Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Header configuration & styling »

[SOLVED] Different headers for different categories using Unique Headers plugin

Old Jul 27, 2014, 04:43 PM
kitfreeman

57 posts · Jan 2011
Hi

I'd like to have different headers for different post categories. I'm trying the 'Unqiue Headers' plugin (http://wordpress.org/plugins/unique-headers/). I've installed the plugin (plus the required Taxonomy Metadata one) and uploaded and selected new header images for each category, but it's not working. The main site banner (located in my atahualpa header images folder) is displayed as before.

Is this a compatibility issue with atahualpa or I am doing something wrong? Or is there a better way to get different headers? I'd be very grateful for any help, please.

I'm using atahualpa 3.7.15 with WP 3.9.1.

Best wishes
Kit
Old Jul 27, 2014, 05:26 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
I would try adding a new widget area in place of %image and then use a plugin like Simple Image Widget plus a plugin like Dynamic Widgets to indicate what categories the image would display on.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 06:47 PM
kitfreeman

57 posts · Jan 2011
Thank you for your reply. That looks like a neat method, but it seems to place the image in the sidebar. What I want to change is the header image (banner) across the top of the page. At present I have one header image for static pages (set in Atahualpa Options > Header Area > Header Image) and use the css code below to display a different header image on blog posts. Now I'd like to have different header images for different categories of post, while still keeping the old header image for the static pages. I thought the Unique Headers plugin would do that, but I may have misunderstood. Can you suggest a way of doing it, please?

body.blog div#imagecontainer {
background-image: url(/wp-content/ata-images/kf_blog_banner.jpg) !important;}
body.single-post div#imagecontainer {
body.category div#imagecontainer {
Old Jul 27, 2014, 08:44 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
The purpose of the new widget area in place of %image in the header section of the theme options will put the image where the banner is.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 08:09 AM
kitfreeman

57 posts · Jan 2011
Thanks! I didn't realize there was now a function to replace the header with a widget. That should be a neat solution. Sorry to be a pain, but can you tell me where to find documentation on how to set this up, please? Do I first need to create a new widget in the 'Add new WIDGET AREAS' panel?
Old Jul 28, 2014, 10:29 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
All the information on how to add a new widget area is in the theme options.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 12:25 PM
kitfreeman

57 posts · Jan 2011
Thanks. I've figured out how to do it and it does work. However, there's a drawback to this method, I think. None of the formatting set under Header Area > Header Image applies to header images positioned with widget. By contrast, my previous method for having a different blog banner (using the css code pasted in above) retained the formatting -- I assume since it still used the %image function. Is there a way of extending that method so that it applies to specific categories, rather than the whole blog? Thanks again for your time and apologies for my ineptitude!
Old Jul 28, 2014, 09:38 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Yes.. You will have to style with other CSS as opposed to the theme options.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 08:47 AM
kitfreeman

57 posts · Jan 2011
I'll keep experimenting! Thanks very much for your help.