Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Plugins & Atahualpa »

Category Page Plug-in

Old Feb 3, 2009, 02:38 PM
brad

4 posts · Feb 2009
First, I would like to thank you for the very user friendly theme that allows idiots like me to make something that looks really nice.

I would like to add the Category Page plug-in, which requires a small code addition.

They say we need to add the code below, based on Kubrich

1) Open archive.php and find lines #8-9:

<h2 class="pagetitle">Archive for the "" Category</h2>

2) Change them into:

if( function_exists(page2cat_output)): page2cat_output($cat); else: ?>
<h2 class="pagetitle">Archive for the "" Category</h2>

(Here is a link to their site http://pixline.net/2008/04/category-page-25-howto-2/en/)

Could you tell me where I would add that code, with your theme?
Old Feb 3, 2009, 03:31 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
I am not sure if this plugin will work with Atahualpa but try this:

In index.php around line 41-42, find

PHP Code:
<?php // Do this for all posts:
while (have_posts()) : the_post(); ?>
and add this right before it:
PHP Code:
<?php if( is_archive() AND function_exists(page2cat_output)): page2cat_output($cat); ?>
Old Feb 3, 2009, 03:45 PM
brad

4 posts · Feb 2009
You were correct, that shut it down altogether. Do you know any other plug-ins which do anything similar?

Thanks again for the help
Old Feb 3, 2009, 04:15 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Perhaps it works this way: Make a copy of index.php as archive.php, and in that newly created archive.php, find at line 13-15

PHP Code:
<?php // If there are any posts:
if (have_posts()) : 
?>
and put right after it :

PHP Code:
<?php if( function_exists('page2cat_output')): page2cat_output($cat); else: ?> 
<h2 class="pagetitle">Archive for the "" Category</h2>
Old Feb 3, 2009, 04:40 PM
brad

4 posts · Feb 2009
That did not work either, I get a blank screen

I really appreciate the help
Old Feb 3, 2009, 05:03 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
I got it working on my test blog like this: In index.php, find at line 13-15
PHP Code:
<?php // If there are any posts:
if (have_posts()) : 
?>
and right after it add:

PHP Code:
<?php if( function_exists('page2cat_output')) { page2cat_output($cat); } ?>
Just in case: You'll have to click on a category, and the content of the associated page will be prepended, and not the other way round (clicking on a page, and the category content appended)

I am leaving that code in the theme so this plugin would be integrated and not require any edits, just like i.e. WP-Pagenavi.

Last edited by Flynn; Feb 3, 2009 at 05:16 PM.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 05:13 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Actually this code might be better and save (a little bit of) CPU resources.

PHP Code:
<?php if( is_archive() AND function_exists('page2cat_output')) { page2cat_output($cat); } ?>
Added Feb 6 - 2009: Use the code of post #9 instead of this one.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 06:12 PM
brad

4 posts · Feb 2009
Third times the charm,

I really appreciate the help, I will talk to the guy I am setting this blog up for to get you a small donation.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 06:20 AM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
There's an error in that code in post #7. It will display an empty "Archive for the '' Category" on (date based) archive pages and author pages. This will be fixed in 3.2.1. FOr a temporary fix use this code in index.php line 15 instead:
PHP Code:
<?php if( is_category() AND function_exists('page2cat_output')) { page2cat_output($cat); } ?>
The difference to the code two posts above is that this is using is_category instead of is_archive (which covers categories but date archives and author pages as well, leading to that problem described above)

(This code is already integrated in Atahualpa 3.2 - You'd just have to change is_archive to is_category in index.php line 15)
Old Mar 27, 2009, 08:49 PM
carlosa

2 posts · Mar 2009
Hey Flynn so i want ahead and added the change you mention in your last post. yet mypages are still blank.
all i did was this.
(This code is already integrated in Atahualpa 3.2 - You'd just have to change is_archive to is_category in index.php line 15)
is there a specific version of page2cat that i should be working with??
thanks man, i arpciate your time and patiance
cheers,
Los.
by the way this are the version i'm running

category page 2.5
Atahualpa 3.2
wp 2.7.1

Last edited by carlosa; Mar 27, 2009 at 08:54 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 09:45 PM
carlosa

2 posts · Mar 2009
hey actualy that fix totaly works.
i just had to use the [catlist=id]
the categorypage ui is broken but that might just be a bug in the plugin it self.
this is a great theme by the way i'm super happy with it, and how eazy it is to costumize it.
cheers,
Los.
http://www.losart3d.com
Old Apr 18, 2009, 07:50 AM
adamc

5 posts · Feb 2009
Here is a tip I have after short fight with this plugin.
To link a page to the category there must be at least one post in that category. If the category is empty the plugin connection does not work.

Adam
Old Jul 15, 2009, 10:45 AM
bcorrigan

85 posts · Feb 2009
check out this thread about the limitation of Cat 2 page,
http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=1564

and this one about combining page and category in the menu bar
http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=139
Old Jul 15, 2009, 03:38 PM
KatyDigg

319 posts · Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcorrigan
check out this thread about the limitation of Cat 2 page,
http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=1564

and this one about combining page and category in the menu bar
http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=139

Thank you, bcorrigan

very much appreciated.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 05:05 PM
harpek

32 posts · Jun 2009
Hey There,

I am also using Page2Cat with the Atahualpa Theme... I think I may have found a solution as to where to paste the line of code given on the Pixline website. Steps below:

1. From your wordpress dashboard, go to Appearance and click on Editor.

2. Select the file named Main Index Template (index.php)

3. Look for the following code (in an editor, mine are lines 5 and 6):
<?php /* If there are any posts: */
if (have_posts()) : $bfa_ata['postcount'] == 0; /* Postcount needed for option "XX first posts full posts, rest excerpts" */ ?>

4. Paste the code listed below, from Pixline right below, so that it now reads:
<?php /* If there are any posts: */
if (have_posts()) : $bfa_ata['postcount'] == 0; /* Postcount needed for option "XX first posts full posts, rest excerpts" */ ?>
# if( function_exists(page2cat_output)): page2cat_output($cat); else: ?>

5. Click Update File, and check your blogsite to make sure it's working properly.

That should do the trick.

harpek
Old Jul 31, 2009, 07:32 PM
lhanft

88 posts · Jul 2009
Cleveland, OH
Wow, aren't you the smart one! That definitely fixed it for me. Thanks so much for figuring that out and for sharing the solution.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 09:18 PM
boatnerd06

1 posts · Aug 2009
harpek

I tried your fix for it and im still having some troubles. When i paste the pixline line of code under 5 in the code that code just ends up showing up on every one of my pages. Anyhelp would be much appreciated. Im using the most recent version of Atahualpa and Page to Cat.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 07:03 PM
horsemansarts

122 posts · Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynn
You'll have to click on a category, and the content of the associated page will be prepended, and not the other way round (clicking on a page, and the category content appended)
Sorry to hi-jack this thread with slightly different question but this jumped out at me! If I wanted to be able to click on a page menu link and have the associated category archive page display the cat2page plug-in isn't the way to go? I've got a way to put a bulleted list of category items on a page with a tag '[catlist=xx]' on the page. But it is just a bulleted listing. I'd like thumbnails and excerpts like the category archive page. Any suggestion?
Old Sep 8, 2009, 08:08 PM
iemdien090

1 posts · Sep 2009
Up up,i'll come back soon, "THANK" for usefultopic, Love u all :-)
installing electric radiant floor heating systems cost heat hydronic need help for installing radiant floor heating systems, wondering the costs? installing electric radiant floor heating systems cost heat hydronic
Old Feb 21, 2010, 06:52 AM
wannabe

6 posts · Feb 2010
Hi all,

I am trying like a few others to have my posts displayed on a page.

I have page2cat .. and i use wordpress Version 2.9.2 and Atahualpa 3.4.5

But I cannot figure out how to make this thing work. i read about simply adding [catlist=id] but I have no idea where to put this.

Any help will be appreciated.

Wannabe
Old Feb 21, 2010, 07:43 AM
horsemansarts

122 posts · Jul 2009
Hi,

In theory, once you have it set up, you just put the [catlist=id] code on the Page you want the category listing to be on. So, first you create a Page. And, then put the short code on that page.

Having said that, I did get this to work. BUT the author of the plugin is no longer supporting it. And there is a bug in the code that results in everything seeming to work OK until you have more than one page of results. If you go to the Next Page via the navigation it just shows the first page over again.

Very disappointing as I loved that idea. The next best thing I've found is the Page Links To plugin (that someone here turned me on to).

The way that works, once you install it, is you create a Page as usual. Then, at the bottom of the page there is a place where you can enter a URL to link the Page to. Now that URL could be a URL that takes you to an external site OR it could take you to another Page on your site. So, figure out what the URL would be for your Category Page (I click on a Category menu item to display the page in the browser) and then copy/paste that URL into the Page Links To field.

Voila a Page that is a Category page. You can see I've used it on my site here (click on Portfolio):

http://www.foleyo.com

Sharon
Old Mar 5, 2010, 08:14 AM
Mikii

23 posts · Jul 2009
Guys, can someone recap things for me:
  • Does Category Page 2.5 work in Atahualpa 3.4.6?
  • Do I need to perform any code-fixing?

Thanks a lot for your attention.
Old Mar 6, 2010, 06:37 AM
horsemansarts

122 posts · Jul 2009
Hi,
It works up to a point... so long as you only have one page of results. There is a bug that occurs when you navigate to the next page. It just shows the first page again. Evidently the author of the plugin isn't maintaining it so to the best of my knowledge it remains a problem.
Sharon
Old Jun 25, 2010, 09:04 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
see http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=7770
HOWTO: page template to list all posts for a category(s)
Old Jun 29, 2010, 06:07 PM
Steady Hand

6 posts · Oct 2009
USA
Hello,

I wanted to have a single page that listed all my posts and pages by categories.

I searched and found a plug-in that I REALLY like very much.

It works very well and as I am a "NEWBIE" with both WP and Atahualpa, I wanted something that was easy to implement and EASY to administer and use.

I also like the VISUAL look of the page and icons (there are choices).

This may or may not be what you need, but it WORKS for ME and is VERY EASY to use.

I hope this helps someone here.

http://markbeljaars.com/plugins/tocc-plugin/

I am currently using it on a WP 3.0 site using Atahualpa theme 3.5.1

Here is my page so you can see one in use. My site has about 100+ posts and 35+ pages so far.

http://photomentors.com/site-map-12/