Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

[SOLVED] Site navigation problem

Old Oct 7, 2014, 10:44 AM
kitfreeman

57 posts · Jan 2011
Hi

This is not specifically an Atahualpa question, but I hope you'll forgive me posting here, since I'm using Atahualpa (3.7.15, with WordPress 4.0), and there may be a theme-specific solution to my problem.

I have an academic website, which is divided into sections -- Books, Articles, Conferences, etc -- some of which have several subpages (e.g., for individual books). Where a section has subpages, I used to have a parent page, with links to the subpages. However, I decided that these parent pages were redundant, since the menu bar displays direct links to the subpages on hovering over the parent menu item. So I deleted the parent pages and made the parent menu items not clickable. All good!

*However*, I now want to add a front page to the site with short introductions to each section and clickable icons (for Books, Articles, etc). This will only list the main sections, not the individual pages. So here's my problem: Where a section has subpages, what can the section icon link to? For example, what can the Books icon link to? It can't link to the page for an individual book, and there's no generic books page any more.

Does anyone have any bright ideas, please (short of re-instating the redundant section pages)? It would be really cool if hovering over the Books icon brought up a small popup menu of the Books subpages, but I can't find any way of doing that. (To make matters more complicated, the front page is in a table layout created with Tablepress.)

I'd be very grateful for any help. Thanks!
Kit
Old Oct 7, 2014, 12:36 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Why not create a category for each section (books, articles) and have the icon link to a category page
Old Oct 7, 2014, 01:11 PM
kitfreeman

57 posts · Jan 2011
Thanks! That would be a neat solution. But these are pages, not posts, and I don't think pages have a category tag. Is there some way round this, please?
Old Oct 7, 2014, 04:18 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Thare are plugins to add categories to pages. I haven't tested but here is one.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 07:03 PM
kitfreeman

57 posts · Jan 2011
Thanks! I've installed a plugin and got it working. It's nice solution -- thank you both very much.