Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

Choosing permalinks settings with regards to SEO and indexing

Old Jul 19, 2012, 08:51 AM
shalinisridhar

18 posts · Sep 2010
I am using WP to build a simple static site and I was wondering which permalinks selection setting would be the best to use with regards to SEO. I know for a fact that having the page title on the URL is recommended for SEO purposes. So if i am keeping with the default option of using a permalink with just post id for all my pages - example: http://mydomain.com/?p=123 - how does this help with SEO for the site? There is no specific title on the URL. Is this recommended? Will not my users find it hard to get to a page or remember these numbers?
If not, which setting is recommended and why? Could someone please explain in detail?
Does the permalinks structure selection affect how pages are loaded on different browsers? Again which is the best option.

I plan to expand the site later into a full fledged ecommerce site with lots of pages, but at the moment, just the important pages with text and images have been created and it looks like any basic static site. There is no blog facility and I only plan to add appropriate plugins like gallery and such.

I am using WP version 3.4.1 and Atahualpa version 3.7.7

Incase I do change the permalink structure and I lose my pages, what can I do to get them back?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Shalini
Old Jul 19, 2012, 12:15 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Here is an article to look at.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 09:49 PM
shalinisridhar

18 posts · Sep 2010
Thank you for the link. I did go through this document earlier. There are others which insist on putting a text first and no number. Check this link: http://www.weberz.com/blog/wordpress...ss-permalinks/

A little confusing. But I think having a text based URL for smaller static sites should be easier for users and visitors to remember.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 08:31 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
That article was written a year and a half ago and things have changed in WordPress. See this post from the same person as the link I sent before.

SEO "rules" are frequently changing and for me bottom line is writing good content that people find valuable.

Last edited by lmilesw; Jul 24, 2012 at 08:33 AM.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 04:42 AM
shalinisridhar

18 posts · Sep 2010
Thank you for the reply. Will go through this and get back. I think I have a fairly good idea of how it works now.