Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Montezuma Theme »

[SOLVED] unwanted carriage return after > on custom menu in sidebar

Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:36 AM
jerryc

367 posts · Oct 2012
Florida
I've noticed links in the showing off thread that had what looked like menus in the sidebars with > symbols before the items. I liked that look and asked (on that thread) about how to make them.

I got this answer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgfrench
The > in the menu are standard with the theme I suppose cuz I haven't made any changes to it.
Then, in looking closer at those sites, I realized they were using categories or some other kind of menu, which had a different styling than custom menus. I tried to match that css with something applicable to my custom menu layout.

I almost have what I want, except I get an unwanted carriage return after the > and before my menu items. I've tried lots of variations, e.g., width, text-align, margin, padding, display, word-wrap, etc, but I still get that extra carriage return. What am I missing?

Thanks for your help.

Jerry

Screenshot
Site layout

Last edited by jerryc; Feb 1, 2013 at 08:40 AM.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:18 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
use a code examiner like FireBug in Firefox and you should be able to track it down if a few moments and then add in some CSS rules and play with the existing ones to figure it out. Might take a 1/2 hr but it should be doable.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:34 PM
jerryc

367 posts · Oct 2012
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggledad
use a code examiner like FireBug in Firefox and you should be able to track it down if a few moments and then add in some CSS rules and play with the existing ones to figure it out. Might take a 1/2 hr but it should be doable.
That's what I've done, for way more than 1/2 hour. I've tried lots of variations, e.g., width, text-align, margin, padding, display, word-wrap, etc, but I still get that extra carriage return.

Maybe something will jump out at somebody else that I'm missing.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 05:51 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
try adding something like
HTML Code:
.menu li {
    position: relative;
    text-align: left;
    top: -4px;
}

.widget a {
    top: -15px;
}
but prefix them with a #nav_menu-13
Old Jan 1, 2013, 09:40 PM
jerryc

367 posts · Oct 2012
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggledad
try adding something like
HTML Code:
.menu li {
    text-align: left;
    top: -4px;
}

.widget a {
    top: -15px;
}
but prefix them with a #nav_menu-13
I can see how that might work, but it seems like a hack rather than fixing the real problem. The categories menu css doesn't use anything that, and that's what I'm trying to emulate.

I think I just have something wrong. I'd rather find the real fix, but I might use your hack if I can't figure it out. Maybe somebody else can spot what I missed.

Thanks.

Jerry
Old Jan 1, 2013, 10:55 PM
jerryc

367 posts · Oct 2012
Florida
I figured it out. I now have:
  • Vertical custom menus in my sidebar,
  • > before each menu item,
  • > and menu item in theme blue color,
  • Long lines wrap,
  • Subsequent lines left align with first line indent