Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages » Comments, trackbacks & pings »

404 error when reader submits comment

Old Feb 3, 2009, 07:13 PM
beanfair

2 posts · Feb 2009
Whenever a reader submits a comment instead of refreshing the page and displaying comments, they get a 404 error. In the address in the tool bar is showing a double // so I assume that is the problem but I can't see how to fix it. I am looking at the code
PHP Code:
<form action="<?php echo get_option('siteurl'); ?>/wp-comments-post.php" method="post" id="commentform">
but not sure how to correct it or even if I am in the right place.
http://www.wonderfulweb.info
Any assistance is appreciated.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 07:41 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
That code looks alright. The comments go through and get posted, the second slash is being inserted by the browser, the error starts before the comment form, with a wrong link TO the comment form

http://wonderfulweb.info/social-medi...ring-guinness/ #comments

Note the space before #comments

Both the (main) links to posts (via the post headlines) and the direct links to the comment area of posts have a trailing space.

There appears to be a trailing space somewhere in your settings, see if there's a trailing space at Site Admin -> Settings -> Permalinks -> Custom Structure

Click into the right edge of the "Custom Structure" text field and see where the cursor ends up at. If there's a trailing space, delete it, click "Save changes" and try posting a comment again.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 06:40 PM
beanfair

2 posts · Feb 2009
Thank you, that fixed it. I added it a kudos to you in the comments there on the blog.
I was looking for a way to mark this thread as solved now but I didn't see instructions in the FAQ.
Old May 6, 2010, 08:38 PM
danielthepoet

1 posts · May 2010
Flynn,

Could you share some insight on my blog? All of a sudden, my visitors are getting the 404 error when they submit comments. Not sure how this could happen suddenly. This is the error page they're getting:
http://www.mommypotamus.com/wp-comments-post.php

My wp-comments-post.php file is present. I even reuploaded it from WordPress.org. So I have no idea why I'm suddenly unable to get comments to go through.
Old May 7, 2010, 04:45 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
danielthepoet: You are not using the Atahualpa Theme. This forum is for users of the Atahualpa theme. If you wish to swap themes and have a problem, feel free, but you should go ask the author of your current theme.