Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

Convincing people to use Atahualpa

Old Oct 5, 2012, 12:36 PM
zingo5

92 posts · Sep 2011
So often I can convince people I am building sites for to do everything my way except for the most important thing. They insist on using some weird theme that is going to cause trouble. (Last one I did was missing the 'more' tag after the excerpt on all the archive pages-easy enough to fix but I don't think I should have had to). Even after you tell people you can make Atahualpa look almost exactly like the theme they picked they still want 'their' theme. It's frustrating when you know you could do the job in half the time using Atahualpa and they would have a better end result. Has anyone had much success talking people out of their theme choices?
Old Oct 5, 2012, 01:00 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
This is a never ending battle if someone has picked a theme. Fortunately most of my clients have only sent links to sites they like and want their site to look like it or at least something like it.

If they insist on using their theme I would just tell them that because of the way their theme is built more time may be needed to create their site and some things they want may be time prohibitive.

I had a client recently who wanted a tweak that would have been quite easy with Atahualpa but not so with the theme they were using. I just told them that because of their theme this was not a quick job and they accepted that. Others of said how hard could it be to do what they want and I have yet to figure out a good answer that they can understand.

Bottom line is I understand your frustration.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 06:03 AM
rosetrees

108 posts · Mar 2009
I rarely find it a problem. I always ask my clients if they have seen any sites that they like so we can use it for "inspiration".

I make it part of my service to explain to potential clients that I use a theme "framework" so they can have any design they like and it will use Wordpress so they will be able to log-in and make updates to the content for themselves without having to purchase expensive software or pay me to do it.

I had one client, recently, who'd purchased a theme. I just refused to use it. I used its design as a basis, but toned it down rather to match my client's logo. (It was bright orange, and I do mean bright.)

Most of my clients, happily, wouldn't know a Wordpress theme if it smacked them in the face. They come because they want something custom designed for them.

The artistic ones come with sketches, which make a good basis for designing - especially if they are local and we can sit down together and design the site. I love it when I can do that as they can a) see how the design process works and how much time it takes b) make as much input as they want so we get the site they want.

Now that I have my portfolio online I find people come saying "I like the site you did for xxxx". I never make great claims for my sites - as I lack artistic ability. I keep it simple. Those who want simple sites come to me. Those looking for something whizzy and bright go elsewhere.

If someone does insist on using a theme they've purchased I guess you have to explain that:
a) any customisations they want will take longer, and cost more, as you aren't familiar with the theme
b) you can't vouch for the fact that its writers will keep it up to date with current developments in Wordpress, so it could possibly be rendered unusable by further WP updates