Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages » Excerpts, Read more, Pagination »

[SOLVED] Thumbnails in Post Excerpts not aligning or resizing

Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:08 PM
hopskoch

5 posts · Dec 2012
Hi! I love Atahualpa and have used it for several sites. I am having an issue that I just can't figure out how to solve despite the dozens of similar threads I have been reading.

The website I am working on is: www.frenchetc.org, using Atahualpa Version 3.7.9

I am trying to make the images on the post excerpts all of the same width - 450px - so that they span the whole column, and center them. Nothing I have tried - the Thumbnail Rebuilder, Regenerate Thumbnail, none of those plugins seem to be working. The Rebuild Thumbnails just says that it cannot find any attachments.

This is the code I have in Post Thumbnails:

float: center;
width: 450;
border: 0;
padding: 0;
background: none;
margin: 0 0px 0px 0;

And above that, I set the width to 450px.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks!
Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:29 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
1) How big is your layout (Ato->Style & configure LAYOUT)?
2) how big is your right inner sidebar?
3) How big is the right sidebar?
4) how big is the middle area ( MA = L - RIS - RS)?
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:26 AM
hopskoch

5 posts · Dec 2012
Hi juggledad,

1) layout is 1050px
2) right inner is 175px
3) right sidebar is 175px
4) middle area is 700

However, I tried making the thumbnails 600px with the ways that I stated before and nothing seemed to change, and they especially will not seem to be centered...

Thanks for your help!
Julie.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:06 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Quote:
I am trying to make the images on the post excerpts all of the same width - 450px - so that they span the whole column, and center them
if your middle area is 700 then a 450px wide image won't span the whole column.

if you just want to center the image, go to ato->Style IMAGES->Images in Posts and add
'margin: 0 14%;'

you may want to play with the 14% a little
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:25 AM
hopskoch

5 posts · Dec 2012
Thanks juggledad -
The margin fix worked beautifully ! However, even though my code in ato>post thumbnail is:

float: center;
width: 700px;
border: 0;
padding: 0;
background: none;
margin: 0 0px 0px 0;

and I put 700 and 700 at the top, the thumbnails are still to small... any suggestions?
Thanks.
Julie.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:37 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
In your CSS Inserts you have defined a max-width for the post image, make it bigger
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:49 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Also float: center is not a proper CSS declaration. You can have float: left, float: right, float: none, or float: inherit.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:34 AM
hopskoch

5 posts · Dec 2012
Thanks lmilesw and juggledad -

It looks like changing the size in the CSS inserts sort of worked - I made it 1000 instead of the 440 it was before, but it is still definitely smaller than 700 - do you know why?

Also, I changed the CSS float code as you mentioned lmilesw.

There is still another mystery though - why is the second image on that homepage slightly further to the right than the others? It wasn't before, and this happens with some random images...

Any ideas?

Thanks again for all your help, I appreciate it tremendously
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:24 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Your images should be as wide as the area you want theme to fill which look to me to be around 650px. To have them fill the entire area they are in and be centered I would use the following.
HTML Code:
width: 100%;
margin: 0 auto;
The first part sets the image to 100% of the area it is in and the second centers it.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:02 PM
hopskoch

5 posts · Dec 2012
Thank you this worked! So helpful.