Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Montezuma Theme »

[SOLVED] Mobile dropdown nav menu appearing in non-mobile view header

Old Aug 19, 2014, 05:11 AM
Michael4fm

38 posts · Nov 2011
Manchester, UK
I've just been through an exercise of changing the hard coded CSS and similar defaults for the Montezuma theme. I've done this so that if (? when!) something I've tried not only didn't work but didn't work so badly that I want to wipe it out and pretend it never happened, I can 'reset all'. Previously, if I DID hit 'reset all' I'd then have to go back and reinstate all the GOOD things I'd done to tweak it to my requirements.

It has NEARLY worked. Now, when I hit 'reset all' it goes back to my last 'good' settings ... EXCEPT ... a drop down navigation link has appeared in the site's header area. As far as I can work out it's the navigation that SHOULD be shown as an alternative to the pretty icons if viewing the site from a mobile device. But I can't find any code in my non-mobile header that would make it appear ... and I'm pretty sure it's never appeared before when I've 'reset all' (then regretted it!)

I'm sure that if I played around I could just delete it somehow, or set it via CSS so that whilst it is there it isn't actually visible (it doesn't affect the actual layout - it shows up in an area that would otherwise be whitespace). However, the site I'm working on may well be visited on mobiles. I don't want to do anything that would disable or hinder their access.

You can see the culprit at http://disc-over.me/about/ Can anyone tell me how / why it's there? And more importantly, the PROPER way to get rid of it?

Any help or advice (or even just sympathy! ) gratefully received.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 05:25 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
if you are changing the theme code, I would get another cop of the theme and use a 'grep' like tool to compare the two folders you should be able to find all your changes.

I'm on a Mac and I use TextWrangler and it allows me to compare two folders and will show any file with changes and the changes in that file.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 05:35 AM
Michael4fm

38 posts · Nov 2011
Manchester, UK
Hmmm. That's a good idea.

I already keep a copy of the theme - though actually that's a copy of my amended one in the child folder I have - so that I can reinstate my own CSS when it gets wiped out by a theme upgrade. It won't be exactly difficult to get a 'clean' copy. And I think I've already got some comparison software. Didn't think to try that at a file rather than directory level. And if that software doesn't work, at least I know what I'm looking for.

Now I just have to be optimistic that I'll spot which change has caused it!

Many thanks for the suggestion.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 07:11 PM
CrouchingBruin

299 posts · Aug 2010
Santa Monica, CA
From what I can tell from looking at your CSS, you are missing the contents of the virtual menus_menu1_mobile.css file. There's a CSS rule right at the top which hides the mobile menu by default.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 09:56 PM
Michael4fm

38 posts · Nov 2011
Manchester, UK
CrouchingBruin, what a wonderful person you are ... and what perfect timing!

Had worked out by elimination and installing a completely fresh copy of Montezuma that there was definitely something wrong with the copy I was using, and was about to start the arduous task of checking things one by one after a few hours sleep when I saw your message.

I don't THINK I was actually missing all of the contents of the file - I've now got so many copies in so many places, I've got a bit confused to be honest - but if the code that hides the element is right at the top of the file, that would make a lot of sense. Part of my 'tidying up' earlier was to insert a date at the top of each CSS file so that I'd more easily be able to see if I'd made any revisions. It's now obvious that for that file I must have overwritten or deleted the first few lines, or most likely - it's just occurred to me - simply not added a '*/' at the end of the line I put at the top of the page, which would have simply caused it to ignore the first CSS statement and start from the second. (It was early ... the coffee probably hadn't started working!)

I've reinstated a clean copy and the mobile menu has magically disappeared, so thank you SO much. You've saved me ages of tedious comparison work, and once I've added the reinstated file to the live site I can get right on with the fun stuff!

[ I'd mark this thread as resolved, but for the life of me I can't work out how. It's early again! ]

Last edited by Michael4fm; Aug 19, 2014 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Small change in detailing the cause