Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

switching or changing themes?

Old Sep 11, 2014, 08:31 AM
pmasson

2 posts · Sep 2014
Hi there,

I'm new to wordpress, I've been reading over the documentation... there's lots. I have some html experience but never used this type of software before.

I am basically taking over a website for someone else who has left and am looking at changing the style and look of what is currently there.

Is there a way that I can work on making changes to the current website and view my changes without making it active until I have completed everything? I don't want to try something and find out it is active online to everyone.

Thank you
Old Sep 11, 2014, 08:51 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
The best way to do this is to create a playgroud site - a copy of the current site - and make changes there to see their effect tehn finally make the changes on the real site.

and don't forget to BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP
Old Sep 11, 2014, 11:59 AM
pmasson

2 posts · Sep 2014
Thanks for the info, is there an icon or something in the dashboard that I'm not seeing to create a backup playground that I can use? And how would I open it up in wordpress?
Old Sep 11, 2014, 01:21 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
If you want a playground site you need to create it as a new site on your host. I use a paid plugin called BackupBuddy that does it all fairly automatically. You can also do it manually if you want. However this forum is not intended to guide you thru something like that. You need to do some homework or hire someone to create the site for you.

Last edited by lmilesw; Sep 11, 2014 at 01:25 PM.