Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

Varying number of posts on homepage, archive pages

Old Dec 11, 2015, 11:06 PM
redacter

14 posts · Oct 2009
I would like to have a different number of posts displaying on my homepage vs. my archive pages. For example, I only want one post to display on my homepage, but I would like 15 posts to display on category, tag, author pages, etc. This is the code I'm using, in the functions.php file, but it doesn't seem to work.

Any corrections, suggestions, improvements would be greatly appreciated. See the code below:

function number_of_posts_on_archive($query){
if ($query->is_archive) {
$query->set('posts_per_page', 15);
}
return $query;
}

add_filter('pre_get_posts', 'number_of_posts_on_archive');

BTW: my site is www.theimproper.com

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Keith

Last edited by juggledad; Dec 12, 2015 at 04:16 AM.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 04:20 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Your code works fine for me.

What do you have set at dashboard->settings->reading->Blog pages show at most? it should be 1
Old Dec 12, 2015, 07:51 AM
redacter

14 posts · Oct 2009
Thanks for your help!

I tried lowered the reading setting to 1 and still no luck. Does the code need to go in a specific place in functions.php? I just kind of put it in randomly... but now that I think about it, that may be the problem.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 12:18 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
This is a case where it would make sense to make a child theme so you can add it to the child themes function.php.

If you don't know how to make a child theme, do a google search becasue there are better writeups than I could make.