Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Header configuration & styling »

Cannot get rid of border around page menu bar

Old Oct 25, 2016, 07:36 AM
misangela

14 posts · Sep 2009
The border around the page menu bar will NOT change when I change the settings for it. I've made it white and yet it's still there. See attachment.

This version of Atahualpa is buggy as all hell. V 3.7.24

The right sidebar would also not accept any input from changing the widgets, I had to completely disable it.

Any help for these bugs or do I need to install the previous stable version?

Angela
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-10-25 at 9.33.25 AM.png
Views:	1643
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	2769  

Last edited by misangela; Oct 25, 2016 at 07:38 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 10:12 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
What is the site's url?
Also providing a export of the theme settings would be helpful

Last edited by juggledad; Oct 25, 2016 at 10:15 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 02:38 PM
misangela

14 posts · Sep 2009
It's tednaifeh.com. The site is in mid rebuild. I have used Atahualpa for YEARS and use it on my personal site w/out issue, but I've got version 3.7.12 not .24

I just happened to export the settings in prep for swapping the atahualpa from my site, since it works, but Ted's site was down half the day (don't use ITX for hosting), so I didn't get around to it.

Settings attached.
Attached Files
File Type: txt ata-tednaifehcom-20161025.txt (16.2 KB, 12445 views)
Old Oct 25, 2016, 03:16 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
when you use %page-center there is hardcoded CSS with
HTML Code:
div#menu1 {
	border: dashed 1px #ccc;
}
so you have to add something like this to the CSS Inserts option
HTML Code:
div#menu1 {
	border: dashed 1px #fff;
}
Old Oct 25, 2016, 07:55 PM
misangela

14 posts · Sep 2009
And where might I find that? There is a TON of CSS! I couldn't even find the %page-center CSS!

Could you be a little more specific?

And perhaps NOT hard code that in the future? It's NOT having to dig through 1000s of lines of code that makes Atahualpa a fast and easy theme to configure.

If I have to start rooting through CSS, then I may as well use any old theme. I use Atahualpa for most sites I build because it's configurable quickly, without having to code.

It's the beauty of the theme!
Old Oct 25, 2016, 08:01 PM
misangela

14 posts · Sep 2009
I think I found it.

BUT.

I still don't think this should be hard coded. It makes no sense that the borders around the menu itself can be changed, but not the border of the whole area.

This worked in .12 version, because I just tested it.

Thanks for your snippet anyway.

AND I haven't seen an answer why the right column was still there with default widgets when there were NO widgets in the dashboard. I've seen others mention this, but no answers.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 04:02 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
1) 3.7.12 is 3 1/2 years old and 12 versions behind - it is OLD - WordPress was at version 3.5.1 for heaven sakes - do you delay updating all your sorfware that long?

2) the CSS dealing with the dashed lines when using %page-center has not changed since 3.7.12 - it has always been hard coded

3) all you had to do was add that code I gave you to the ATO->Add HTML/CSS Inserts->CSS Inserts option - I have seen very very few cases where someone had to modify any of the code - using the options works.

4)
HTML Code:
I haven't seen an answer why the right column was still there with default widgets when there were NO widgets in the dashboard. I've seen others mention this, but no answers.
Then you didn't look hard enough - did you even look in the 'Sidebar & Widgets' sub forum?
Old Oct 26, 2016, 07:01 AM
misangela

14 posts · Sep 2009
I DO drag my feet on Atahualpa because of all the mods I've done on MY site. It's been a pita in the past to update the theme, so I don't. I update WP on schedule, but not the theme. I don't want my site to look horrible for days while I track down all the things that have been hammered by a new version.

I still do not understand why you'd hard code a design element. I spent 2 hours trying various things to fix that nasty dashed line and had to resort to coming to this forum to get the fix. It took me 24 hours to get that fixed! It was NOT an obvious fix! If the menu bar has been hard coded since the version I use (.12), then why did changing it via the control panel work for MY site, but not for Ted's? That doesn't make sense. Something must have changed for the new version. Right?

This problem is precisely why I don't update the theme. If half the mods on my site stopped working, it would be a MASSIVE headache to fix them all.

I'm sorry if you find my frustration annoying, but I just want my site(s) to look the way I want them to, without having to spend hours on configuring. I'm SURE I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Although I *can* root through CSS and add mods by hand, I'd rather not, which is why I use Atahualpa! I hope that you guys will keep that in mind as you try to move towards a more responsive theme. Configuring a WP theme is NOT easy, even for someone who can read code. I do NOT hand code sites any more, nor do I want to. I want to concentrate on content, not fiddling with WP. Hard coding design elements makes this theme more like all the other themes that require hacking and hours of CSS modification. That is all I'm trying to say.

So please take my comments as they are intended: as FEEDBACK. There is nothing personal going on here, so don't take it that way.

Thank you for your assist.

Last edited by misangela; Oct 26, 2016 at 07:14 AM.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 08:36 AM
misangela

14 posts · Sep 2009
The description of said element in the dashboard is attached. If it is hard coded, then why do the instructions say you can "make it dissappear [sic]"? And why does it work fine in .12, just as instructed?

I am only pointing out that the front end of the theme does not reflect what's going on in the backend.

That's all. Nothing personal. I love Atahualpa, or I wouldn't have used it for YEARS. I'm just pointing out a discrepancy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-10-26 at 10.31.30 AM.png
Views:	1137
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	2773  
Old Oct 26, 2016, 03:00 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Quote:
And why does it work fine in .12, just as instructed?
are you using %page-center in 3.7.12? or just %pages?

The option has always worked with %pages or %pages-right but never has worked for %page-center. You are correct though, it should work for %page-center as well as the others. I can even code a patch for it if you want.

as for updating - don't you have a test/play site where you test upgrades before appling them live? And if you don't, you should.

Also I hope you haven't been editing css.php and putting your CSS there. The whole reason for having the 'CSS Inserts' option is so you don't have to touch the theme files and your changes will survive upgrades.

Quote:
I spent 2 hours trying various things to fix that nasty dashed line and had to resort to coming to this forum to get the fix. It took me 24 hours to get that fixed!
you should learn to use the FireBug extension in FireFox. You can use it's examine tool to select an area of the web page and see the HTML and CSS applied to it AND you can change the CSS on teh fly to see what it will do. i.e. test it before you put it into the 'CSS Inserts. Most issues with CSS on using Atahualpa or another theme I can figure a CSS fix for in a few minutes.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 03:39 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Ahhh now I see what is going on. While the setting is not applied to the menu as a whole, it is applied to the parts of the menu. If the space of the menu expands to the width of the window, you will see the dashes. If the menu is just the width of all the menu items, you will only see a little bit of the dashes at teh two ends of the menu.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 03:58 PM
misangela

14 posts · Sep 2009
I do not use the center command on my site. You are correct.

But if the control panel gives me instructions on how to deal with the issue, and I follow that instruction, then it should work.

The whole thing is that I *did* follow the instructions and it didn't work. So you should make a note of that in the instructions or fix it to work as usual.

Does that make sense?
Old Oct 26, 2016, 04:42 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Well, here you go, a patched version of css.php, just replace the current version (in atahualpa 3.7.24) with this and iw will apply when using %page-center
Attached Files
File Type: zip css.php.zip (16.8 KB, 1117 views)
Old Oct 26, 2016, 06:23 PM
misangela

14 posts · Sep 2009
Thanks! I don't want to install it now, since I've changed so much, but I'll use it for the upgrade to my site, when I get around to it.

I don't like updating the theme, as I've said, it's too much work to recreate everything. Perhaps I'll just wait for the completely new version and plan to spend 2 weeks fixing what breaks...

I know, I know, blah blah.