sites comparing them. The idea was to find something that offered a similar ability to adjust all aspects of a site as I have been with the many sites I've created with Atahualpa.) I eventually landed on Elementor (and am using the pro-version). It works indecently from any theme and is very easy to work with. The major difference in workflow, compared to Atahualpa (and by the way Atahualpa developers...I LOVE ATAHUALPA) and will continue to maintain, work with and tweak all the sites i've developed with it as long as it still works.) is I don't have to do nearly as much (mostly at all...) work with CSS and code additions. So much of the flexibility of Elementor is built right into the interface with the ability to adjust everything including the positioning of elements, a much easier and more robust menu system, and built right in is the ability to create, view and adjust versions of every page for different views (mobile, tablet, desktop.) I definitely think it's worth a look.

And just to be clear...LONG LIVE ATAHUALPA! I salute you Juggledad and Flynn!
Old Aug 21, 2020, 01:15 PM
SharonJ

644 posts · Sep 2010
Duncan BC Canada
Bad news for everybody. Juggledad has just told me that with Workpress upgrade to 5.5 Atahualpa will break. None of the links or things you have done to customize your page will work. There is a temporary work around by installing https://wordpress.org/plugins/enable...igrate-helper/

This is a warning to you all, though, it may not work for long....so time for everyone to switch to a new theme. I, too, have loved working with Atahualpa and thank Flynn, Juggledad and Larry for all their help and assistance over the years. I will be letting Atahualpa go with not a little grief.
Old Aug 25, 2020, 03:31 AM
Merlin1764

6 posts · Jul 2016
Wuppertal, Germany
Hmmmm ... Fuck ... today I got this warnings from jQuery Migrate Helper ...

* https://www.blogpool.de/wp-content/t.../ata-admin.js: jQuery.fn.live() is deprecated
* https://www.blogpool.de/wp-content/t.../ata-admin.js: jQuery.fn.live() is deprecated

... and saw this bad message, that this is the end von Atahualpa ... so much work to customize this theme ... all for the dustbin ?! ... BIG BULLSHIT

Any alternative theme to atahualpa ?
Old Aug 25, 2020, 11:04 AM
SharonJ

644 posts · Sep 2010
Duncan BC Canada
I am in the same boat as you are. 99% of all my customers' websites are based on Atahualpa.

I am looking into one called Mythos at the moment. Not half as good. But my problem at the moment is that the drop down menus are showing as top menu items. I am corresponding with the developers at Themeum to find out how to resolve that.

I understand that one of the moderators here, Larry, has moved over to Divi.

Considering that 10 years ago, Atahualpa was one of the top themes, this change to Wordpress is going to affect thousands and thousands of people. It is so unnecessary.
Old Aug 25, 2020, 11:05 AM
SharonJ

644 posts · Sep 2010
Duncan BC Canada
Merlin 1764, does that mean the jQuery plugin does not work any longer?
Old Sep 22, 2020, 12:13 PM
kdawes01

102 posts · May 2009
Missoula, MT
If you are willing to edit one of the Atahualpa files, you can easily fix the problem.

As Merlin indicated, with WordPress at 5.5 and the "Enable jQuery Migrate Helper" installed and active, you'll get this error message...

your-path.../atahualpa/options/ata-admin.js: jQuery.fn.live() is deprecated

If you go into your Atahualpa 3.7.24 theme and open the /options/ata-admin.js file in a text editor, there are two lines that need to change.

Line 17 is currently...

Code:
   $("ul#bfaoptiontabs li a").live("click", function() {
change it to...

Code:
    $("ul#bfaoptiontabs li a").on("click", function() {  //  .live is deprecated - use  .on  instead

Line 26 is currently...

Code:
    $("a#import-settings").on("click", function() {
Change it to...

Code:
    $("a#import-settings").on("click", function() {    //  .live is deprecated - use  .on  instead
The " // .live is deprecated - use .on instead" isn't necessary... If I make a change to a theme file, I like to annotate why I made that change.

Please accept all the proverbial "If you make edits to your theme, you may break it... etc."
Old Sep 23, 2020, 05:49 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
kdawes01 - Nice fix!!

Looks like you have given Atahualpa a little more life. I'll try to post a updated release here in the forum tomorrow.
Old Oct 30, 2022, 01:05 AM
thetravelchronicle

97 posts · May 2009
This still strikes me as one of the oddest decisions in the history of decisions. I finally had to accept the inevitable - if and when it does break, our business could lose $4000 in a day by missing a single sale. I have no choice but to move on. Just because Atahualpa started out free, so what?

I just put this question to the community forum over at Elementor:

Hello.

I am a refugee from "Atahualpa" where I was able to create a fluid blue gradated color field for a background on our header (and footer). It looks like this: ctsaspen.com

I would like to be able to preserve this look so that a new theme on a new site will be immediately recognizable to old customers.

Atahualpa provided an HTML inserts field in their options list where I entered:

div#header-bkgd {
background-image: url
background-repeat:repeat-x;
background-position:top;

}

div#header-image img {
width: 60%;
margin: 0 auto;

In a field for "Configure Header Area" I put:

<div id="header-bkgd"><div id="header-image">

along with the locations of the images. The blue gradated field is about 6 pixels wide and just repeats to fill the space it is in.

Will I be able to recreate this in Elementor, or is there an alternate method to achieve the same thing?

Thanks.

Any ideas from anyone here? There are many other reasons I like Atahualpa, of course, but this one serves as an example of how difficult it is to find out the capabilities of a theme in advance. I would have to tie up a refundable $249 just to ask the same question over at Divi.

When I think of all the things I would rather be doing, a $249 lifetime license would be a bargain compared to rebuilding our whole site to preserve Flynn's purity.

Jeffrey
Old Oct 30, 2022, 01:34 PM
kdawes01

102 posts · May 2009
Missoula, MT
Hi Thetravelchronicle,

The longevity of Atahualpa continues to amaze me! I still maintain a bunch of Atahualpa that just keep chugging along... A few even with Gutenberg Blocks!

I'm pretty sure that you'd be able to do that in Elementor. I only use Elementor on sites that I've inherited and already had that installed. Something niggles in the back of my mind that makes me think that to use Elementor on a site's header you might need to use Elementor Pro.

Should be able to do it in Divi as well.

Btw... Your gradient could also be accomplished using CSS...

Code:
background: rgb(141,184,227);
background: linear-gradient(0deg, rgba(141,184,227,1) 0%, rgba(91,118,147,1) 100%);

Myself, I'm using Genesis, generally with it's Genesis Sample child theme, as my replacement for using Atahualpa.

Genesis itself may have it's own longevity problems. It's author, studiopress.com, has been bought by WP Engine and they have have changed the focus to the new WP FSE (Full Site Editing) themes.

Genesis has been a very popular WP theme framework and has a large installed base. I expect that it will be a viable choice for many years to come.

I've grudgingly adopted using Blocks in WP (I use Stackable for it's "extra" featured blocks).

I personally don't like the "Swiss Army Knife" themes and plugins like Divi, Avada, Elementor, Beaver Builder, etc. They generally tie you to using them forever as they insert their own code into your content. (Elementor is relatively benign in that respect)

Just my 2 cents
Old Oct 30, 2022, 11:24 PM
thetravelchronicle

97 posts · May 2009
Your 2 cents are greatly appreciated.

Sadly, my gradient was created by hand in Photoshop, so an evenly distributed mathematical approach would look very different. Worth looking at, just to see.

Do you have any idea where the Atahualpa Options reside? I just assumed they were in the database somewhere. Either I don't know how to search a database, or they are somewhere else.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 01:09 PM
kdawes01

102 posts · May 2009
Missoula, MT
The Atahualpa options are in the database... Though I don't remember offhand their arrangement. Think the rows start with ATA.

Are you looking to change something via the database or are you trying to find a setting?

At the top of the Atahualpa menu, you can export the ATA settings as a txt file... Don't know if that would help you.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 08:55 PM
thetravelchronicle

97 posts · May 2009
I thought if I put the same line(s) in a database of a new theme, I might get something to work. I don't yet know if I'll even recognize the database structure in a new theme.

Last edited by thetravelchronicle; Nov 2, 2022 at 09:02 PM.