Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Page & Category Menu Bars »

Combining Category & Pages menu

Old Jan 29, 2009, 09:21 PM
Masselyn

91 posts · Jan 2009
So. California
Hello :

First, I want to say this has got to be the best theme out there. Customization is a joy, not to mention often a breeze. I do have one question, and forgive me if this was posted elsewhere (I looked...but that doesn't mean I didn't miss it). Is there a way to combine the two menus into one? I would like to have a category choice on the menu, which drops down and shows the categories...and then continue to have my pages, home, and other links.

Just wondering....thanks.

Masselyn.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 05:53 AM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
This may lead to unexpected results, I have not tested it

In functions/bfa_header_config.php, line 22, find

PHP Code:
$page_menu_bar .= bfa_hor_pages($bfa_ata_sorting_page_menu_bar$bfa_ata_levels_page_menu_bar$bfa_ata_titles_page_menu_bar$bfa_ata_exclude_page_menu_bar); 
and add this right after it (or right before it, to have the category links on the left):
PHP Code:
$page_menu_bar .= bfa_hor_cats($bfa_ata_sorting_cat_menu_bar$bfa_ata_levels_cat_menu_bar$bfa_ata_titles_cat_menu_bar$bfa_ata_exclude_cat_menu_bar); 
At Atahualpa Theme Options -> Header add only the page menu bar (%pages)

At Atahualpa Theme Options -> Page Menu Bar configure options for the menu tabs that are pages, and visual styles for all menu tabs

At Atahualpa Theme Options -> Category Menu Bar configure options for the menu tabs that are categories. The visual styles will be covered by the settings of Page Menu Bar

Last edited by Flynn; Jan 31, 2009 at 05:16 AM. Reason: Updated to point out that the Page Menu Bar settings will cover the VISUAL styles for the category menu tabs as well
Old Jan 30, 2009, 10:17 AM
Masselyn

91 posts · Jan 2009
So. California
Absolutely wonderful! Thank you so much for the quick reply, as well as the great advice. I will test it across browsers, to make sure it is stable. Very cool!
Old Mar 4, 2009, 12:07 PM
bcorrigan

85 posts · Feb 2009
What I did for the left menu bar was to create a text Widget and add
Template tags, wp_list_pages() & wp_list_categories (), with options and put them in an unordered list. This technique doesn't involve editing Flynn's great pages, so when you update your theme, you'll won't have to worry about over-writing the .php files.
You then style the list in the Widget section of Atahualpa Theme options.

More information about these tags are at: http://codex.wordpress.org/wp_list_pages, and http://codex.wordpress.org/Template_...ist_categories.

Here's my code in a text widget in the left sidebar.
<ul>
<?php wp_list_pages('sort_column=menu_order&include=3,7, 267,585&title_li='); ?>

<?php wp_list_categories('orderby=ID&exclude=145,211,215 ,230,240,260,265,270,280,290,295&title_li='); ?>

<?php wp_list_pages('sort_column=menu_order&include=2,10 1,667&title_li='); ?>

</ul>
Old Mar 22, 2009, 11:03 AM
markus

6 posts · Feb 2009
hi.
it seems it has to be a php-text widget.
with the pure text widget it did not work.
i found one here: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/php-code-widget/
cheers markus
Old Jun 14, 2009, 09:46 AM
molge

1 posts · Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynn

PHP Code:
$page_menu_bar .= bfa_hor_pages($bfa_ata_sorting_page_menu_bar$bfa_ata_levels_page_menu_bar$bfa_ata_titles_page_menu_bar$bfa_ata_exclude_page_menu_bar); 
and add this right after it (or right before it, to have the category links on the left):
PHP Code:
$page_menu_bar .= bfa_hor_cats($bfa_ata_sorting_cat_menu_bar$bfa_ata_levels_cat_menu_bar$bfa_ata_titles_cat_menu_bar$bfa_ata_exclude_cat_menu_bar); 
This works fine for me, the categories pops up in the menu. Just one thing doesnt work, the highlight of the category when you clicked on it. This works with pages, if you go to a page lets say "about" then "about" is highlighted, but if you go to a category-menu-textlink lets say "fruits", then "fruits" is not highlighted.

Is there any solution to this?

/molge
Old Jul 24, 2009, 10:11 AM
hamcake

2 posts · Jul 2009
I have used this method to combine the page and category menus, works fine - except - the category menu items are no longer listed in the order that I specified using the My Category Order plugin. Also, the categories that I specified to be excluded from the menu bar (uncategorized, etc) are still showing up.

Any ideas?
Old Jul 25, 2009, 01:16 PM
hamcake

2 posts · Jul 2009
Also, now that the menus are combined it seems the ATO settings for the category bar are ignored - I'd like to be able to restrict the submenu level but at the moment it is showing everything.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 05:52 PM
Puck

4 posts · Aug 2009
*bump*
I think this is a great solution, but I have the same issues with 'My Category Order'. Has anyone come up with a solution for this? Thanks a lot!
Old Aug 4, 2009, 06:13 PM
Puck

4 posts · Aug 2009
update: i didn't fix the problem, but i found an acceptable workaround.
the categories appear in the order in which they were created, so i just created doubles of my categories (in the order in which i wanted them to appear), and transferred my subcategories & posts to the new (properly-ordered) categories. only took a couple of minutes.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 04:28 PM
Whatsthatcat?

25 posts · Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynn

PHP Code:
PHP Code:

At Atahualpa Theme Options -> Page Menu Bar configure options for the menu tabs that are pages, and visual styles for all menu tabs

At Atahualpa Theme Options -> Category Menu Bar configure options for the menu tabs that are categories. The visual styles will be covered by the settings of Page Menu Bar
Hey Flynn! Great theme, I was wondering if you could take a look at my site, I have combined the categories into the page menubar as you instructed above, but suddenly it displays "no categories" after the pages. Like it says those words.

http://www.rogersayre.com/

Thanks for all your help!
Old Feb 28, 2010, 11:09 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
what version of Atahualpa and WP?
Where (what line number) did you add the code?

in 3.4.6 try using this instead
HTML Code:
	$page_menu_bar .= bfa_hor_cats($bfa_ata['sorting_cat_menu_bar'], $bfa_ata['order_cat_menu_bar'], 
	$bfa_ata['levels_cat_menu_bar'], $bfa_ata['titles_cat_menu_bar'], $bfa_ata['exclude_cat_menu_bar']);

Last edited by juggledad; Feb 28, 2010 at 11:13 AM.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 05:07 PM
Whatsthatcat?

25 posts · Mar 2009
I'm using WP 3.4.6 and Atahualpa 3.4.6 also. Juggledad, I added what you suggested and it fixed the issue! In 3.4.6 it's line 43 where you would add it, FYI.