Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Montezuma Theme »

[SOLVED] Working Links & Structure on Frontpage Posts

Old Oct 22, 2013, 11:35 AM
iSpectra

16 posts · Sep 2012
Hi,

I'd like to know if there's a way to enable links and structur of featured posts on the front page of the theme.

Example: (Page contains links and structure trough line-breaks).

Example2: (How this page looks on the front page)

Best Regards,
iSpectra
Old Oct 22, 2013, 04:32 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Not sure what you are asking...
Old Oct 22, 2013, 11:49 PM
CrouchingBruin

299 posts · Aug 2010
Santa Monica, CA
I think I understand. On the home/blog page, you want to see the HTML fully rendered on the post excerpts. For example, you want the links on the excerpts to be active (clickable) from the home page. By default, WordPress doesn't allow excerpts to contain HTML tags, because of the possibility that an opening tag (like an opening DIV or anchor tag) would be output without the corresponding closing tag if the portion being output as an excerpt is very long.

You can create excerpts which include HTML tags as follows:
  • Go into your postformat.php subtemplate (Appearances > Montezuma Options > Sub Templates > postformat.php) and change the bfa_excerpt() to the_excerpt().
  • Go edit a post. If you do not see the Excerpt field, click on the gray tab in the upper right corner that reads Screen Options, then check the Excerpt check box. You should then have an Excerpt field below the main post area into which you can create your excerpt, complete with HTML tags.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 04:59 PM
iSpectra

16 posts · Sep 2012
Hey, thank you for your answer.
If, for example, I want to make an excerpt for links or a break, is it enough to enter
HTML Code:
<a href=""></a> , <p></p> and <br/>
into the excerpt field?
Old Oct 24, 2013, 10:16 AM
iSpectra

16 posts · Sep 2012
Hi, thanks for your answer!
But what exactly do I have to enter into the except box? Html code like <a href=""></a> and <br/> (If I want links and breaks to work) ?
Old Oct 27, 2013, 04:33 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
You are responsible to put in the manual excerpt box ALL the text and HTML that you want to show up.

Last edited by juggledad; Oct 28, 2013 at 05:26 AM.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 08:05 PM
iSpectra

16 posts · Sep 2012
Alright, thank you!

One more thing: When I enter something into this box, a "read more" link will show up on the front page. But since the theme already creates a "read more" link by default, it shows up twice now. As you can see here: http://ijonathan.de/juedgemem.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 10:49 PM
CrouchingBruin

299 posts · Aug 2010
Santa Monica, CA
iSpectra, if you normally use the Visual editor to edit your posts, switch to the Text editor. The Text editor will display the HTML of the post. Then copy and paste the lines that you want from your post, including any HTML code like links or formatting tags, into the Excerpt field.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 05:28 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Quote:
But since the theme already creates a "read more" link by default, it shows up twice now.
true, so you need to edit the postformat.php virtual template and remove the code adding it in.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 08:02 AM
CrouchingBruin

299 posts · Aug 2010
Santa Monica, CA
What I did, instead of taking it out of the postformat.php file, was add this CSS to hide the "read more" coming from the excerpt function:
Code:
.post-bodycopy .post-readmore {
display: none;
}
I liked the "read more" in the post footer better than at the end of the excerpt.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 01:16 PM
iSpectra

16 posts · Sep 2012
Yep, that worked perfectly! Thank you all for your help!